COVID-19: Financial Support for Students

We know that many students are facing difficult circumstances because of the COVID-19 pandemic and we want to share some information about opportunities for financial assistance.

International students: Please visit the COVID-19 - Info for International Students page for more information.

General questions about financial aid

Can I talk to someone about my financial aid options?

Due to COVID-19, our services are being provided in a remote fashion. Our call centre will be answering calls at the times noted below:

  • Office of the Registrar: call 519-452-4277 or email
    Weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • Financial Aid: call 519-452-4280 or email
    Weekdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
  • International students: call 519-452-4150 or email Weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

OSAP-related questions

Help with OSAP application

Where can I get help with my OSAP application online?

Visit our OSAP and Student Loans page at

Federal portion of OSAP funding

What about additional federal funding for OSAP?

The Federal Government has implemented changes to the Federal portion of OSAP funding for the 2020/21 academic year:

  • To further assist students who are returning to studies in the 2020/21 academic year, the Canada Student Grant will double for eligible full-time students to up to $6,000 and for eligible part-time students up to $3,600. The Canada Student Grants for Students with Permanent Disabilities and Students with Dependents will also be doubled.
  • The Canada Student Loans Program will be enhanced so that the maximum weekly amount provided to students will increase from $210 to $350 for the 2020/21 academic year.
Reporting other funding

If I received CERB, CRB, CESB or WEPP in 2020, do I have to report that as income on my OSAP assessment?

The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB), Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) and Wage Earner Protection Program (WEPP) are Government of Canada income replacement programs. That means for the purposes of the provincial assessment for OSAP, any CRB, CRSB and/or WEPP income received during the study period should be treated as student study period income and is subject to the $5,600 per term income exemption. This income (alone or in combination with other study period income) must be reported if it results in you receiving more than $5,600 income per term. Include this income under "other income" in your OSAP assessment.

If you have questions, please contact

Withdrawing from courses

If you have OSAP funding for the 2020/21 academic year, remember to check with Financial Aid prior to withdrawing from courses as it may impact your OSAP eligibility. Also, be sure to get academic support before withdrawing.

Questions about federal government programs

Service Canada


How can I submit a general request for information from Service Canada?

Requests for general information regarding Employment Insurance, Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Social Insurance Numbers (urgent) and/or Passports (urgent) can be submitted to Service Canada through this online form.

Please note that this is a temporary service to ensure continuity of Service Canada services.

How do I contact Service Canada departments?

  • Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security: 1-800-277-9914
  • Employment Insurance: 1-800-206-7218
  • Service Canada general information: 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)
  • Canada Revenue Agency website (Canada Emergency Response Benefit, subsidy for employers, changes to existing benefits, etc.)
Other federal government benefits

How can I apply for other benefits, such as Canada Pension Plan-Retirement, Canada Pension Plan-Disability and/or Old Age Security/Guaranteed Income Supplement?

If you already have a My Service Canada account, log in and follow the instructions to apply.

If you do not have a My Service Canada account, you will first need to request a Personal Access Code by:

  • Contacting the Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security call centre at 1-800-277-9914
  • Requesting a Personal Access Code online
  • Using an existing EI four-digit access code that is sent to applicants by mail approximately two weeks after applying for EI benefits.



Shortcut to this page: