News & Events
Convocation Ceremonies Mark Six Days of Celebration at Fanshawe College
June 12 to 19, 2012.
It's celebration time again at Fanshawe College. From Tuesday, June 12 to Tuesday, June 19, 2012, the College will open its doors to over 5,000 new graduates and their families during spring convocation. Fanshawe's London Campus will host 11 convocation ceremonies this year, where graduates will be presented with degrees, diplomas, and certificates.
All ceremonies will be held in J Gymnasium. Click here for live streaming video via StellarRadio.
Fanshawe College President Dr. Howard Rundle will also present two Honorary Diplomas. Brad Nelson, President and Chief Operating Officer of PCL Constructors Canada Inc., will be recognized on June 15 during the 10 a.m. ceremony. Television news correspondent Dana Lewis will be presented with his Honorary Diploma at the 2 p.m. ceremony on June 19.
"Fanshawe College credentials create pathways to great careers," said Dr. Rundle. "This year's graduates have good reason to be both proud of their accomplishment and excited about their prospects. We wish them all the very best as they move into the next phase of their lives."
Additionally, the College will recognize students who have achieved both academic success and contribution to the community and College. Five students will receive the Fanshawe College Distinguished Student Award for their academic achievement and contribution to college life and the community. Rebecca Molly (Developmental Services Worker), Nicole Serpa (Paramedic), Jennica Cottenie (Business - Human Resources), Vaughan Scriver (Manufacturing Engineering Technician), and Hannah Burley (Music Industry Arts) have earned the award based on their academic performance and contributions to College life. Other award winners include:
- Harry Rawson Award for communication skills and volunteer contributions - Sara Hodgins (Broadcasting - Television)
- R.C. Hamilton Award for leadership and contribution to the College - Lila-Kay Collins (Child and Youth Worker)
- President's Prize for academic achievement and contributions to campus life - Joel Foster (Architectural Technology)
- Mary Ann Darling Memorial Alumni Award for volunteer work at Fanshawe - Aleksandra Kubiak (Developmental Services Worker)
Fanshawe has invited community and business leaders to speak at each convocation ceremony. This year's speakers include:
- Christopher Hood - M.A.P. Program Director, Boys' and Girls' Club of London (June 12, 10 a.m.)
- Danielle Aziz - Director and Group Facilitator, Onward Social Skills (June 12, 2 p.m.)
- William Coxhead - Director, Parks and Recreation, City of London (June 13, 10 a.m.)
- Dr. Gillian Kernaghan - President and CEO, St. Joseph's Health Care London (June 13, 2 p.m.)
- Perry Ferguson - President, Voyageur Transportation Services (June 14, 10 a.m.)
- Paul Way - Vice President and Region Head, Western Ontario Region, TD Waterhouse Private Client Group (June 14, 2 p.m.)
- Brad Nelson - President and Chief Operating Officer, PCL Constructors Canada Inc. (June 15, 10 a.m.) *Honorary Diploma recipient
- Wes From - Vice President, Engineering, Trojan Technologies (June 18, 10 a.m.)
- Dan Mathieson - Mayor, City of Stratford (June 18, 2 p.m.)
- Richard Bain - Publisher and President, Binea Press (June 19, 10 a.m.)
- Dana Lewis - Broadcast Journalist (June 19, 2 p.m.) *Honorary Diploma recipient
This year's speakers are profiled on the attached document, along with two inspirational graduates: cancer survivor Candice Sickles and seventy-two-year-old Irma Foley.