Dates: May 10 to June 8, 2019.
Location: Hitachi, Japan.
Immerse yourself in Japanese culture at Fanshawe's partner institution, Ibaraki Christian University! Located in beautiful Hitachi city, approximately 2 hours by express train Northwest of Tokyo, Ibaraki Christian University is a small, friendly campus ready to welcome you!
This cultural exchange program is an exploration of Japanese culture and history. Students will participate in a wide range of cultural activities including a traditional tea ceremony, Japanese calligraphy lesson, local cuisine cooking class, temple visit, origami, and more! Students also have the opportunity to volunteer with a local kindergarten class and participate in seminars focused on cross-cultural communication and Japanese language. You will spend your time with local students and other international students from across Europe and North America.
This is a cultural exchange program and is not credit based.
Program cost: 10,000 yen.
- Cultural activities and site visits;
- Administration and in-country support;
- Pick up from Narita Airport and transportation to Ibaraki.
- Round trip airfare ;
- Health insurance;
- Return transportation from Ibaraki to Tokyo;
- Personal spending;
- Visa (if necessary).
Participating students can take advantage of accommodation associated with Ibaraki Christian University or can make their own arrangements if they choose. The following accommodation is recommended:
|Apartment rent||36,000 yen|
|Deposit (10,000) will be returned if no damage. Other half is for apartment cleaning.||20,000 yen|
|Total (Approximately $750 CAD before deposit return.)||66,000 yen|
|Co-op fire insurance (12 month coverage, value for 11 months will be refunded at the end)||2,000 yen|
|Co-op liability insurance (12 month coverage, value for 11 months will be refunded at the end)||2,000 yen|
|Co-op membership fee (necessary to buy insurance above and will be returned when leaving)||5,000 yen|
|Total (Approximately $100 CAD, before returns.)||9,000 yen|
- Furnished apartment with wi-fi, air conditioning, rice cooker, toaster, bathroom, pots/pans/dishes, bedding;
- 10-minute walk from school.
Applications for this the Japanese Summer Program are due March 5, 2019. Four students will be selected to participate.
- Pick up an application form from the International Office (E2025) or request one via email from email@example.com.
- Submit the completed application form and application essay to Caitlin Smith, International Projects & Exchange Coordinator, Fanshawe International (E2025) no later than February 18, 2019.
- Selected students will be contacted for an interview the following week.
- Final selections will be confirmed by February 28, 2019.
For more information go to the International Office (E2025, London Campus) or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.