COVID-19 Forms and Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ: General information

Are masks required on campus?

Until June 27, 2022: Yes. As recommended by local public health officials, level 3 medical or three-layer cloth masks must be worn at all times on campus, unless actively eating or drinking.

As of June 27, 2022 and beyond: Fanshawe will be removing the requirements for masks to be worn on campus effective Monday, June 27. This decision has been made in consultation with local public health officials. Masking indoors is still strongly encouraged beyond June 27, and individual choices regarding masking will be respected.

Recommendations and requirements related to masks and other public safety measures will be revisited over the summer and fall 2022 months. If needed, these requirements will be reintroduced. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.

Is the campus now open for all visitors?

Yes. Passive screening is in place at all entrances—if you are feeling ill, do not come to campus. Use the province’s COVID self assessment tool to help you decide if you should self-isolate.

What services are available to students?

A full listing of services, including hours of operation and COVID-19 adjustments to service delivery, can be found on the myFanshawe portal under Student Resources

Students, please note for your login: you will need to include fanshawe\ in front of your username (same username and password you use for FanshaweOnline).

I don't want to study online/ don't want my child to have to study online. Will you move back to in-person delivery sometime during this semester?

Courses that are being delivered virtually will remain in that format for the full semester. More information about fall 2022 will be available soon.

What food options will be available at the London Campus?

The Fanshawe Student Union food services, including Oasis, the Out Back Shack and Booster Juice have reopened. For more information, please visit

Chartwells food outlets will ben open Mondays to Fridays in May, June and July. Tim Horton's and Harvey's will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pizza Pizza will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

A full listing of services, including hours of operation and COVID-19 adjustments to service delivery, can be found on the myFanshawe portal Student Resources page

Students, please note for your login: you will need to include fanshawe\ in front of your username (same username and password you use for FanshaweOnline).

Are there on-campus activities and services I can take advantage of?

Yes. Student services will continue to be delivered both online and in person for winter and other on campus activities will be available according to public health guidelines. Watch for details on the myFanshawe Student Resources page.

Students, please note for your login: you will need to include fanshawe\ in front of your username (same username and password you use for FanshaweOnline).

What areas will be closed while I’m on campus?

Not many. Cafeterias, lounges and study spaces will be open - some with restricted occupancy. Please follow posted signage and remember to practice good hand hygiene.

Please note: parts of the London Campus at 1001 Fanshawe College Blvd. are currently under renovations associated with the construction of Innovation Village. Some entrances, roadways and hallways may be temporarily unavailable. Detours are marked and signage will be posted indicating alternate access. To to view a map of the London Campus and more information about getting around campus during renovations, please visit our Construction Detours page.

Can we use the elevators?

Elevators will be available for use. Occupancy will be limited and the number of people permitted is posted by each elevator. 

Avoid touching the elevator buttons with your fingers if you can. Wash your hands with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer after exiting the elevator.

There are decals on the floor indicating where to wait for people to exit the elevator.

I have a question that isn’t answered here. How can I contact someone?

Please reach out by live chat online at or call 519-452-4430 x4277 – our team is available to answer your questions or refer you to the academic or student service areas.


FAQ: Student experience

How do I obtain my FANCard/bus pass?

Information on how to obtain your FANCard:

Information on the student bus pass:

Will bus pass be opt-in again?

Online students do not pay for the Bus Pass in their Ancillary Fee Package. If you purchased a bus pass in the Fall 2021 semester, your pass is still valid (until August 31, 2022); if you are a new student and would like to purchase a bus pass - you can do so by completing the online form. To learn more and access the form, go to Once you have completed the form, and met the eligibility, you will be contacted via email for payment. You must have your FANCard prior to filling out the form. *Note: some restrictions apply and no refunds will be issued.

If you are in a ‘blended’ program for the winter 2022 semester, you have paid the bus pass fee and your FANCard started working on January 3, 2022.

Information on the student bus pass:

Are Student Services available on campus?

A full listing of services offered in person and virtually, including hours of operation and COVID-19 adjustments, can be found on the myFanshawe portal Student Resources page.

Students, please note for your login: you will need to include fanshawe\ in front of your username (same username and password you use for FanshaweOnline).

The Office of the Registrar operates student service hubs at the main entrances of each campus (London Campus hub locations: B/T building, E building and the Student Wellness Centre). Customer service representatives will greet students and help them to navigate to their academic lab activity or to access the services they require.

Will lounges and homework labs be open?

Lounges will be open with available seating identified. Please adhere to the layout and do not rearrange furniture. You must maintain a physical distance of two metres in all hallways, lounges, customer service points, common areas and publicly accessible spaces on campus - including homework labs.

London Campus homework labs (A2020 and B1049) will be open 24/7 with limited occupancy. Pay to print is available in both labs. The Print Shop (B1002) is also open for printing needs.

Where can I print something at the London Campus?

Pay to print is available in both homework labs (rooms A2020 and B1049 at the London Campus, 1001 Fanshawe College Blvd.). The Print Shop (room B1002) is also open for printing needs.

Will students have access to their classroom lab spaces during unscheduled time in order to complete assignments as needed?

If using classroom lab spaces is part of a School’s Academic plan, students will be able to book appointments to schedule time in classroom lab spaces.

Is the Testing Centre going to be open for students with accommodations?

The Testing Centre will be open to accommodate testing. Students will book appointments using existing processes.

What parking options are available to students at the London Campus?

General parking lots (lot 5 and lot 8): available on a first come, first serve basis at a rate of $2.50 per entry. If you live outside of the London Transit (LTC) bus routes, you will receive an email with additional parking information.

More parking information on the myFanshawe portal:

Students, please note for your login: you will need to include fanshawe\ in front of your username (same username and password you use for FanshaweOnline).

Can I rent a locker while on campus?

Locker permits are now available online. Lockers cost $10 per semester (the cost for January to August 2022 is $20 total). Once payment is received a locker location will be assigned based on program locations. An email confirmation with the assigned locker number will be sent to your FanshaweOnline (FOL) account.

To apply for a locker go to and follow these steps:

  1. Select “Parking and Locker Permits”
  2. The program will prompt you to log in using your FanshaweOnline user name and password
  3. You will be asked to agree with the terms of service (NOTE: make sure to review the Locker Rules and Regulation before agreeing to the terms of service)
  4. Select which permit you want (Locker 1 Term or Locker 2 Terms)
  5. Select "Next"
  6. Select "Next"
  7. Check "I authorize Fanshawe to process payment for my Parking/ Locker services"
  8. Select "Add permit to cart"
  9. Select "Complete Checkout"
  10. Enter your Credit Card Information
  11. Select "Pay with your Credit Card"

A receipt with your new locker location will be emailed to your FanshaweOnline account (please allow up to 24 hours for this to arrive). All locker communication will be sent to your FanshaweOnline from

Will student equipment be available for loan?

Where media or other academic support tools are required for students to complete academic activities, items must be reserved ahead of time for counter or curbside pick-up and return. A request for curbside service should be made when creating the reservation. Reservations can be made on the Media Services Patron Portal, or by email or phone. For more information about Media Services call 519-452-4238 or email

Will there be protocols in place to help visually impaired students who may not be able to see signs, floor decals or visual cues?


Fanshawe's Human Resources and Accessibility Services departments consult on renovation and signage projects throughout the College, to ensure Fanshawe is compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). This includes ensuring people with low vision can navigate the campus easily, even during COVID-19.

When a student with low vision or visual impairments registers with Accessibility Services, an Accessibility Counsellor works with the student to ensure they are oriented to the College and able to enjoy a successful Fanshawe experience, with solutions provided based on the student’s individual needs.

Students with questions may contact Accessibility Services at 519-452-4282 or To register with Accessibility Services, visit

What supports are available for students who are struggling to complete their studies online?

Student and academic supports are available for all students through the myFanshawe Student Resources page.

I have a question that isn’t answered here. How can I contact someone?

Please contact your program coordinator, Academic Advisor or School for further assistance.

Office of the Registrar live chat:

International Centre live chat:

IT Services / Fanshawe Connect live chat:


FAQ: Co-op work terms

I am not in my graduating semester. Can I return to school and do my co-op at a later date?

Yes. Students who are not graduating may continue with their academic pattern then complete one co-op at the end of the program.

I am an international student. If I cannot find a co-op job, will my work/study permit be affected?

Please contact the International Office for this information.

Can I do my classes online and a work term at the same time?

No. Students are either full-time in an academic term or full-time in a work term. You may be able to work part-time - if you are an international student, you must first check with the International Office to determine the terms of your own individual work permit.

My program will be online next term. Will I still have to do COOP-1020 or COOP-1021?

Yes. All COOP-1020 and COOP-1021 courses will be delivered online.

What happens if I can’t find a winter co-op job?

Fanshawe has approved alternate methods of work-integrated learning such as a special project that would count toward your co-op. Students would be registered as being on a co-op work term. A formalized project has been created. Please contact your co-op consultant for details. Additionally, the consultants continue to seek out work terms for students. Keep checking the Jobsite and communicating with your consultant.

I am a degree student with a mandatory work term. What happens if I cannot find a work term for winter 2021?

Please contact your co-op consultant for further information.


FAQ: Health and safety

What safety measures are in place to protect employees and students while they are on campus?

Our goal is to provide a healthy and safe campus to support teaching and learning.


Level 3 medical or three-layer cloth masks must be worn at all times on campus unless actively eating or drinking.


Passive screening is in place at all entrances. If you are feeling ill, do not come to campus. Use the province's COVID self-assessment tool to help you decide if you should self-isolate.


Barriers will remain in place at customer service points, washrooms and in academic labs where they now exist.

Cleaning and disinfection

Nightly disinfection and cleaning will continue, as will provision of disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer.


We will continue to work closely with public health officials and will provide further updates as they are available.

What measures has Fanshawe taken with regard to fresh air intake, ventilation, filtration and exhausted air systems (HVAC)?

Since early in the pandemic, Fanshawe switched its HVAC systems into ‘pandemic mode.’ The HVAC measures taken are as follows:

  • The air exchange systems are now set to their highest possible exchange setting. Today, the air make-up in all college buildings is 50 per cent recirculated air and 50 per cent new air at any given moment. For comparison, the pre-pandemic rate was about 5 per cent new air and 95 per cent recirculated air.
  • Every day, the HVAC systems are programmed to fully purge each building two hours before employees and guests arrive on site and two hours after the last class or college activities have ended. That means at the start and end of each day, there is a 100 per cent maximum amount possible purge of the air in the buildings.
  • Where the College would normally optimize operation of HVAC system to run at lower air exchange volumes during low occupancy hours of operation, the HVAC systems are set to operate as if buildings are at 100 per cent capacity at all times.

These measures prioritize safety and sacrifice system efficiency, and to an extent comfort, by maximizing air exchange with the outside.

Do our HVAC systems contain filters?

Yes. Our systems use a type of filter called a MERV 8 filter.

MERV stands for "minimum efficiency reporting value." This indicates how effectively a filter stops dust and other contaminants from passing through the filter and into the airstream. This is the highest MERV rating possible for Fanshawe College’s equipment.

Do our HVAC filters filter viruses?

No. There is no commercially viable filter in existence that will effectively filter viral particles on the scale our systems operate. Even HEPA filters would not function effectively in our systems because they would restrict air flow to a degree that would actually impede the higher levels of air exchange described above.

I have heard of school buildings using small, portable air purifiers equipped with HEPA filters. Why don’t we use those at Fanshawe?

These portable air purifiers are being used in some elementary and secondary school systems in portables and other areas that do not have larger-scale air exchange systems like Fanshawe's (as described in the answers above). In Fanshawe's sites, these purifiers would move so little air relative to the air exchange provided by our systems that their effect on air quality would be negligible.

Is there anything else I should know about air quality at Fanshawe College?

Fanshawe College has dedicated in-house staff (three full-time HVAC technicians in addition to contractors) who work constantly on heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment and systems. They do preventative maintenance, active repairs and adjustments all the time. Facilities Management and Community Safety (FMCS) does various inspections and audits daily, weekly, monthly and yearly.

I have questions/concerns about air quality not addressed here. What should I do?

Employees can contact their managers and ask for an air-quality study in their work areas. Fanshawe has a certified industrial hygienist on staff. Employees can also contact one of the worker members of the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) or their union local.

Students can contact their Associate Dean or other academic school contact for more information.

What protocols are in place for washrooms on campus?

Washroom occupancy will be limited to the number of available sinks. Barriers will be in place between sinks. Arm pulls have been installed on all exterior doors to eliminate need for hand contact on handles as exiting the washroom. Queues will be identified outside each washroom with signage.

Washroom cleaning and disinfection will occur hourly.

What type of security will be offered on campus?  

Security guards will provide support to screening and COVID-19 related compliance behaviours. Special Constables and security guards will also provide first aid services and assist with peer monitoring and enforcement of physical distancing and other COVID-19 prevention measures. The Security Control Centre can be reached by dialing 519-452-4400. In cases of emergency, they can be reached at 519-452-4242 or through the Fanshawe Stay Safe App.

What do I do if I feel ill?

If you experience symptoms of COVID-19, complete the Ontario Health Ministry Online Assessment tool to determine your next steps.

For employees: If you begin to feel ill, please leave campus immediately and advise your manager or Associate Dean.

For students: If you begin to feel ill, please leave campus immediately and advise your program coordinator.

Is COVID-19 testing available at Fanshawe's London Campus?

Any student who requires a test can schedule an appointment with the Fowler Kennedy Medical Clinic (Room J1004) by calling 519-452-4230. No walk-ins will be permitted. The clinic is open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Do I need to quarantine for 14 days if travelling from outside of Canada before I come to campus?

Any Canadian or International student or employee who travels outside of Canada during the 14 days before first coming on campus is expected to abide by federal and provincial travel requirements prior to coming on campus. This may include quarantine, self-isolation, testing or other public health requirements as specified by the governments of Canada and Ontario. Student and employees are responsible for ensuring they are aware of the requirements for their particular circumstances.

If a student or faculty were to be diagnosed as having COVID-19 would the entire class that was in attendance need to be quarantined until they could be tested?

This decision will be made on a case-by-case basis. Through Public Health’s contact tracing, they will determine if all protocols were followed and will determine if the students and faculty members were at risk and/or close contacts of a confirmed case. Please note, that the likelihood of the need to quarantine is greatly reduced if all students and employees adhere to all COVID-19 protocols, physical distancing and masking.

If I have a cold but test negative for COVID-19, do I still need to quarantine for 14 days?

The College will defer to public health authorities' recommendations in each case as to whether or not a student or employee may return to campus. If you are uncertain, please call your family doctor, medical practitioner, TeleHealth Ontario or a public health unit for advice on how to proceed.

What happens when a staff or student is sick or doesn’t feel well? Do they need to quarantine for 14 days?

Please call your family doctor, medical practitioner, TeleHealth Ontario or a public health unit for advice on how to proceed.

What penalties are in place if a student or a staff member provides false information in their online screening assessment?

The College will follow the Student Code of Conduct and the employee disciplinary process. An investigation will be initiated and the student or employee may face a potential penalty.

Do I need to wear gloves while I’m on campus?

Gloves will be issued to those employees and students who normally require them as part of their assigned duties. Gloves are intended to prevent transmission of infection from one person to another. They are not intended to be worn during regular duties as part of personal protective measures. Gloves should not be worn during the course of regular desk or customer service duties as COVID is potentially transmitted from one touched item to another. Employees and students should instead, wash their hands frequently and disinfect common touch surfaces between uses.

What if I can’t wear a mask due to medical reasons?

If a student or employee is not able to wear a mask due to a documented disability or medical exemption, an accommodation review will be initiated to enable an alternate work or learning plan to be established. Students will access this process through Accessibility Services ( or 519-452-4282) and employees through a request to their administrator. After review and approval, a decal will be provided to affix to ID cards as proof of an accommodation.

When must safety glasses and face shields be worn for COVID-19 protection?

Effective June 11, 2021, where there is not a barrier in place, safety glasses or a face shield will be required any time an employee or students works within two metres of another person for any length of time. For example:

  • Faculty checking on student work;
  • Passing of material or equipment between two persons;
  • Two employees working behind the same service counter; or
  • Two students working or studying together.

What do I need to do?

Where faculty, staff and students already wear safety glasses or face shields (e.g. in our academic lab settings and service locations), no action is needed. Please note there is no exception based on how short or long the interaction is – if you are closer than two metres, please wear eye protection.

As a reminder, the Campus Store does have a limited supply of safety glasses on hand. Visit and search "safety glasses" for more information.

Are there protocols in place to sanitize shared equipment and tools?

Yes, there are protocols in place to sanitize equipment and tools between uses. Please follow the posted instructions in academic spaces for placement of clean and dirty hand tools and supplies.

How do I protect myself against COVID-19?

Please practice good hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette:

  • Stay home if you are feeling ill.
  • Avoid close contact with those outside of your immediate household. If physical distancing is a challenge, you are encouraged to wear a non-medical face coverings (e.g. cloth mask, disposable mask, bandana, scarf or similar item that covers the nose, mouth and chin without gapping).
  • Non-medical face coverings should be worn at all times when in publicly accessible places (hallways, academic labs and classrooms, washrooms, reception areas, food services, etc.).

    Please note disposable masks with exhale valves or vents are not permitted, as they do not prevent the spread of droplets. In addition, face shields and hard plastic facemasks that rest on the chin and do not make contact with the rest of the face are also not permitted substitutes, as they do not cover the nose and mouth adequately.
    *NOTE: Wearing a non-medical face covering does not exempt you from other requirements or good hygiene practices.

  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue away in a closed garbage bin and wash your hands immediately. You can also cough into your sleeve.
  • Clean your hands often with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (including your phone).

For more information, you can visit the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) COVID website.