Tax Information for International Students

Tax Information for International Students

This page is a hub for all your tax resources

2021 Tuition and Enrolment Certificates (T2202) will be available as of Monday, February 28, 2022 through WebAdvisor.

*Tuition and Enrolment Certificates (T2202) for previous years are available to view and download through WebAdvisor.


As of 2019:

  • T2202A has changed to T2202
  • T2202 will now contain the student's Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • If the College does not have your SIN on file, you need to provide your SIN through WebAdvisor.
  • If you do not have a SIN, you can apply for one at any Service Canada location (information is available here).

Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between a T2202, T4A and T4 form?

A T2202 (or Tuition and Enrolment Certificate) is an income tax form issued to students for eligible fees paid for the calendar year. It shows the amount of tuition that can be deducted for income tax purposes as well as the number of months of full-time and part-time enrolment. Students can access their T2202 by logging onto WebAdvisor. If you are a sponsored student, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency's P105 Students and Income Tax under the section "Eligible Tuition Fees" to determine if you are eligible to claim these amounts.

A T4A is a tax slip issued to students for scholarships, bursaries and other monetary awards from Fanshawe College in the calendar year. Fanshawe College issues T4As for bursaries or scholarships even if the funds came from other agencies or organizations. Amounts on T4As must be reported as other income on the student's tax return. T4As will be mailed to students by the end of February.
Contact: Accounts Payable

A T4 is a tax slip issued by an employer to employees for employment income they earned in the calendar year. Students who were employed on campus (e.g. work study, peer tutor, part-time work) will receive a T4 from Fanshawe. T4s will be mailed by the end of February.

Do I qualify for a T2202 form?

T2202 forms are only issued to students who have paid more than $100 in eligible fees for post-secondary level courses beginning and ending in a particular calendar year (e.g. during the 2021 tax year from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021.) The ESL program is not eligible for a T2202 as per the CRA.

How do I get my T2202?

T2202s from 2015 and later are available through WebAdvisor for students to view and print. Students will require their username and password to access the information. If you don't remember your password, select Option 2 on the WebAdvisor page. You will need your student number.

I can't remember how to access WebAdvisor. How do I do it?

Visit the WebAdvisor page on Fanshawe's website. You will need your username and password. If you don't remember your password, select Option 2 on the WebAdvisor page. If you still have problems, contact the IT Service Desk here or by emailing Please have your student number ready.

I paid more than the amount showing on my T2202. Why doesn't my form show the full amount I paid?

Program and course costs are made up of various fees; some are tax deductible and others are not, in accordance to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) policies. The T2202 form will only reflect the eligible fees. For example, the student activity fee and bus pass fee are not eligible fees. Therefore the tax form will be less than the amount you paid. As well, if your courses ran over two calendar years, only the amount relating to 2021 can be reported this year.

Please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency's P105 Students and Income Tax under the section "Eligible Tuition Fees".

I paid for my Winter 2022 term during the 2021 year. Will that amount show on my 2021 T2202?

No. The T2202 form only reflects the actual learning period that you attended during the taxation year.

I don't have a computer at home. How can I get my information?

Please contact to discuss options.

I printed my T2202 form, but my address has changed. Do I need a new one?

No, you are not required to mail the T2202 with your tax forms. The address on the form does not have to match your current address; however, please ensure you have notified Fanshawe College of your change of address. This can be done online through WebAdvisor.

I need a duplicate T2202 form for a previous year. How do I get this?

T2202s from 2015 and later are available through WebAdvisor for students to view and print. For 2015 onward there will be no duplicate T2202 forms as they are still available on WebAdvisor. You will require your username and password to access the information.

What program name will be shown on my T2202?

The T2202 will indicate the name of your most recent program even if it is not the one you took in 2021. For example, if you were in two different programs, or applied, paid and withdrew from a program, the last program in which you were active will be the one reported. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is only looking to make sure that you were registered in a post-secondary program. The program name listed does not affect your tax return.

Do you still have questions?

If you have reviewed all of this information and still have unanswered questions concerning:

Access to WebAdvisor: Contact the IT Service Desk here or by emailing
Your T4A: Contact Accounts Payable at

For all other questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar. Please provide your full name and student number. It is important to indicate if an amendment is required. If your issue needs to be transferred to Fees Services, it may take up to five business days (excluding weekends) to return your call due to the large volume of calls in February, March and April.

T1261 Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents

For students who do not currently have a SIN number.

You can view this form as:

PDF t1261-19e.pdf
PDF fillable version

This document is only available in electronic format.

Need help with your taxes? There are some great volunteers who are prepared to help!

You can find a list of these volunteers by clicking on the link below. They offer services in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, German and French!

List of Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics



Common sources of income include money you receive from employment, bursaries and scholarships, and interest on money deposited in banks. These sources determine your total income.

Deductions and credits

Your total income can be reduced by deducting the amount you paid into pension plans, registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs), union and professional dues and child care expenses. Moving expenses can be claimed against certain income if you moved for work purposes only. Remember to keep your receipts for airline tickets and other expenses. Your deductions can help reduce your taxable income. Your federal and provincial taxes are calculated on your total income.

Non-refundable tax credits

Residents of Canada receive a basic personal amount of non-refundable tax credits. For a complete list, consult the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) non-refundable tax credits site.

Refundable tax credits

Refundable tax credits include the tax that has already been deducted from your earnings. Credits can help reduce your tax payable and you may receive a refund from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or may be required to pay additional taxes. Many students are entitled to a refund.

There may be other tax credits you are eligible for based on your situation.

Filing your taxes

Everything you need to know about your income tax return can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. The CRA also has online videos and webinars about the Canadian tax system and filing taxes.  If you receive an income in Canada or if you would like to apply for tax benefits or credits you will need to file a tax return. Once you have completed your tax return and collected the supporting documents you can submit your tax package to the CRA. The deadline to file taxes in Canada is April 30 each year.

Preparing to file

Once you are ready to file your tax return prepare the following documents (if applicable):

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) or, if you are not eligible for a SIN, your Individual Tax Number (ITN) form.
  • Your banking information or a void cheque
  • Information slips
  • Any rent receipts (available from your landlord)
  • Any charitable receipts if you made a donation to a charity
  • Any medical receipts
  • Proof of monthly public transportation costs
  • Any correspondence from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you have filed taxes in Canada before

You may have other information slips or amounts you can indicate on your income tax return.

How to file your tax return

Before you submit your tax package to the CRA, you must complete tax forms. When it comes to filing your taxes there are a number of options available:

Using tax preparation software

You can use tax preparation software to complete your tax return. The CRA website has a list of tax preparation software that you can use to prepare your return.

By hand on paper

You can collect a tax package from a Canada Post outlet or from the CRA website and complete the tax return on your own. It is recommended that you only do this if you have filed a tax return before and have extensive tax return experience. Visit the Canada Post website for information about post office locations near you.

Professional tax preparation and accounting firm

If you would like a professional tax preparer to prepare your tax return, you can search online for a reputable firm in the city. Make sure that you verify that the accountant you have chosen has experience filing tax returns for international students. This service will cost you between $50 and $100.

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your tax return you should receive a response from the CRA in the form of a Notice of Assessment by mail. Keep any correspondence you receive from the CRA in a safe place for your records. Refer to it when you file your taxes again next year.