Course selection tips
- Review the course selection information mailed to you or available online.
- View the online tutorials to familiarize yourself with the online tools.
- In WebAdvisor, review My Progress to confirm the courses you need to complete your program.
- One General Education Elective course is equal to 3 credits. Please see My Progress in WebAdvisor to review your General Education Elective requirements.
- Make a list of courses that will meet your requirement(s) and fit in your timetable. You will not be allowed to select courses that have a scheduling conflict. Pick 1st, 2nd and and 3rd choices, just in case the course(s) are no longer available.
- Select your courses early for the best course selection.
- In WebAdvisor, use:
- Express Registration if you know the course, section and term of the course(s) you have selected.
- Search and Register for Sections if you want to search for course sections based on criteria you enter.
- Register and Drop Sections if you want to drop a course you previously registered in using WebAdvisor or to complete a course selection for a course you previously viewed.
- Read the Help at the top of each screen.
- Your course selection is not complete until the course appears (or is removed in the case of a Drop) from your timetable and My Progress on WebAdvisor.
- You can only drop courses that were selected using WebAdvisor. For assistance with other courses, please refer to your program office.
- Dropping a course(s) may impact your OSAP entitlement. Please contact the Financial Aid Office, E2020 for further information.
- Dropping courses or taking less than a full load will impact your progression toward graduation. It is your responsibility to ensure you meet your program requirements to graduate. View My Progress on WebAdvisor for information about your program and outstanding requirements. Academic Advising is available in your Program Office. Please make an appointment with your Program Coordinator or Student Success Advisor if you need assistance.
Course selection dates and deadlines
- General Arts and Science (GAP/GAS students) course selection opens Thursday, April 5, 2018.
- General Education Elective course selection opens Monday, April 9, 2018.
- Students have up to the 10th day of classes (based on the course start date) to add or drop courses online. There is no academic penalty for courses dropped within the 10th day and the course will not appear on your transcript.
- After the 10th day of classes, students must see their Program Office (Program Coordinator or Student Success Advisor) for assistance to withdraw from courses. Students have up to 70% of the course duration to withdraw from a course(s) and receive a W grade. The date will vary based on the start and end date of each individual courses. Please refer to your Student Verification form on WebAdvisor for your deadlines to withdraw from courses and receive a W grade.
- After 70% of the course duration, a final grade will be assigned to the course.
Course selection errors
|Error Message||Help/Next Steps|
|You do not have an active program level. Contact the Registrar's Office.||There may be an issue with your registration for this term. Please contact the Registrar's Office, E1012 for assistance.|
|Your registration cannot be processed. Contact Registrar's Office.||You have a restriction on your account that is preventing your course selection. This may be outstanding fees, fines, borrowed equipment, etc. Please contact the Registrar's Office, E1012 for assistance with resolving this matter.|
|You have selected a course you are not eligible for through Online Reg.||You have selected a course you are not eligible for through online course selection (e.g. selecting a Degree level course when you are a Post-Secondary level student). Please select another course or contact your program office for assistance.|
|You have not paid your deposit and/or you have an outstanding balance.||Our records indicate you have not paid sufficient fees to select your courses online OR you made a payment within the last 24 hours. Payments made at the bank may take 3 to 4 business days to arrive at the college. Payments made through WebAdvisor or at our counter take 24 hours to activate permission to register online.|
|You are in Overload go to the Registrar's Office to add additional courses||You are attempting to select additional course(s) beyond your full-time program. Online course selection is not permitted. To select additional courses, you must go to the Registrar's Office to complete the registration. There may be additional fees to be paid at the time of registration.|
|To Drop or Add Courses contact your School, web deadline past||The current date is not within the selection period for this course. Please refer to the Course Selection Dates and Deadlines above. For assistance with dropping a course before the W grade deadline, please refer to your Program Office.|
|Only students from Language and Liberal Studies can register in this course||In order to select this course you must be in a program from the School of Language and Liberal Studies. Please select a different course. Refer to the Comments on the Search and Register screen for assistance with selecting an appropriate course.|
|Only students from GAP/GAS programs can register in this course||In order to select this course you must be registered in the General Arts and Science program. Please select a different course. Refer to the Comments on the Search and Register screen for assistance with selecting an appropriate course.|
|Students enrolled in GAP/GAS cannot register in this course.||General Arts and Science students are not permitted to select this course. Please select a different course. Refer to the Comments on the Search and Register screen for assistance with selecting an appropriate course.|
|CourseA conflicts with CourseB e.g. COMM-1001 conflicts with MKTG-1002||These courses have at least one hour scheduled at the same time. Online course selection is not permitted. Please select a different course section. Refer to the Meeting Information on the Registration screen.|
|CourseA: Failed Section registration restriction rules||You have selected a course you are not eligible for through online course selection. Please select another course. If this problem persists, please contact the Registrar's Office for assistance.|
|CourseA: cannot be added to schedule at this time||The current date is not within the selection period for this course. Please refer to the Course Selection Dates and Deadlines above.|
|You cannot remove section CourseA at this time.||The current date is not within the selection period for this course. Please refer to the course selection Dates and Deadlines above.|
- If a course section is full, some courses allow students to place themselves on a waitlist (Action = WL on the Registration screens).
- IMPORTANT! Students on a waitlist should select an alternate course/choice. There is no guarantee the waitlisted course will become available.
- If a spot opens in the course section, the student on the top of the waitlist will receive an automatic email advising them they have 1 day to register in the course.
- The waitlist priority is on a first come, first served basis. The first student added to the waitlist will be at the top of the list, etc.
- If the course selection is not complete within the timelines, the process moves on to the next student on the list and the course is no longer available to the first student.
- Use Manage my Waitlist on WebAdvisor, to accept an offer for a course.
- If you are offered a spot from the waitlist and already have a full timetable, you will need to drop a course before you can proceed with the course selection in the waitlisted course. Please refer to your Course Catalogue and ensure you do not drop a mandatory course.
- We do not communicate or disclose your waitlist position or guarantee registration in a waitlisted course.
Process confirmation email troubleshooting
There are a number of reasons that you may not receive your confirmation email. Unfortunately due to the nature of email, and the number of email providers, it is impossible to go over every possible scenario. This troubleshooting guide is meant as a starting point and covers some of the most likely causes.
Is your email address recorded correctly in our system?
Are you checking the correct email address?
Take a quick moment to verify that your email address is correct. You can do this in WebAdvisor by going to Demographic Update on the Students menu and looking at the E-Mail Address field. This is the email address that system generated emails will be sent to.
Did your email client or email provider move the email to the Junk Mail folder or delete it?
Many mail providers have their own junk email filtering, as do many email clients. These filters aren't perfect. Check your "Junk Mail" folder to verify it didn't get mishandled.
Also, if you have a spam blocker, make sure it isn't configured to delete messages it thinks are spam, or alternatively set it to always keep emails from @fanshawec.ca.
Lastly, check to see if you have custom rules for dealing with email. Sometimes an email rule will incorrectly direct or delete an email.
Did your anti-spam or anti-virus software delete it?
Client-based email filtering programs usually let users readily review email messages that were blocked. Some actually let users search intercepted email for a given sender or message content.
Some anti-virus programs might also be analyzing and intercepting your email messages. With some programs the only messages blocked are ones that contain actual viruses. However, some programs may stop any message that it interprets as spam or junk.
I've checked all of these settings and still can't find the email. Is this a problem?
No. Verify that the action you were performing has impacted your Class Schedule and My Progress on WebAdvisor. If you were adding courses they should be present. If you were dropping courses they should no longer appear. If the action you were performing did not impact your schedule or My Progress, please contact the Registrar's Office, E1012 (London Campus) for assistance.