It is important to stay safe while travelling abroad! Travelling safely will help you stay focused on your studies and cultural experiences without letting things like illness, crime, traffic accidents, etc. spoil your international learning experience.

Some resources to help keep you safe:

  • International Health Insurance – every student travelling outside of Canada for exchange, short-term study programs, field placements, co-ops, or any other purpose must purchase comprehensive international health insurance for the duration of their trip.
  • Register as a Canadian Abroad with Global Affairs Canada before you leave to ensure that the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission in your host country knows you are there and can endeavor to assist you in a crisis.
  • Keep a copy of your ‘Ready, Set, Go!’ travel pre-departure handbook for tips on safe and healthy travel.

Emergency contacts for Fanshawe students abroad

Medical, fire or police emergency

In the event of an emergency which requires immediate medical or fire or police assistance, please call the local emergency number in your host country.

Fanshawe College emergency contacts

Students abroad can contact the International Projects & Exchange Coordinator for assistance while abroad by emailing or calling:

International Office (weekdays, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.)

519-452-4430 ext. 2994


Students abroad can also call the campus security office where a 24-hour available dispatcher will be able to assist and contact the appropriate Fanshawe staff.

Campus Security


Canadian Government emergency assistance abroad

It is recommended that all Fanshawe students travelling abroad register with the Global Affairs Canada office as a Canadian Abroad. Students can complete the Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA) form.

To request emergency services from Global Affairs Canada contact:
Phone: + 1 613 996 8885 (call collect)

Or check the Global Affairs Canada website for the local toll-free number for your host country before you leave.

For more information on emergency assistance for Canadians abroad please visit the Government of Canada's Request emergency assistance page.

Canadian embassies and consulates abroad

It is recommended that you research where the nearest Canadian embassy, high commission, or consulate is located, before you leave. View a directory of embassies and consulates which provide services to Canadians around the world.