Updated January 12, 2021.
All air passengers five years of age or older will be required to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada. Documentation of a negative laboratory test result must be presented to the airline prior to boarding a flight to Canada. Anyone who receives a negative test result and is authorized to enter Canada must still complete the full, mandatory 14-day quarantine.
1. COVID-19 Readiness Plan
COVID-19 Readiness Plan
Fanshawe College has received approval for its COVID-19 Readiness Plan and has been added to the official list by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
All designated learning institutions in Canada, including the 24 publicly funded colleges in Ontario, were required to submit their COVID-19 Readiness Plans for approval from the provincial and federal governments, including their respective health agencies.
International students with approved Study Permits or letters of introduction showing approval for a Study Permit are allowed to travel to Canada, whether their program is being delivered fully online or in a blended format.
Before making travel arrangements, students must complete the COVID-19 Readiness Form, which includes helpful information about quarantine, as well as travel and arrival information.
All students entering Canada are required to quarantine for 14 days and must have their quarantine plan approved by Fanshawe College in advance.
Stay safe everyone.
Executive Director, Fanshawe International
2. Getting ready to travel to Canada
Download these free apps
Review the Government of Canada website for updates
Plan your arrival in Canada
- You will need a quarantine plan – Check the government website for more information;
- If you need help creating your plan – See Fanshawe's self-isolation checklist;
- Resources for Fanshawe students (where to stay, food/medicine deliveries, etc.) – email firstname.lastname@example.org for updated information;
- Request Arrival Services:
To request private transportation from the airport to your quarantine destination, please be sure to choose this option when you are filling out Arrival Services information within the COVID-19 Readiness Plan;
- Masks will be required in airports and on flights.
Please note: Your Quarantine Plan must be submitted using this link to the COVID-19 Readiness Plan at least five days prior to travelling to Canada.
3. Arriving in Canada
What to expect upon entry to Canada
- Toronto's Pearson International Airport;
- Be sure to carry all required travel documents. Please note: a CBSA agent will have the authority to determine if travel is essential and approve or deny entry to Canada;
- Here's what you can expect when you arrive:
- Transportation will be provided from the airport to your quarantine destination. Please be sure to choose this option when you are filling out Arrival Services information within the COVID-19 Readiness Plan.
- The transportation services provided by Fanshawe College strictly adhere to all COVID-19 protocols. Masks are required at all times during travel. Transportation will be direct to the quarantine destinations, with no stops being made along the way.
- Morcare health insurance details and contact information.
- Please note: Students planning to arrive in Canada during the Winter 2021 semester will need to purchase private health care. Students starting the Summer 2021 semester will be invoiced (pro-rated) for coverage for the remaining months of the academic year (May 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021).
4. 14-day quarantine period
- Students quarantining in London:
All international students and their co-arriving family members must complete a COVID-19 test on day 14 of their quarantine. A member of Fanshawe Cares Arrival and Engagement Team will contact you by email with detailed testing instructions on and around day 7 and 12 of your quarantine. All students and accompanying family members will be given an appointment at one of the testing locations, and provided transportation support to access the testing site which includes provision of non-medical masks, any other personal protective equipment, social distancing, and protocols for limiting any unnecessary contact with any other person while outside of quarantine for testing purposes.
- Students quarantining outside of Fanshawe College’s London area:
All international students and their co-arriving family members must complete a COVID-19 test on day 14 of their quarantine. A member of Fanshawe Cares Arrival and Engagement Team will contact you by email with detailed testing instructions. Please follow these steps below for your mandatory COVID-19 testing:
Step 1: Schedule your COVID-19 test:
You will need an appointment to get a test. Tests are done at all assessment centres and select pharmacies. On day 7 of your mandatory 14-day quarantine period, contact your nearest COVID-19 Assessment Centre or Shoppers Drug Mart and ask to schedule your COVID19 test on day 14 of your quarantine. If you feel sick or have questions, call Ontario Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000.
Step 2: Email us once you've scheduled your appointment:
For tracking purposes, and in order for you to be compliant and able to attend Fanshawe College, you must email email@example.com and indicate your, and each of your co-arriving family members’:
- Full name
- Date of scheduled COVID-19 test
- Testing centre location
- Student ID # (applicable to Fanshawe College student only)
It is your responsibility to ensure we receive a copy of your, and your co-arriving family members’, COVID-19 test results. Please email the results to firstname.lastname@example.org
Negative: If you receive a negative result, and your quarantine period is over, you are not required to do anything further. If your 14-day quarantine period has not ended yet, please remain in quarantine until complete.
Positive: If you receive a positive result, your 14-day quarantine period will restart and specific instruction will be provided by Public Health. A member from the Fanshawe College International Department and/or the Student Health and Wellness team will also reach out to see how you are doing and what you might need.
- You will receive several "quarantine check-in" phone calls from Fanshawe Cares staff, including a call on the final day to provide you with information about services, supports and resources available to you. Your Canadian phone number is required. You must complete a daily online check-in form, which will be sent to your primary email address. You will also receive a call from a Canadian Government telephone number: 1-888-336-7735, to verify your compliance during your 14-day quarantine. It is important to answer this call.
According to the Government of Canada website, violating instructions provided to you upon entry in Canada and during your 14-day quarantine is an offence under the Quarantine Act, which will be taken very seriously and could lead up to:
- 6 months in prison, and/or
- $750,000 in fines.
If you choose to break your mandatory quarantine or isolation, resulting in the death or serious bodily harm of another person, you could face:
- A fine of up to $1,000,000, or
- Imprisonment of up to 3 years, or
Fanshawe College is required to, and will, report all non-compliances related to the Quarantine Act.
If you feel sick during the quarantine period
- Ontario self-assessment tool
- If you have severe symptoms and need medical attention, call 9-1-1 immediately.
After the 14-day quarantine period
14 days of online sessions
Join Fanshawe Cares staff, along with other areas of the college, for 14 days of live Zoom sessions to prepare you for Fanshawe and keep you company during your quarantine period. Sessions include: Library, Housing, Fanshawe Student Union, Morcare Health Insurance and more!
View the online sessions on YouTube.
5. Welcome to Fanshawe
Please keep checking the Orientation page for updated information.
Please keep checking here for key dates/events prior to the beginning of each semester.
Before you come into the college
- Download the Fanshawe Stay Safe app;
- Before you come to campus, you must complete the online training module via FanshaweOnline (students). Students: We recommend you complete the training on a PC device as mobile phones and tablets will sometimes cause errors and the course will not load;
- Complete the Daily COVID-19 Screening (on the Fanshawe Stay Safe app) and submit it to Fanshawe before entering any campus;
- All employees, students contractors and visitors who are coming to campus are required to complete Fanshawe’s COVID screening form each day they plan to be on campus;
- Please do not enter campus unless you have completed and passed the assessment, as you may be asked by College staff to provide verification;
- If you do not pass the assessment or have concerns, please contact your School or Administrator for next steps. Do not come to campus until a plan has been established to protect your health and safety and that of others;
- The online screening form can be accessed on any device at https://forms.fanshawec.ca/xfp/form/54 or through Fanshawe’s Stay Safe app.
Virtual student services
- Student Support Services have moved to virtual delivery. Online appointments with International Student Life Co-ordinators continue to be available. Connect with a Student Life Co-ordinator Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST (Eastern Standard Time) for an online appointment. Please use this link to book your appointment.
- The International Centre can be reached Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at 519-452-4150 or email@example.com.
For additional information, visit: