English as a Second Language (ESL)
Fanshawe College offers year-round opportunities for students from around the world to learn English. The focus of the ESL program is to prepare students for college and university programs in Canada.
The ESL program at Fanshawe College will provide you the opportunity to:
- engage in communicative, interactive activities and exercises to help you learn English;
- meet your goals to learn English quickly;
- gain confidence to speak English;
- learn academic vocabulary;
- acquire skills to help you succeed in post-secondary studies;
- learn the academic culture of the Canadian classroom;
- study specific language skills such as grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking and pronunciation;
- meet peers from all over the world.
Why ESL at Fanshawe College?
- ESL offers pathways to Fanshawe College, and other Ontario community colleges, as well as Western University, and King’s, Brescia and Huron University Colleges in London, ON.
- ESL students have free access to additional ESL support through the Learning Centre, including one-to-one tutoring, conversation circles and reading and writing workshops.
- ESL offers professional, experienced and caring teachers with TESL Ontario certification or equivalent.
- ESL start dates are in January, May and September with an option of starting in the middle of the term in March and November as well as monthly throughout the summer term.
- ESL has 25 hours of class and lab time each week.
- ESL students have their own ESL computer labs equipped with grammar, writing and pronunciation software.
- Fanshawe College has state of the art classrooms equipped with the latest technology.
- Students of ESL can live in Homestay with a Canadian family or in a college residence if they choose.