What is the HOAE?
The Health Occupations Aptitude Exam is a five-part test that evaluates an applicant's knowledge and understanding in areas that are applicable to health services programs at Fanshawe College.
What happens if I do not write the HOAE?
You must submit the HOAE to be considered for admission to the Respiratory Therapy program.
How do I write the HOAE at Fanshawe?
- Select the time you are going to write your test and book it. (Please see How can I book my test)
- Arrive early enough to pay your fees at the Registrar's Office, Room E1012, London Campus.
- Bring your valid government photo identification.
- Come to the Test Centre F2006 (January 02,03) or D2016 (January 27, February 3, 24, March 3, 2018), London Campus with your receipt and write your test.
- Write the test, results will be forwarded to OCAS on your behalf.
How long is the HOAE?
The HOAE consists of five sections and takes approximately 3 hours to complete.
What topics does the test cover?
The HOAE consists of five sections:
- Academic Aptitude
- Reading Comprehension
- Information in the Natural Sciences
- Vocational Adjustment Index
How can I book my test?
To schedule a test please call 519-452-4430 ext. 4947 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
519-452-4430 ext. 4947
What if I require accommodations to write the test?
If you have an identified disability, accommodations can be arranged. To schedule a test please call 519-452-4430 ext. 4947 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
What should I bring with me to write the test?
Valid, government issued photo identification.
Your ontariocolleges.ca application number.
When should I write the HOAE?
You should plan on writing the HOAE as early as possible for the September 2018 intake.
Sessional testing: You must reserve a seat at the sessional testing sessions - see dates, times and locations.
I already wrote the HOAE, do you have the results?
If you applied to Respiratory Therapy at Fanshawe College in 2017, we have your results, but you are responsible for notifying the Admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org that you wish to use the 2017 test results. If you wrote the test in 2017, but did not apply to Fanshawe College, we do not have your results. Please phone the Ontario College Application Service at 1-888-892-2228 and arrange to have your old results sent to us. We recommend that all applicants for September 2018 write the HOAE test in 2018.
Do I have to write the test at Fanshawe College?
We prefer that you write at Fanshawe College. If you are far away from Fanshawe, you can request to write the test at another location. Colleges and universities are the only acceptable alternate location. Students are responsible for any fees that may apply to write the test at another location.
To write at another approved testing facility:
(You will be responsible for both the cost of the HOAE test as well as any host invigilation fees.)
- Select the date and time you want to write the HOAE. You may start the HOAE Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Complete and submit the Off Site Testing Request form in full and return to email@example.com.
- Candidates will need to have paid their $60.00 HOAE Test fee prior to writing externally.
- Show up at the appropriate time and location and write the test with your picture identification.
- Results will be sent to OCAS on your behalf.
To arrange an HOAE test at an alternate location, you must complete the Off-Site Testing Request Form. Testing must be scheduled Monday to Thursday between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
Do I have to write the test at each College I applied to?
No. The test scores will be sent to the colleges that you applied to by ontariocolleges.ca. Please note it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the test scores have been received.
Test deadline - September 2018 intake:
Applications for the September 2018 intake of the Respiratory Therapy Program must be completed on or before February 1, 2018 through ontariocolleges.ca. The Admissions team will begin to send offers of admission in late February 2018 and continue until the program is full.
Many assessment options are available. Do not delay getting this required testing done, please register today to complete this important part of the application process.