Fanshawe Celebrates Spring Convocation
More than 4,700 new Fanshawe College graduates received their credentials in June during the 2011 spring convocation season.
Fanshawe hosted 11 ceremonies at the London Campus during the week of June 14 to June 21, 2011, celebrating with students as they received their applied degrees, diplomas, and certificates.
"Spring convocation is always a wonderful time at Fanshawe," said Fanshawe President Howard Rundle. "It is a privilege to join our new graduates and the people closest to them as they enjoy this special day."
Fanshawe's newest graduates celebrate their convocation.
The Faculty of Health Sciences graduation ceremony was held on June 17, 2011.
This year, five students received the Fanshawe College Distinguished Student Award. Matan Keselman (Music Industry Arts), Andrew Malcolm (Architectural Technology), Breton Eby (Practical Nursing), Stasia Landers (Recreation and Leisure Services), and Chelsea Gould (Business Human Resources) earned the award based on their academic performance and contributions to College life.
Other award winners included: Lori Matthews (Architectural Technology) - Harry Rawson Award for communication skills and volunteer contributions; Sandra Baleka (Social Service Worker) - R.C. Hamilton Award for leadership and contribution to the College; Franz Neufeld (Graphic Design) - President’s Prize for academic achievement and contribution to campus life; and Michael Lodder (Business Human Resources) - Mary Ann Darling Memorial Alumni Award for volunteer work at Fanshawe.
As always, Fanshawe was proud to welcome community and business leaders as guest speakers at each convocation ceremony. This year’s speakers included:
- Mr. Andrew Crosbie, Founder and Executive Producer, Sparks Productions;
- Mr. Richard Costley-White, President and CEO, Blackburn Radio;
- Mr. Vinay Sharma, Chief Executive Officer, London Hydro;
- Ms. Bonnie Adamson, President and CEO, London Health Sciences Centre;
- Ms. Michelle Palmer, Executive Director, Community Living London;
- Mr. Ross Fair, Executive Director, Community Services, City of London;
- Ms. Theresa Carriere, Founder, ONERUN;
- Ms. Sandra Drozd, Partner, Lerners LLP;
- Mr. Brian Young, President and General Manager, 3M Canada;
- Mr. Joe Fontana, Mayor, City of London;
- Mr. Sheldon Aaron, President, Best Western Plus Lamplighter Inn and Conference Centre.
Fanshawe President Dr. Howard Rundle congratulates Michelle Palmer, Executive Director of Community Living London, on her honorary diploma.
Michelle Palmer was also presented with an honorary diploma in recognition of her many contributions to social services through Community Living London, the VON, and various regional and provincial organizations.