What we do
Fanshawe's Research Ethics Board (REB) is accountable to ensure any and all research involving human subjects conforms to the ethical standards outlined in College Policy A201 - Research and Innovation. The REB helps ensure ethical principles are used in research projects involving human subjects. When research involves humans or human biological material, there are several guiding ethical principles:
- Respect for human dignity;
- Respect for free and informed consent;
- Respect for vulnerable persons;
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality;
- Respect for justice and inclusiveness;
- Balancing harms and benefits - minimizing harm, maximizing benefit.
The REB serves the Fanshawe College research community as a consultative body, and thus contributes to education in research ethics. It also has responsibility for independent, multidisciplinary review of the ethics of research to determine if research projects should start or continue.