Tax Information for International Students

Tax Information for International Students

This page is a hub for all your tax resources

*2020 Tuition and Enrolment Certificates (T2202) are now available through WebAdvisor.

*2019 and prior year Tuition and Enrolment Certificates (T2202) are available through WebAdvisor.


New as of 2019 tax year

What is the difference between a T2202, T4A and T4 form?

A T2202 (or Tuition and Enrolment Certificate) is an income tax form issued to students for activity for the calendar year. It shows the amount of tuition that can be deducted for income tax purposes as well as the number of months for the education deduction. Students can access their T2202 by logging onto WebAdvisor. If you are a sponsored student, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency's "Students and Income Tax" (P105 available on the web at under the section "Eligible Tuition Fees" to determine if you are eligible to claim these amounts.

T1261 Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents

For students who do not currently have a SIN number.

You can view this form as:

PDF t1261-19e.pdf
PDF fillable version

This document is only available in electronic format.

Need help with your taxes? There are some great volunteers who are prepared to help!

You can find a list of these volunteers by clicking on the link below. They offer services in English, Cantonese, Mandarin, German, and French!

List of Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics


If you should have any questions about Canadian taxes, please consult the International Tax Services Office website, or contact them directly.


Common sources of income include money you receive from employment, bursaries and scholarships, and interest on money deposited in banks. These sources determine your total income.

Deductions and credits

Your total income can be reduced by deducting the amount you paid into pension plans, registered retirement savings plans (RRSP), union and professional dues and child care expenses. Moving expenses can be claimed against certain income if you moved for work purposes only. Remember to keep your receipts for airline tickets and other expenses. Your deductions can help reduce your taxable income. Your federal and provincial taxes are calculated on your total income.

Non-refundable tax credits

Residents of Canada receive a basic personal amount of non-refundable tax credits. For a complete list, consult the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Total federal non-refundable tax credits list.

Refundable tax credits

Refundable tax credits include the tax that has already been deducted from your earnings. Credits can help reduce your tax payable and you may receive a refund from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or may be required to pay additional taxes. Many students are entitled to a refund.

There may be other tax credits you are eligible for based on your situation.

Filing your taxes

Everything you need to know about your income tax return can be found on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website. The CRA also has online videos and webinars about the Canadian tax system and filing taxes.  If you receive an income in Canada or if you would like to apply for tax benefits or credits you will need to file a tax return. Once you have completed your tax return and collected the supporting documents you can submit your tax package to the CRA. The deadline to file taxes in Canada is April 30 each year.

Preparing to file

Once you are ready to file your tax return prepare the following documents (if applicable):

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) or, if you are not eligible for a SIN, your Individual Tax Number (ITN) form.
  • Your banking information or a void cheque
  • Information slips
  • Any rent receipts (available from your landlord)
  • Any charitable receipts if you made a donation to a charity
  • Any medical receipts
  • Proof of monthly public transportation costs
  • Any correspondence from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you have filed taxes in Canada before

You may have other information slips or amounts you can indicate on your income tax return.

How to file your tax return

Before you submit your tax package to the CRA, you must complete tax forms. When it comes to filing your taxes there are a number of options available:

Using tax preparation software

You can use tax preparation software to complete your tax return. The CRA website has a list of tax preparation software that you can use to prepare your return.

By hand on paper

You can collect a tax package from a Canada Post outlet or from the CRA website and complete the tax return on your own. It is recommended that you only do this if you have filed a tax return before and have extensive tax return experience. Visit the Canada Post website for information about post office locations near you.

Professional tax preparation and accounting firm

If you would like a professional tax preparer to prepare your tax return, you can search online for a reputable firm in the city. Make sure that you verify that the accountant you have chosen has experience filing tax returns for international students. This service will cost you between $50 and $100.

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your tax return you should receive a response from the CRA in the form of a Notice of Assessment by mail. Keep any correspondence you receive from the CRA in a safe place for your records. Refer to it when you file your taxes again next year.