Academic upgrading

  • Many programs have admission requirements that some applicants have not finished. There are a number of pathways for learners to access admission into post-secondary programs. Options include: College & University Prep courses (Math, English & Sciences (Physics, Chemistry & Biology), Challenge Exams, Academic & Career Entrance Certificate Program (Grade 12 Equivalency for purposes of entry into College).


  • Many courses, programs and schools are accepted by many colleges and universities. These have received acceptance and are useful for application purposes. We call these "accredited". The granting of approval to an institution of learning by an official review board after the school has met specific requirements.

Advanced standing

  • Some applicants wish to start a program at a higher level. These applicants have completed a college/university diploma or degree at another school and believe that their academic work (or in some cases even their work experience) could allow entry into the second, third or higher semester of a program. Application for entry into a semester greater than one is known as 'advanced standing'. Credit granted course-by-course based on previous academic courses. This allows the applicant to enter the program at a level beyond level 1.

Articulation/transfer agreements

  • Many programs allow graduates to transfer to another college or university. An agreement between the college and a university for a graduate from a specific program to receive credit towards a university degree is known as an articulation agreement. For example, Fanshawe and Western University.

Awards program:

  • Annual award: an award that is distributed within one year, which may be repeated depending on the generosity of the donor(s).
  • Award: a tool that recognizes student success, or assists in the pursuit of student success.
  • Bursary: an award based on financial need. Bursaries are funds given to students who show they have financial need.
  • Scholarship: an award based on academic, athletic, or other achievement.
  • Term award: an award that is distributed over a number of years.

College credentials:
Credentials are those documents that we issue when a student graduates.

  • Degree: An undergraduate degree normally requiring four years of full-time study. This degree will usually involve practical training and hands-on applications.
  • Ontario college certificate: A program with less than four academic semesters. May be offered at an undergraduate or graduate level.
  • Ontario college diploma: Regular diploma program requiring the completion of at least four semesters of study.
  • Ontario college advanced diploma: An advanced diploma is granted after three years or six semesters of study.
  • Ontario college graduate certificate: Graduate certificates require a university degree or a college certificate or diploma for admission.
  • Fanshawe college certificate: Certificate programs require the completion of two semesters (or one year) of study.

Clinical placement

  • Unpaid placements, which help students develop skills in the workplace relevant to their program of study. The placements can vary from one-day placements to full semester placement. These placements are important for the learning process.

Clinical training

  • On-the-job supervised training relevant to the program of study. This may be a compulsory practice activity for some programs. Most of our health career programs have clinical training in hospital or workplace settings.


  • Ontario has 24 publicly funded colleges that offer one-year certificate programs, two-  and three-year diploma programs and four-year applied degrees.


  • Applicants who are admitted to a post-secondary program receive an offer of admission after applying to a program.
  • Applicants who want to accept an offer of admission must do so by confirming through their online application at There will be a deadline date to confirm as determined by the college.

Co-operative education (Co-op)

  • Students in a co-op program can earn money while working in an approved co-op placement. Co-operative education integrates academic studies with paid work experience. Work terms are usually four months long but can be longer depending on the program.

Credential assessment report

  • Assessment reports done by a credential assessment agency and used by the college in the admission process. For example, a post-secondary detailed report compares your education with the Ontario system. Applicants with only a high school credential must have their international transcripts/mark sheets evaluated by ICAS Canada. College and university transcripts can be assessed by either ICAS Canada or WES.


  • A post-secondary program of at least four academic semesters

External credits

  • Credit granted by the college for a Fanshawe College course based on a course from another institution. Courses must have at least 75% similar content and a minimum of 'C' (exceptions may apply for some courses). If you are looking for a course 'exemption', you can apply for an external credit through the Office of the Registrar.

Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA)

  • The law in Ontario requires that colleges protect the information of all students and applicants.
  • College staff cannot release personal information (such as grades, fees, telephone numbers, addresses, etc.) to anyone, including family members, without written approval from the applicant/student. The release form is available on the college website ( or from the Office of the Registrar. If you are a spouse, parent, sister, brother, son or daughter, of a student, please download this form and have the student fill out the form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

In lieu courses

  • Approved courses used in place of required courses for admission to a program. For example, someone could take math at a school or university outside of Ontario - this math could be used if a program has a math requirement.


  • The start of a program. For example, the Architectural Technology program has an intake in September, however applicants can also start in January.

Internal credits

  • Credit granted by Fanshawe for one Fanshawe course based on credit achieved in a different Fanshawe College course or program.


  • Practical, supervised period of work experience (paid or unpaid) for students to acquire skills in their field of study.


  • A division of an academic year often divided into four month blocks. Also called semester or term.

Mature student

  • A mature student is someone who is 19 years of age on or before the date they start college and has never graduated from a secondary school (high school). This definition will be different for mature students applying to university. Mature applicants and students still must have all admission requirements.


  • An offer is the admission given to the applicant if they are successful in getting admitted into a program.


  • Programs where the number of eligible applicants is greater than the number of spaces in the program. These are also called highly competitive or highly popular programs.


  • Education at a level higher than secondary school, at the university or college level.


  • Unpaid supervised practical experience in the workplace relevant to academic studies.

Preparatory (Prep) programs

  • Programs for students who need admission subject requirements or to help them to improve their chances of getting into a highly competitive program. Examples include: General Arts & Science, Pre-Health, Pre-Technology, Pre-Business.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

  • PLAR is a process of evaluating the knowledge and skills gained through experiential and/or non-formal learning for the purpose of obtaining credit.

Program codes

  • Every program has a code. For example, ECE1 for Early Childhood Education. The program code is on each program page on the college website.


  • Students who have accepted an offer of admission or continuing in their college program are registered when they have made at least the minimum tuition fee payment.

Secondary school high school transcripts

  • An official document that shows the courses taken and marks and credits received (e.g. summary of credits, grade sheet, report card, plus any other required credential such as a graduation certificate or CXC Exam Results)

Wait list

  • Applicants who are not immediately offered admission may be placed on a waiting list. In this case, applicants will receive an "offer to the waitlist" and must confirm through their WebAdvisor account to have their name placed on the waitlist).


  • This is an online tool offered by the college for applicants to view the status of their application, check for any missing requirements or their relative position on a program wait list, update their address information, view their outstanding tuition, and view their timetables.

Work study

  • Paid work study opportunities on campus are available for students to apply to if they have applied for OSAP. More information is available through the Financial Aid Office of the college.