*Due to COVID-19 our Student Auxiliary program has been postponed for Fall 2020 semester and possibly Winter 2021.
The Student Auxiliary Program has been active since 2011 and is the first of its kind in Canada. Campus Security Services generally deploy between six and eight Auxiliary Volunteers throughout the academic year, who conduct general and community patrol in addition to providing valuable community service. What makes this program unique is that Student Auxiliary volunteers are uniformed, trained and given the responsibility of assisting the Special Constables and Security Guards during the course of regular duty.
- Currently registered as a full-time student in a program within the School of Public Safety at Fanshawe College
- At least eighteen (18) years of age
- Minimum Class "G2" Drivers' License in good standing
- Good moral character/habits and able to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, including but not limited to, reference checks, police records checks, driving history checks, and a character investigation.
- Physically and mentally capable of responding to the demands of this position
- Commitment to a minimum of fifteen (15) hours of volunteer service each month through the school year
- Available for mandatory training during the week prior to fall start-up
- Driver's Abstract (within 6 months)
- Vulnerable Sector Check
- Student Auxiliary Application Form
- Current resume
- Cover letter
- Three employment or character references (non-family)
Benefits of volunteering
Becoming a Student Auxiliary volunteer can provide you with an opportunity to:
- Make a meaningful contribution to the safety and security of your community
- Gain a better understanding of the function of community policing
- Work as part of a dedicated team and develop team and leadership skills
- Gain valuable, practical experience in a police related field
- Take advantage of additional training opportunities that complement your program curriculum
- Augment your resume and develop skills that potential employers are looking for
To join our team we expect you to share in our dedication to our community and each other. It’s not easy to balance school, a social life and maintain the necessary commitment to the team, and our expectations are high. The benefits are well worth the sacrifice but it takes a special kind of person to make the necessary commitment. Before considering whether to become involved as a Student Auxiliary volunteer, make sure you are willing to commit to:
- A minimum twenty (20) hours of initial training
- Successfully completing an examination of proficiency covering the initial training material
- Maintaining a standard of behavior and character that is above reproach at all times
- A minimum of fifteen (15) hours service every month for the school year (September to April)
- Being available to assist in an emergency, potentially any time of the day or night
- Dealing with your student peers, potentially under challenging circumstances
- Training during the week prior to fall start-up
If you are that special kind of person, we want you on our team!
How to get involved
- Complete the Student Auxiliary Application
- Submit a hard copy of your application along with a current resume to the Campus Security Administrative Office - Room E1004 or Campus Security Control Centre - Room D1027
- Application Deadline: tbd
- Interviews: tbd
Successful applicants will be contacted for an interview. Successful candidates will then be required to provide a current police background check prior to furthering the process.
If you are determined a suitable candidate, you will be scheduled to attend the mandatory training sessions that will be conducted during the above listed times. Following completion of the initial training, you will be tested on your knowledge of the training material. A minimum mark of 75% will be required to pass the testing.
After successful completion of the training component, you will be required to sign a Volunteer Agreement following which you will become a member of the team, you will be issued your uniform and be eligible to commence your new duties.
Thank you for your interest in this program, however, only those meeting the minimum requirements will be contact for an interview.
- Fanshawe's St. Thomas/Elgin Regional Campus encourages adult learners to consider educational options this fall.
- The Board of Governors of Fanshawe College is seeking applications for membership to fill three vacancies on the Board commencing September 1, 2021.