Autism and Behavioural Science
Count yourself among the few professionals with a developing expertise in Autism and behavioural science.
The significant escalation of the incidence rate for autism (estimated at 1 in 165 children) has created a significant shortfall in the number of specialists qualified to deliver effective services to this population.
In Fanshawe's Autism and Behavioural Science program, you'll develop advanced knowledge of autism and awareness of effective intervention techniques via two field placements and academic study. Courses include:
- Introduction to Applied Behaviour Analysis;
- Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD);
- Treating Challenging Behaviours;
- Working with Families and Teams;
- Ethics and Professionalism;
- Non-violent Crisis Prevention and Intervention (CPI);
- Behavioural Skill Building;
- Parent and Staff Training;
- Specialized Instructional Strategies;
- Transition Planning and Implementation.
When you graduate, you'll have established expertise in autism and behavioural science within the children's sector, and be able to select from a range of career opportunities including Autism Services and Children's Services, Instructor Therapist, private provider of Intensive Behaviour Intervention (IBI), and Autism Specialist in a service agency or school board.
Autism and Behavioural Science is a 30-week Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program, running September to April.
Phone: (519) 452-4430 ext. 3966
Fax: (519) 453-9882