COVID 19 - Info for International Students

Information for international students for September 2020

Updated July 7, 2020.

Fanshawe International Student Experience Guarantee

To contact the International Centre, please phone 519-452-4150, 519-630-2136, 519-619-9205, 519-619-9671 or 519-619-6823 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. You can also reach us at

September 2020 students

Q. How do I know if my program is moving to online delivery or a blended format – a mixture of online and face-to-face delivery?

A. Students and education agents have been contacted by email.


Q. I am planning to travel to Canada by air. What do I need to know?

A. If you are planning to travel to Canada by air, you will need to pass a health check conducted by an airline before you will be allowed to board your flight. If you have a valid study permit, or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, you are exempt from the travel restrictions. Please visit the Government of Canada's "Before You Travel" site for more information.

When you arrive in Canada, your health will be assessed again and you must have a plan to self-isolate for 14 days. This is mandatory; this means not leaving where you are staying for any reason and not interacting with anyone outside your home for 14 days. If you would like more information on prices and availability at local hotels, grocery delivery services, and shuttle options from Toronto’s Pearson Airport to London, Ontario, please contact


Q. What if my study permit application was approved after March 18, 2020?

A. IRCC will be sending you a letter (push notification) advising you that: you may not be exempt from the travel restrictions, and that you should not make any plans to travel to Canada until the travel restrictions are lifted, as you will not be allowed to travel to or enter Canada.


Q. What is the latest IRCC update regarding Post-Graduate Work Permits?

A. If your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, you are still eligible for the Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). Further information is available on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) website.


Q. I don’t think online delivery is for me. Can I defer my program from September 2020 to a future date?

A. Yes. Fanshawe will work with you to determine the most suitable approach in this challenging situation. If you wish to defer, please contact your agent or email


Q. Can I withdraw from my program scheduled to begin in September 2020?

A. Yes. We will be happy to work with you to find a solution for the September 2020 semester. However, if you would like to withdraw and request a refund, please contact


Q. I would like to meet with an advisor from the International Centre. How can I do that?

A. Student Support Services have moved to virtual delivery (online or by phone). Online appointments with International Student Life Co-ordinators are available Monday through Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Please use this link to book your appointment.


Q. Did the billing change for Morcare health insurance?

A. Yes. As of the Fall 2020 semester, Health Insurance is billed on an annual basis. 

Students starting Fall 2020 will be invoiced for the full year of coverage (September 2020 to August 2021).

Students starting Winter 2021 will be invoiced (pro-rated) for coverage for the remaining months of the academic year (January 2021 to August 2021).

Students starting Summer 2021 will be invoiced (pro-rated) for coverage for the remaining months of the academic year (May 2021 to August 2021).

If your program continues in September 2021, that is the beginning of the billing cycle for the next academic year.


Q. Are counselling services available if I need to speak to someone?

A. Yes. Counselling and Accessibility Services are available for students. Please call 519-452-4282 or email for personal counselling or for accessibility services.

For immediate mental health support, students can contact Reach Out at 1-866-933-2023 or visit the 24/7 walk-in Crisis Centre located at 648 Huron Street, London, ON. Good2Talk is a 24/7 helpline for post-secondary students and can be reached at 1-866-925-5454.

Morcare has information available as well through their partners at Real Campus. Here is an article about managing anxiety and stress.


Q. What financial support does Fanshawe provide for international students?

A. Technology Scholarship for Summer 2020 Students: International Students who successfully complete their online term in summer 2020 and are proceeding in their studies for fall 2020 will be eligible to receive a $500 technology scholarship. This will be credited against student accounts. Eligible students will be notified. This disbursement will begin the first week of classes.

International COVID-19 Online Technology Award: Only level 1 international students registered in a fully online program for fall 2020 are eligible. Maximum $1000 to be paid out as $500 in level 2 after successfully completing level 1 studies in fall 2020 and continuing level 2 in winter 2021 and an additional $500 after successfully completing level 2 in Winter 2021 and continuing in level 3 or level 1 of the next program. This will be credited against student accounts. Eligible students will be notified. Only students who have not accessed any other scholarship/award for fall 2020 will be eligible.

Immigration issues

Q. I am currently in Canada and was planning to start the first term of my program but my program has been deferred to a future start date. Am I allowed to stay in Canada or what are my options?

A. If you are already in Canada, you must begin your program the following semester or within 150 days of receiving the deferral notice, whichever comes first. However, you will not be eligible to work on/off-campus until your program starts.

If you are in Canada and your program start date is more than 150 calendar days from now, you may need to leave Canada.

If you do not wish to leave Canada, you should consider applying for Visitor status:


Q. I completed my program, and my next program has been deferred to a future term. Can I continue to stay in Canada? Am I able to work during this time?

A. You can only work 150 calendar days in between the end of a program that you have successfully finished, and the start of a new program.

You can stay in Canada, and you might need to extend your study permit, and co-op work permit (if applicable), based on your new program start date. This will also keep immigration updated with your registration records.


Q. My courses for Level 2 or above are offered entirely online or through a combination of both online and face to face delivery for the new term. Can I defer my registration to a future term? Am I able to work if I defer to January 2021 (21W)?

A. If you are choosing to take a term off, this will result in you NOT being a registered student for the term. (Students who are not registered will not be eligible to work in Canada). This could also negatively affect your program progression and your eligibility for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) because your program may not be considered to be completed continuously full-time.


Q. Can I work in Canada if my courses are online?

A. Yes. Online and blended course delivery are the current alternative options due to COVID-19. This means you are still considered a registered full-time student and are eligible to work 20 hours per week.

If you are working in a recognized essential service, you may work more than 20 hours until August 31, 2020. For more information on essential services, please review:


Q. I’m currently in Canada and was scheduled to continue my program (Level 2 or above of the same program) in the next term, but the level has been deferred to a future term. Is this a scheduled break and am I eligible to work full-time?

A. Yes. If your program has been deferred by the College to a future term, this is considered a scheduled break. During regularly scheduled breaks, you may work up to full-time hours. (You must have been a full-time student in the previous term, and be registered as a full-time student in the future term).

However, students in Canada should not work more than 150 calendar days consecutively for each calendar year.


Q. Can I apply for my Post Graduate Work Permit with an unofficial transcript from WebAdvisor?

A. Yes. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has confirmed that the WebAdvisor transcript will be accepted.


Applying for Employment Insurance or other government programs

Q. Are there any temporary measures in place for applying for Social Insurance Numbers?

A. Yes. Please check this link for updated information from Service Canada.


Q. I have lost my job due to COVID-19. How do I apply for Employment Insurance benefits?

A. You can submit an application for Employment Insurance online.


Q. Can International students receive the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)?

A. To be eligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, you must reside in Canada and have a valid Social Insurance Number. International students may be eligible to receive the Benefit if they meet the eligibility requirements. Please check the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) website for more information.


Medical Information

Q. Where can I seek medical attention?

A. If you believe you have symptoms of COVID-19, please review the Health Unit's recommendations on who should be tested for COVID-19 and then contact the Health Unit at 519-663-5317 for further assessment and guidance. You can also use the Ontario Health Ministry Online Assessment tool.

The Medical Clinic on campus at Fowler Kennedy is open for urgent or acute illnesses or injuries only.


Q. If I need medical treatment, does Morcare cover me?

A. Yes, Morcare can "confirm that the COVID-19 outbreak does not affect student's coverage in Canada. Students are covered for related medical visits, tests and hospitalization in regards to the virus."


Q. How can I contact Morcare if I have questions?

A. As always, the Morcare call centre is available to assist with any inquiry, appointment set up and coverage confirmation. Students can reach Morcare staff by calling 1-888-985-1552. In addition, students can reach out to Morcare directly. The team is equipped to take COVID-19 calls anytime. Students can reach IAassist at 1-866-472-8356.


Other information

Q. I'm planning to attend Fanshawe at a future date and have questions. Who can I contact?

A. Reach our to our International Education representatives around the world.


Q. Are international student applications impacted by COVID-19?

A. No, international application processing time is not being impacted.


Q. Many IELTS test centres are closed around the world. Are there any new options available to meet English requirements?

A. Fanshawe College will accept the Duolingo Language Test and the IELTS Indicator Test for September 2020 and January 2021. More details are available on the English Language Requirements page.


Q. I have questions about work and my PGWP. Who can I contact?

A. You can email or book an appointment with our Student Life Co-ordinators. You can book your appointment online.


Q. How can I find any of the online video sessions done by Fanshawe International?

A. You can connect with our social media accounts to see what we have been doing.

Social media:



Shortcut to this page: