Overview - 2019/2020
This program is available to international students only for Fall 2019.
This graduate certificate program is designed to prepare students to teach English as a Second (or Foreign) Language in Canada and/or overseas.
The program covers topics integrating theoretical, pedagogical and practical applications for teaching English as a second or foreign language, meeting educational standards set by TESL Ontario.
Additionally, this program includes courses to enhance professional and intercultural communication skills, knowledge and experience.
Admission Requirements - 2019/2020A Two- or Three-Year College Diploma, or a Degree
Acceptable combination of related work experience and post-secondary education as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above*
*Applicants may be required to submit a resume and cover letter that includes details of work experience.
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 580 for the paper-based test (PBT), or 92 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 7.0 with no score less than 6.5 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 65, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 185 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Recommended Personal Preparation
Traveling, working, or studying abroad provides opportunities to understand the challenges of functioning in other cultures. This experience helps those wanting to become teachers of English to speakers of other languages to relate to their students empathetically. Additionally, previous experience in teaching or training environments will be useful in the development of one's own teaching philosophy and practice.
Applicant Selection CriteriaWhere the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
Careers - 2019/2020
There are a variety of programs that teach English to adult speakers of other languages in Ontario, in both the private and public sectors. Successful graduates of this program, if they meet all other criteria, will be eligible to apply for certification by TESL Ontario, a necessary credential for teaching in government-funded programs. There are also many opportunities abroad for employment, especially when a teacher has completed a college graduate certificate training program in Canada.
In addition, the intercultural competence component of this program will equip graduates for employment possibilities in organizations that work with newcomers to Canada, such as settlement agencies, or to work abroad helping prepare people for intercultural experiences.
More Information - 2019/2020A One-Year Ontario College Graduate Certificate ProgramThis program is available for International students only.Program Code: TES1
Campus Code: LC (LC - London)
15 week terms
Academic Calendars available at www.fanshawec.ca/academicdates
ContactEnglish Language Institute: 519-452-4430 ext. 4358
Program DescriptionThis graduate certificate program is designed to prepare students to teach English as a Second (or Foreign) Language in Canada and/or overseas. The program covers topics integrating theoretical, pedagogical, and practical applications for teaching English as a second or foreign language, meeting educational standards set by TESL Ontario. Additionally, this program includes courses to enhance professional and intercultural communication skills, knowledge, and experience.
Open House: Saturday, March 23, 2019, in London, Simcoe, St. Thomas, Woodstock, Clinton and Tiverton.Read More