Information for international students for Winter 2021
Updated November 18, 2020.
To contact the International Centre, please phone 519-452-4150 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. You can also reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current students can meet with an International Student Life Coordinator Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Please use this link to book your appointment.
Future students can meet online with our International Education representatives around the world.
COVID-19 Readiness Plan
Please check this link for information about Fanshawe's COVID-19 Readiness Plan, getting ready to travel to Canada, arriving in Canada, the 14-day quarantine period, coming to campus, COVID-19 testing, etc. Fanshawe Cares can help with creating a quarantine plan, resources during quarantine, travel arrangements, and more. Your quarantine plan must be submitted and approved by Fanshawe College 5 days before you plan to travel.
November/December 2020 events
There are many online events for International students this month. Hope you can join us!
Fanshawe Cares: 14 days of online sessions via Zoom (Sessions run from November 9 to 26, 2020 and again from November 30 to December 17, 2020):
Fanshawe Cares registration link for all sessions.
Sessions are held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (EST).
- November 9, 2020 - Day 1: Welcome to London and to Fanshawe!
- November 10, 2020 - Day 2: Arrival Supports and What to know for Quarantine
- November 11, 2020 - Day 3: Introduction to Fanshawe’s Career and Entrepreneurial Services
- November 12, 2020 - Day 4: Practical Matters: SINs, Banking, Common Scams, Phones, and Shopping Options
- November 13, 2020 - Day 5: Student Success – Student Learning Supports, Counselling and Accessibility Services
- November 16, 2020 - Day 6: Housing 101 – what do I need to know about landlords, being a tenant and roommates
- November 17, 2020- Day 7: Working while Studying – how to respect the conditions of your Study Permit, and job search resources and supports
- November 18, 2020 - Day 8: Library Services – supports and resources for students
- November 19, 2020 - Day 9: How to do Virtual Job Searching and Networking
- November 20, 2020 - Day 10: Fanshawe Wellness Centre
- November 23, 2020 - Day 11: Students safety on campus and new COVID safety measures
- November 24, 2020 - Day 12: Health Insurance FAQ with Morcare
- November 25, 2020 - Day 13: Fanshawe Programs to help students feel more at “home” and focused on their future careers goals
- November 26, 2020- Day 14: Fanshawe Union – Here for You! Activities and programs available to Fanshawe Students
- November 30, 2020 - Day 1: Welcome to London and to Fanshawe!
- December 1, 2020 - Day 2: Arrival Supports and What to know for Quarantine
- December 2, 2020 - Day 3: Introduction to Fanshawe’s Career and Entrepreneurial Services
- December 3, 2020 - Day 4: Practical Matters: SINs, Banking, Common Scams, Phones, and Shopping Options
- December 4, 2020 - Day 5: Student Success – Student Learning Supports, Counselling & Accessibility Services
- December 7, 2020 - Day 6: Housing 101 – what do I need to know about landlords, being a tenant and roommates
- December 8, 2020 - Day 7: Fanshawe Wellness Centre
- December 9, 2020 - Day 8: Library Services – supports and resources for students
- December 10, 2020 - Day 9: How to do Virtual Job Searching and Networking
- December 11, 2020 - Day 10: Working while Studying – how to respect the conditions of your Study Permit, and job search resources and supports
- December 14, 2020 - Day 11: Students safety on campus and new COVID safety measures
- December 15, 2020 - Day 12: Health Insurance FAQ with Morcare
- December 16, 2020 - Day 13: Fanshawe Programs to help students feel more at "home" and focused on their future careers goals.
- December 17, 2020 - Day 14: Fanshawe Union – Here for You! Activities and programs available to Fanshawe Students
Winter 2021 students
Q. How do I know if my program is moving to online delivery or a blended format – a mixture of online and face-to-face delivery?
A. Students and education agents have been contacted by email.
Q. I don’t think online delivery is for me. Can I defer my program to a future date?
A. Yes. Fanshawe will work with you to determine the most suitable approach in this challenging situation. If you wish to defer, please contact your agent or email email@example.com.
Q. Can I withdraw from my program scheduled to begin in January 2021?
A. Yes. We will be happy to work with you to find a solution for the January 2021 semester. However, if you would like to withdraw and request a refund, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q. Did the billing change for Morcare health insurance?
A. Yes. As of the Fall 2020 semester, Health Insurance is billed on an annual basis.
Students starting Fall 2020 will be invoiced for the full year of coverage (September 2020 to August 2021).
Students starting Winter 2021 will be invoiced (pro-rated) for coverage for the remaining months of the academic year (January 2021 to August 2021).
Students starting Summer 2021 will be invoiced (pro-rated) for coverage for the remaining months of the academic year (May 2021 to August 2021).
If your program continues in September 2021, that is the beginning of the billing cycle for the next academic year.
Q. I am currently in Canada and was planning to start the first term of my program but my program has been deferred to a future start date. Am I allowed to stay in Canada or what are my options?
A. If you are already in Canada, you must begin your program the following semester or within 150 days of receiving the deferral notice, whichever comes first. However, you are not be eligible to work on/off-campus until your program starts.
If you are in Canada and your program start date is more than 150 calendar days from now, you may need to leave Canada.
If you do not wish to leave Canada, you should consider applying for Visitor status: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html
Q. I completed my program, and my next program has been deferred to a future term. Can I continue to stay in Canada? Am I able to work during this time?
A. You can only work 150 calendar days in between the end of a program that you have successfully finished, and the start of a new program.
You might need to extend your study permit and co-op work permit (if applicable), based on your new program start date.
Q. My courses for Level 2 or above are offered entirely online or through a combination of both online and face-to-face delivery for the new term. Can I defer my registration to a future term?
A. If you choose to take a term off, you will NOT be considered a registered student for the term. (This means you are not allowed to work.) This could also negatively affect your program progression and your eligibility for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).
Q. Can I work in Canada if my courses are online?
A. Yes. Online and blended course delivery are the current alternative options due to COVID-19. This means you are eligible to work 20 hours per week.
Q. I’m in Canada and was scheduled to continue my program (Level 2 or above of the same program) in the next term, but the level has been deferred to a future term. Is this a scheduled break and am I eligible to work full-time?
A. Yes. If your program has been deferred by the College to a future term, this is considered a scheduled break. During regularly scheduled breaks, you may work up to full-time hours. (You must have been a full-time student in the previous term, and be registered as a full-time student in the future term).
However, students in Canada should not work more than 150 calendar days consecutively for each calendar year.
Q. Can I apply for my Post Graduate Work Permit with an unofficial transcript from WebAdvisor?
A. Yes. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has confirmed that the WebAdvisor transcript will be accepted.
Q. Are there any temporary measures in place for applying for Social Insurance Numbers?
A. Yes. Please check this link for updated information from Service Canada.
Q. Where can I seek medical attention?
A. If you believe you have symptoms of COVID-19, please use the the Ontario government’s self-assessment tool.
Q. Where can I get a COVID-19 test?
A. Testing is available at the Fowler Kennedy Medical Clinic on the London Campus for students who:
- Are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19;
- Are returning from travel;
- Are sent by the Middlesex-London Health Unit;
- Have received an alert from the COVID Alert app.
Students can schedule a COVID-19 test with the Fowler Kennedy Medical Clinic on the London Campus by calling 519-452-4230 (no walk-ins will be permitted). The clinic, located in the Student Wellness Centre, is open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Please contact the London Middlesex Health Unit for COVID-19 test sites in London.
Q. If I need medical treatment, does Morcare cover me?
A. Yes, Morcare can "confirm that the COVID-19 outbreak does not affect student's coverage in Canada. Students are covered for related medical visits, tests and hospitalization in regards to the virus."
Q. How can I contact Morcare if I have questions?
A. As always, the Morcare call centre is available to assist with any inquiry, appointment set up and coverage confirmation. Students can reach Morcare staff by calling 1-888-985-1552. In addition, students can reach out to Morcare directly. The team is equipped to take COVID-19 calls anytime. Students can reach IAassist at 1-866-472-8356.
Q. Many IELTS test centres are closed around the world. Are there any new options available to meet English requirements?
A. Fanshawe College will accept the Duolingo Language Test and the IELTS Indicator Test for some future intakes. More details are available on the English Language Requirements page.
Q. I have questions about work and my PGWP. Who can I contact?
Q. How can I find any of the online video sessions done by Fanshawe International?
A. You can connect with our social media accounts to see what we have been doing.
Shortcut to this page: www.fanshawec.ca/covid19/international