Frequently asked questions

Why should I hire an international student?

There are so many reasons! Here is a list of attributes that we think make our international students a valuable member to any team:

  • Adaptability, perseverance and determination;
  • Proficient in multiple languages;
  • Courage to tackle the unknown;
  • High quality skills in leadership and independence;
  • Fresh perspective in the workplace;
  • Links to global markets;
  • Easier to attract and retain;
  • Cultural diversity shown to improve overall business performance and team dynamics.
Can international students work in Canada?

Yes! International students who are registered for a co-op program must obtain a co-op work permit to allow them to legally work in Canada. And just like any other student in a College program, international students must meet the co-op guidelines of working at least 300 hours and at least 10 weeks during a four month semester.

What if I want to keep them on part-time after their work term finishes?

You can! As long as they work 20 hours per week or less. International students can work up to 20 hours per week off campus as part of their study permit.

How do I pay an International student?

The same as you would a domestic student! International students must apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) as part of their co-op work permit. The regulations for minimum wage and labour standards are the same for International students as they are for all Canadians.

Are international students qualified to work for my company?

Absolutely! International students often have excellent global experience as well as higher education credentials when they come to Fanshawe College. Also, international students must reach a certain level of English proficiency before they are able to enter a Fanshawe program, so you can be assured that they are able to communicate and follow instructions in English.

What if I want to hire an international student after they graduate?

That's great! Students may apply for a work visa after graduation for up to three years in length as long as they have completed a program of at least two years in length. If they are successful in obtaining a work visa, you can hire them as you would any other employee. If after that time you wish to keep them on, and they wish to stay in Canada, you could apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment or that new employee can go through 1 of 60 routes to permanent residency. There are many options available and you can choose which is best based on your business, the position and the employee.

More information on hiring international students:

Immigration and Citizenship (Canada)

Ontario Immigration

Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (Ontario)