Fanshawe's virtual 2021 United Way Campaign
We may be physically separated, but we're still united in local love! COVID-19 continues to impact members of our community. Local people are struggling to meet basics needs as demand for social services continues to grow. As we look to an uncertain recovery, we must find ways to work together to help our neighbours in need.
- In London, one in five children live in poverty;
- In Middlesex County, one in four children live in poverty;
- Approximately 16 per cent of Elgin-St. Thomas residents live under the low-income cut-off;
- One in five people across our region used a United Way funded program or service last year – that’s more than 120,000 of us getting the support we need, when we needed it.
Our annual United Way campaign is driven by the goal to empower people in our communities to enjoy their lives to their fullest potential, no matter what the odds are. The funds support local agencies helping people right around the corner to overcome homelessness, poverty and barriers to education. We encourage everyone to work together in tackling these issues close to home, ensuring accessible supports for everyone in our communities.
In 2020, for the 11th year in a row that the College contributed more than $100,000 to United Way.
This year, please show your "Local Love” again and help to make our communities stronger.
Your gift will help make local issues #unignorable, enriching the lives of our friends, co-workers, students and neighbours and make a lasting difference for them and their families. Online giving and payroll deduction are now open for the 2021 United Way campaign.
Donate online and win big prizes in the Payroll Deduction Incentive Program!
New this year! Non-full-time employees can now opt-in for payroll deduction, contributing over four pay periods (full-time employees will still commit to contributing for one year).
When setting up your donation, you can choose where your support goes! At the bottom of the pledge page, you can select a United Way in your community if you would prefer your support to stay local to you.
Please use the appropriate link below to donate to the United Way:
- Fanshawe full-time employees: https://community.unitedwayem.ca/FanshaweFT
- Fanshawe part-time/non-full-time employees: https://community.unitedwayem.ca/FanshawePT
- Fanshawe retirees: https://community.unitedwayem.ca/FanshaweRetiree
- Fanshawe students, alumni and community: https://community.unitedwayem.ca/FanshaweCommunity
- Fanshawe Student Union employees: https://community.unitedwayem.ca/FSU
This year, we will once again offer a Payroll Deduction Incentive Program with three prize draws for employees who donate online. The first draw will take place on Friday, October 22 – donate before then to be entered for your chance to win an Apple iPad Air 4! For more details about the incentive program, please talk to the United Way Champion in your area or watch the myFanshawe portal for more information coming soon.
There will also be other ways to give later this term! Please see the events list below for more information about United Way fundraisers at Fanshawe.
Fundraisers, friend-makers and chances to win big!
While many of our annual favourite activities won't make sense this year, we are excited to announce some new virtual ways to get involved:
$2 Donation at Retail Services in-person locations – Tuesday, October 5 - Thursday, December 16
Winter warmth its for United Way - accepted in D1063 until Wednesday, November 3
Stair Climb for United Way Elgin Middlesex, Thursday, November 4
50/50 draw – Monday, November 1 - Friday, November 5
More special events will be posted here and on the myFanshawe portal as we learn about them.
Online 50/50 electronic raffle
Did you know? One in five people across our region used a United Way funded program or service last year. 125 agencies throughout our region rely on supports from United Way. Chances are you know at least one person who relies on local assistance opportunities funded by UW, like our students, our neighbours and possibly even our coworkers (and their families).
You can help make a difference for them! By participating in Fanshawe's 50/50 electronic raffle this week, you are joining the fight to provide basic needs like food, shelter, physical and mental wellbeing, social connection and safety. Ticket sales go toward our 2021 campaign, meaning 100% of the proceeds from each ticket sold will be directly invested back into local programs.
- Three for $10 - that's like providing two students a daily serving of milk each for one month.
- Ten for $20 - that's like helping two families to secure a garden plot, compost, water, seeds and instructions to grow food for a season.
- Fifty for $50 - that's like providing five individuals with access to a counselling session each at a walk-in clinic.
The online 50/50 electronic raffle is open to everyone! Ticket sales for the final 50/50 raffle ended on Friday, November 5 at 12 p.m.
To buy tickets, go to https://unitedwayem-web.bump5050.net/.
Thank you for showing your local love, supporting our community and giving families hope, especially this year. Together, more than ever, we will change the odds.