What else should I know after I apply for OSAP?

After you apply for OSAP, there are still things you may be wondering. We hope these answers help.

What if I don't feel my OSAP assessment is accurate? (I need more assistance!)


OSAP starts by using standard assessment criteria to determine your financial need and the amount of Canada and Ontario Student loan assistance available to you. If you feel the standard criteria do not adequately reflect your financial or family situation, there are options available to you. Get in touch with the Financial Aid Office  to discuss your situation. 

The deadline for submitting a review is 40 days before the end of your current study period.


Do I need to pay my non-refundable deposit if I'm getting OSAP?


OSAP funds are deposited into your bank account after your classes start. Until then, you will need to budget for your immediate expenses, including any deposit payments or program related expenses due before school.

In order for you to be considered a registered full-time student, a non-refundable deposit is required by the Registrar's Office by the due date as noted on your fee invoice. Plan to cover this expense yourself (it's usually due months before your OSAP funding will be available).


Do I need to pay my Residence deposit if I'm getting OSAP?


Since OSAP funds are deposited after your classes start, you will need to budget for your immediate expenses, including any deposit payments or rent due before school.

If you apply to Residence, you will be required to pay a $525 non-refundable residence application fee at the time of your application. Plan to cover this expense yourself (it's usually due months before your OSAP funding will be available).


Do I need to pay for my textbooks if I'm getting OSAP?


OSAP funds are available after your classes start, so you will need to budget for your immediate expenses. You should plan how you're going to purchase any necessary books or supplies before your OSAP is deposited into your bank account.

Check out Fanshawe's Retail Services course material page.


Why do I have to pay my deposits and other costs if I'm supposed to get OSAP?


REMEMBER: OSAP is not a replacement for your financial resources – it's meant to be part of your bigger budget plan. (Don't have a budget Click here

The Government of Ontario considers post-secondary education to be a shared investment and responsibility between students, their families, the government and post-secondary institutions. That’s why students are expected to help contribute to the costs of their own education.

In some cases, this contribution is waived for eligible applicants. Please see Students with special circumstances for more information. A review is available for students who demonstrate they have made reasonable efforts to make this contribution, but are not able to. Check out https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/PostsecondaryEducation/OSAP/Forms/index.htm.


How do I change my information or withdraw from my studies?


Keep your OSAP profile current and up-to-date (it's your responsibility). Please contact the Finanical Aid Office to let us know about any changes to your situation (e.g. changing program or courses, course load, income, marital status, etc.). Reassessment calculations can take time, so inform us of any changes as early as possible.

If you stop attending all classes, you are considered to have withdrawn under current OSAP regulations. If you stop attending classes, handing in assignments, writing tests, etc., your OSAP course load will be recalculated and it may change how much assistance you're eligible to receive.

What you need to know about OSAP and withdrawing from studies  

Are you withdrawing from studies, dropping courses, or not attending school?

For both the Canada and Ontario Student Loans Programs, students must be enrolled in courses that constitute not less than 60% of a full course load for each period of study. Averaging of course loads is not permitted. Permanently disabled students require 40% of a full course load.

For OSAP purposes, a course load at Fanshawe College is calculated in terms of the number of course hours per week (i.e. if a full course load is 25 hours per week, a 60% course load is 15 hours per week). Note for permanently disabled students the standard is successful completion of at least 40% course load (i.e. if a full course load is 25 hours per week, a 40% course load is 10 hours per week).

If you have completed an official withdrawal form or if you stop attending classes, you will be considered to have withdrawn for OSAP purposes. Your course load will be recalculated based on this information and your eligibility for assistance may be affected.

  • The ministry will be advised and your OSAP entitlement will be recalculated on the basis of the number of weeks you attended school. It is possible you may incur a loan overpayment.
  • The ministry will advise the National Student Loan Service Centre NSLSC that you have withdrawn. This information is used to determine when you must start to repay your loans.

What is a loan overpayment?

An OSAP loan overpayment is the amount of assistance issued to a student in excess of what the student was actually entitled to receive. Overpayments may occur as a result of an increase in a student's resources, early withdrawal from full-time enrollment, a course load dropping to less than 60% of a full course load, or through the Ministry's income verification process. Unless repaid, you may not be eligible to receive further assistance.

  • overpayments equal to or greater than $2000 are counted as an” instance”
  • an overpayment amount greater than or equal to $10,000 causes a restriction. This restriction will be lifted after the overpayment amount in excess of $8000 has been re-paid OR
  • The student has a total overpayment amount less than $10,000 and has 3 or more overpayment instances where each instance is greater than or equal to $2,000. The restriction will be lifted after a repayment of $2,000 has been made for each overpayment instance over 2.

I Withdrew In the Fall And I Want To Return To Studies in the Winter/Summer same academic year?

If you are incurring an overpayment and you intend on returning to studies in the same academic year, this overpayment will reduce the amount of OSAP assistance you will get for your next semester of study. In other words, it is deducted from the amount of OSAP for the Winter or Summer terms.
This typically results because:

  • you will have another expected contribution from pre-study period income (from the day after you withdrew until the day before your classes start (up to maximum of 16 week contribution) &
  • The overpayment that results because of the reduction in the number of weeks you attend school.

You may not be entitled to any or very little OSAP assistance for your next semester of study given your funding overpayment and your expected pre-study period contribution.

You may want to consider a delay in your studies until the next academic year.

In considering your financial situation, below are some possible avenues for you to consider if you want to return to studies in the same academic year:

  • Meet with a Financial Aid Officer to update your OSAP application when you withdraw from studies early. Provide updated information regarding your study period income, child care costs etc. Very few students take this step. Inaccurate information on your OSAP file may actually contribute to your reduce entitlement.
  • Approach one of the major lenders for a student line of credit.
  • Consider part-time employment during your semester.
  • Consider applying for a Fanshawe College Student Assistance Bursary.

How do I reapply for OSAP assistance for the same academic year after I withdrew?

You do not need to reapply for OSAP during the same academic year after withdrawing. Complete an OSAP reinstatement request form. This form is available to you in the Financial Aid Office.

How do I maintain interest free status for Canada and Ontario Student Loans?

You are responsible for maintaining your loans in good standing with your lender(s). Each semester that you do not negotiate additional student loans while a full-time student or on an authorized co-op term, you must submit a Continuation of Interest Free Status by logging into your OSAP and submitting the information. This must be confirmed by the Financial Aid Office. This information tells the lender, tthe National Student Loan Service Centre NSLSC) of your student status.

Click for information about withdrawing from Fanshawe.


What is Net Tuition?


The government on Ontario implemented a Net Tuition Billing system starting in the 2018-2019 school year. Net Tuition Billing involves applying students’ non-repayable OSAP aid (grants) and institutional aid (bursaries, scholarships, awards) if applicable, against their tuition fees upfront and billing them only for the remaining amount.

With Net Tuition Billing, Ontario families will know the total amount of support they are eligible for when they apply for post-secondary education and will be aware of the actual cost of their education well before the start of the school year.


When can I get my OSAP?


If you submitted your application and all your supporting documents at least 60 days before the start of classes, in most cases you should receive your OSAP funding during the first week of school.

Note: OSAP funding is paid directly to Fanshawe to cover your education expense. Any leftover amount will be deposited directly into your bank account.


How long can I get OSAP?


Fanshawe tells OSAP how many terms each program takes to complete, and OSAP allows you that plus one additional study period. If you did not apply or receive OSAP during a period of study, it will not be included in the calculation.

Note: If you have a permanent disability, you are exempt from this rule and your eligibility is calculated differently.

There are also maximum lifetime limits for receiving Canada Student Loan and Ontario Student Loan funding.



More Questions?

Contact the Finanical Aid Office with any question about OSAP.


* Download the Acrobat PDF reader free from Adobe.