Here are a few fun facts about Fanshawe's first 50 years. Have something you would like added? Please forward it to Karrie Burke at kburke@fanshawec.ca.

1. Fanshawe had 720 students when it opened in 1967.
  2. In 1972, Fanshawe had a full-time enrolment of 3,300 students.
  3. In 1973, the Creative Electronics program was launched. It later became Music Industry Arts.
  4. The Alumni Association was founded in 1976 as a volunteer group. Bob Clark, the first Student Council President also served as the first alumni president.
  5. Fanshawe had 9,000 alumni in 1976.
  6. By 1977, full-time enrolment had grown to 9,120 students and the College finished construction of E building.
  7. 6XFM, Canada's only CRTC-licensed, campus-run radio station went on air in 1978.
  8. Harry Rawson became Fanshawe's second president in 1979.
  9. 'D' building was opened in 1972.
  10. Fanshawe had 615 full-time staff in 1975.
  11. Maria Mendes, a graduate of Fanshawe's legal secretary program, was the College's first Premier's Award recipient in 1993. She went on to establish a successful law practice and served as Chair of Fanshawe's Board of Governors from 1999 to 2000.
  12. The double gym and Fitness Centre opened in 1995.
  13. The first residence opened in 1999.
  14. The Spriet Family Greenhouse (below) opened in 2002.
    Photo of the Spriet Family Greenhouse
  15. Between 1967 and 1969, Fanshawe expanded outside London by opening our campuses in Woodstock, Simcoe and St. Thomas.
  16. The name Fanshawe means 'temple in the woods' and our name was selected through a city-wide contest.
  17. When Fanshawe opened in 1967, it had two buildings – now known as 'B' and 'C' buildings.
  18. By 1972, enrolment had grown to 3,300 students. Three years later, Fanshawe had 4,800 students.
  19. Harry Rawson became president of Fanshawe in September 1979. He was the former principal of the Ontario Vocational Institute.
  20. Fanshawe's 'four-F' logo was introduced in 1981 from over 100 entries to a logo design contest.
  21. The Bookstore officially opened in 1981.
  22. The new Woodstock campus opened in 1988 as part of the Woodstock Community Complex.
  23. 1990 was a big year for Fanshawe with the opening of 'K' and 'H' buildings. The School of Continuing Education moved from its old location at 520 First Street to the Oxford Street Campus.
  24. An $800,000 state-of-the-art Music Industry Arts recording studio was opened in 1990. (Below, legendary producer Jack Richardson in the Music Industry Arts studio.)
    Jack Richardson in the MIA studio
  25. Fanshawe opened a new Strathroy Centre in Middlesex County in 1991.
  26. Dr. Howard Rundle was appointed Fanshawe's fourth president in 1995.
  27. The St. Thomas/Elgin Campus began construction of Phase II of its campus in 2000, adding 14,000 sq. ft. to its campus, providing lab and shop space, student lounge and a studio/theatre to accommodate the Theatre Arts program.
  28. In 2002, the number of first-year students at Fanshawe surpassed Western's for the first time.
  29. In 2003, the 'Double Cohort' brought a surge in student enrolment as two high school classes graduated in the same year with the elimination of grade 13.
  30. Fanshawe began a significant expansion at the London Campus in 2003, funded in part by the Government of Ontario's SuperBuild program.
  31. Fanshawe broke ground for its new Centre for Construction Trades and Technology in June 2004.
  32. Fanshawe's second student residence and new Student Centre were opened at the London campus in the fall of 2003.
  33. The new Centre for Innovation, a partnership between Curriculum Development, Staff Development and Learning Systems, opened in the fall of 2004.
  34. In 2005, Fanshawe opened a new facility in downtown London that housed the Theatre Arts program, Continuing Education and Job Connect.
  35. In April 2005, Fanshawe's enrolment hit an all-time high with approximately 15,000 post-secondary students and nearly 40,000 part-time registrations, making it one of the top five colleges in Ontario.
  36. Fanshawe had 90,000 alumni living and working around the world in 2005.
  37. In 2005, the College went back to its roots with the construction of a new $14 million Centre for Construction Trades and Technology, below.
    Photo of student Romeo Johnson in front of T Building
  38. Fanshawe has had five presidents. Dr. James A. Colvin (1967 to 1979); Harry Rawson (1979 to 1987), Dr. Barry Moore (1987 to 1996); Dr. Howard Rundle (1996 to 2013) and Peter J. Devlin (2013 to present).
  39. In 2007, Fanshawe launched its 40th anniversary with community celebrations, including the renaming of a section of Second Street to Fanshawe College Blvd., as proclaimed by London mayor Anne Marie DeCicco-Best.
  40. Danielle Campo, a student who overcame muscular dystrophy to win seven medals at the Paralympic Games, became Fanshawe's 100,000th graduate in 2007.
  41. The Fanshawe College Foundation launched in 2008.
  42. The James A. Colvin Atrium in B Building is named after Fanshawe's first president.
  43. In May 2009, Fanshawe learned it would be receiving $31.8 million in funding from the federal and provincial governments as part of the Knowledge Infrastructure Plan, allowing the College to expand the recently purchased Small Business Centre at 1764 Oxford Street.
  44. Fanshawe became the first college to offer a mental health website for students with the launch of iCopeU in August 2010.
  45. In March 2012, the varsity men's and women's curling teams won the Canadian College Athletic Association Curling Championship at Fleming College.
  46. In April 2012, Music Industry Arts graduate, George Seara, won the 2012 Juno award for Recording Engineer of the Year with his title "A Little Bit of Love."
  47. The College announced the creation of a new educational partnership located at REACH Huron's facility in Clinton in July 2012.
  48. In August 2012, recent graduate, Damian Warner (below) excelled at the 2012 Olympics in London, finishing fifth in the decathlon, one of the most difficult Olympic sports.
    Photo of Damian Warner
  49. In September 2012, Fanshawe president Howard Rundle, Board of Governors member Brad Duncan, Foundation Board member Connie Graham and former Governor Filipe Gomes were presented with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medals at the London Hunt and Country Club. Staff member Anne Marie DeCicco-Best was presented with the Medal in July at the Marconi Club in London.
  50. In February 2013, the St. Thomas/Elgin Regional Campus received private donations from the Estate of Dorothy Palmer totaling $585,000, allowing the College to offer both welding and power engineering training at the Campus (below).
    Photo of opening of Dorothy and John Palmer Lab at St. Thomas/Elgin Regional Campus
  51. In January 2014, Fanshawe professor Stephanie Brewster edged out the competition to win $10,000 on the premiere showing of Chopped Canada.
  52. In August 2013, Fanshawe purchased the aviation facilities, Jazz Aviation, at the London International Airport, allowing the College to find a permanent home for its aviation program. The School would be renamed the Norton Wolf School of Aviation Technology in 2015.
  53. Fanshawe staff celebrated the grand opening of the Centre for Digital and Performance Arts in the Howard W. Rundle Building in March 2014. In the same month, the Good Foundation, donated $500,000 to the College. The theatre was renamed the Good Foundation Theatre. It was the largest gift Good Foundation has provided to the London area.
  54. At a staff celebration on April 2, 2014, President Peter Devlin unveiled the College's new brand and visual identity. The brand promise – to educate, engage, empower and excite – reflects Fanshawe's desire to help people reach their full potential. Fanshawe's new logo, dubbed NorthStar, was also introduced to staff during the celebration.
  55. Every February, more than 100 students in Fanshawe's Music Industry Arts (MIA) program honour Canadian music with their "Share the Land" concert (below). The event also pays tribute to the late Jack Richardson, a prominent record producer and one of the founders of the MIA program. Each year the students select a different charity to support with the proceeds from the concert.
    Photo of Share the Land concert
  56. Every spring, Fanshawe celebrates the success of our Indigenous students with the First Nations Centre's Year-End Gathering and Social (below). The event features local drum groups, pow wow and long-house dancing, traditional teachings, student award presentations, craft vendors and a free lunch.
    First Nations Centre Year End Gathering, 2016