Co-operative Education is a process which formally integrates academic study with paid, related work experience.
Fanshawe has more Co-op programs than any college in Canada with 38 Co-op programs in everything from Fashion Design to Civil Engineering Technology. More than just a job, Co-op positions provide students with opportunities to:
- Apply the theory learned in college to work situations
- Gain valuable work experience before they graduate
- Develop and refine career plans
- Earn while they learn
- Develop job search, interview and communications skills
- Learn valuable life skills through real work experience.
The Co-operative Education Department has consultants who deliver classes, counsel and advise students, maintain records, market and promote programs, co-ordinate and identify a variety of employment opportunities, and monitor work performance. Before the first work term, they will explain in detail how the co-op program works and prepare students for employment. Consultant have hundreds of employer contacts and they can steer you in the right direction to find a job in which you can apply your knowledge and hone your skills.
Students are expected to:
- maintain satisfactory academic achievement
- actively search for co-op positions
- compete for employment opportunities
- participate in and attend scheduled co-op classes and appointments and maintain communication with co-op educator
- be mobile; students have worked in jobs all across Ontario, in other provinces, and even in other countries
- perform as a regular, useful and motivated employee once hired
- students are monitored by the co-op educator and evaluated by the employer.
- Co-op FAQs for domestic students (PDF)
- Co-op FAQs for international students (PDF)
- Co-op work permits (PDF)
- Healthcare Insurance for International Co-operative Education Students (PDF)
- Fanshawe College will defer all in-person classes scheduled for the summer semester and intends to offer a blended delivery of programs in the fall.
- In 2018, Ayden Miller (keyboard/synthesizer), Stefan Boulineau (lead vocals) and Cole Wilson (lead guitar) formed their band New Friends while working together in the studio of Fanshawe Music Industry Arts program.