Bev

A story of dedication

I first came to Fanshawe College in 1998 as a student in the Culinary Management program. I worked for a little while in the industry, but learned it was not for me.

I applied for a job as Support Services Officer at the First Nations Centre at Fanshawe; a place that helped me a lot during my studies. Because of the skills I learned in my program, I was successful in obtaining the position as the smiling face at the front desk. It was while working at that job, I realized what my passion was - to help guide students in their educational journey.

My supervisor at the time, Donna, encouraged me to think about university to open doors for myself. This was not something I ever thought I could do, but I looked into it. I enrolled in the General Arts and Science program part time, which lead me to Western University. I continued to take courses at Western part time, until finally in 2010, I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology.

An Aboriginal Student Success Advisor position was created around the same time and I was the successful applicant! I am currently the Student Success Advisor in the School of Language and Liberal Studies. I have spent half of my life at Fanshawe, both as a student and an employee.