On Monday, April 3, 2017, the Lawrence Kinlin School of Business, in conjunction with Libro Credit Union, hosted the 10th Annual Business Plan Challenge. This competition had student entrepreneurs competing for cash prizes by presenting their business plans to a team of judges consisting of Garrett Graham (Libro), Sarah Carradine (Libro), Jason Dearing (Libro), Frank Snyders (Financial Consultant) and Kim Atkinson (Ontario SEO). With 17 students presenting, these judges were able to witness many amazing business plans created entirely by students.
Congratulations to all winners and all the student entrepreneurs who participated. A huge thank you to our key event sponsor, Libro Credit Union. We would also like to extend a special thanks to faculty coaches Josie Stomp, John Trembley and Kevin Knell as well as Leap Junction for all of their support. The event was a great success and we can't wait to do it again next year!
The challenge lasted all day and was followed by an awards ceremony featuring keynote speaker (and former Kinlin School student) Nickolaas van der Velde. After difficult deliberation, winners were announced:
- First place ($1,500): Anthony McGregor and Brian Henshaw (Rock Solid Carpentry) (in photo at right); Faculty Coach, Josie Stomp;
- Second place ($1,000): Kaylie Philp (Fun Booths); Faculty Coach, Kevin Knell;
- Third place ($750): Ryan Watson (Tip Top Roofing); Faculty Coach, Kevin Knell;
- Runner-up ($250): Tammy McGee (The Stitching Station); Faculty Coach, Josie Stomp;
- People's choice ($200 gift card provided by Leap Junction): Silken Tymczuk (Step by Step Dance Studio); Faculty Coach, John Trembley.