What's new for business and industry?
Significant rise in funding, partnerships for colleges in 2013/14, says CIC
Canada’s public colleges and institutes received 19% more in Government of Canada research funding in 2013/14, says College and Institutes Canada (CIC). Federal research funding programs contributed $85,124,512 to colleges and institutes last fiscal year, according to Accelerating Business and Community Innovation, CIC’s seventh annual environment scan. This represents a 19% increase over 2012/13. Research grants from provincial and territorial governments also rose by 9% and 10% respectively. This brings the total 2013/14 funding from all levels of government to colleges to $207 million, a 12% increase over the previous year. In addition, colleges saw a 3% increase in the number of companies turning to them for R&D help, with a 9% rise in private sector contributions. In 2013/14, 5,633 companies engaged in research with colleges, contributing $78,275,674 to college-industry projects. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of those companies were small and medium-sized enterprises and most were in business and industry.
Other statistics of interest:
- 2,491 college and institute faculty and staff participated in applied research in 2013/14, an increase of 8% over 2012/13
- 32,093 students engaged in applied research, up 9% from the previous year
- Canadian colleges reported 1,083 areas of specialization in energy, environmental, health, information/communications technologies, manufacturing, natural resources and social innovation research
- Specialized research centres and labs increased by 37% to a reported 670 facilities across Canada
The full 2013/14 environmental scan can be downloaded or read on the CIC website at http://www.collegesinstitutes.ca/news-centre/studies-reports.
Putting knowledge to work for you
The Centre for Research and Innovation (CRI) is Fanshawe's College Industry Innovation Centre (CIIC). We work with companies to develop and implement applied research projects. The CIIC is the gateway to the College and its expert faculty and staff. We work with companies in a variety of ways.
- Research funds sourcing
- Pre-award project development
- Proposal writing and project budgets
- Business/industry/government partnership development
Fanshawe's Centre for Sustainable Energy & Environments (CSEE) works with companies to develop, improve, test and validate renewable energy technologies and sustainable building and transportation solutions, products and processes. Click here to find out how CSEE can help your business.
As a member of the Colleges Ontario Network for Industry Innovation (CONII) and Ontario's ONE Network of Excellence, Fanshawe College can link regional companies with the expertise of colleges across Ontario. Together, we're all about practical solutions to real challenges. Learn more about harnessing the power of the CONII network.