The Mediation Service is a free confidential resource that seeks to assist in the speedy resolution of problems that may arise between students and landlords, students and London residents and/or students and students in the areas of housing and lifestyles. The service offers the concerned parties a forum to represent and discuss their problems before a neutral third party. It facilitates the resolution process by providing information to the parties and by suggesting approaches to the handling of problems. The use of the service is voluntary and in no way waives the participants' legal rights or remedies.

The service can be used effectively in such areas as:

  • unsatisfactory conditions in apartments or houses
  • property appearance
  • parking complaints
  • noise complaints
  • landlord/tenant issues
  • roommate concerns
  • other lifestyle issues (but need not be limited to the above)

The service cannot be used, however:

  • to obtain legal advice

  • as an advocate for one party against another
  • as an alternative to the police in emergency situations

The resolution of disputes by the Mediation Service may be either informal or formal.

Informal mediation will be most frequently practiced with an emphasis on establishing better communication between the parties involved in order to prevent future problems of the same type. Informal mediation would also involve an investigation of the complaint, discussions with the concerned parties, suggestions for compromise or ways of handling the immediate problem, advice on how to avoid a recurrence of the problem, referrals to other agencies or formal mediation, if appropriate.

Formal mediation would consist of a meeting of all concerned parties at which time views would be presented and with the assistance of the Mediation Officer a written agreement would be reached that both sides would agree to honor. The Mediation Service has office facilities on the campus of Fanshawe College and The University of Western Ontario.

The Mediation Service is funded by Fanshawe College and the Fanshawe College Student Union, Western University, The University Students' Council and the City of London.

If you would like to speak with Glenn Matthews, Housing Mediator, please call 519-452-4282 or drop by Room F2010 (Counselling and Accessibility Services) to make an appointment.