The International Centre will provide you with a number of services to help you prepare for your arrival. We encourage you to attend events both before and after you arrive in Canada, to learn about resources and supports for full-time students to ensure you complete your studies successfully.
International Student Form
All Fanshawe students starting a new program must complete the International Student Form at least seven days before travelling. Your International Student form will let us know your date of arrival, arrival address and flight information. Please complete the International Student Form and upload your Passport Request (PPR) or your Port of Entry (POE) study permit approval letter no later than the dates listed below.
For students starting in:
Fall 2023: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 4:00 pm EST
Winter 2024: Monday, December 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm EST
Summer 2024: Monday, April 8, 2024 at 4:00 pm EST
Please make sure to check the time in your local area.
We are pleased to provide a complimentary airport shuttle service to students arriving in Canada for the first time. Note: Shuttle service is from Toronto’s Pearson Airport to a London or regional campus address (St. Thomas, Woodstock, Simcoe).
For spring, the shuttle service will be offered between April 5, 2023, and April 30, 2023.
Students arriving with family members (and/or pets) are required to book their own transportation, and may be eligible for a transportation credit. Please email fanshawecares@Fanshawec.ca for more information on arrival resources, and the family transportation credit.
Students arriving to the London International Airport (YXU) can arrange local transportation (ie: taxi, Uber) upon arrival to their destination within London and may also be considered for a transportation credit.
Arriving in Canada
Ensure you’re prepared for arrival by reviewing important information about entering Canada. When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet a border services officer who will make sure you meet some basic requirements.
To enter Canada, you must:
- have a valid travel document, such as a passport
- have the port of entry letter of introduction the visa office sent you when they approved your study permit
- This letter has your permit reference number, which we use to issue your study permit.
- have a copy of a valid letter of acceptance from your school
- have letters of reference or any other documents the visa office told you to bring
- have a valid electronic travel authorization (eTA), a valid visitor visa (temporary resident visa), a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of U.S. status) or another valid travel document
- If you have a valid eTA, it’ll be linked to the passport you used to apply for your study permit.
- have enough money for your stay (the amount you will need can vary—it depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives)
- be in good health
- have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
- convince an immigration officer that
- you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
- you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
- have valid immigration medical exam results (if you needed one)
- Your exam is valid for 12 months from the day you get it.
- It must be valid the day you enter Canada.
- If your exam will expire before you enter Canada, you need to get another medical exam.
- This applies even if your letter of introduction is still valid.
- prove that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your stay
Have questions about preparing to arrive in Canada?
Join us for upcoming virtual sessions where we’ll share information and answer your questions on the spot!
Session Dates: to be announced (TBA)
Find additional important information on the Government of Canada website:
Learn about Morcare, the health insurance plan provided to all international students as part of their student fees. Your health Insurance coverage will begin 30 days prior to your term start date. Early arrival coverage applies to first-year students only (does not include EAP students). This is a one-time benefit that applies to medical services.
You will not be able to print your insurance card, download the Morcare App or opt-in dependent family members until after the 10th day of class. If you need to visit a medical clinic before you have your card, please keep your payment receipts and mail your claim after the 10th day for reimbursement.
As a student, you may purchase a family plan at any time within 30 days of your program start date. If you need to purchase family coverage outside of your eligibility period due to birth of a child, or arrival of your family members, please contact Morcare within 30 days of the event to discuss whether you qualify.
International Student Orientation
Welcome to Fanshawe! Orientation includes a series of events and programs held by the International Centre, Student Service departments and the Fanshawe Student Union to help you get settled, find work, prepare for your studies, and have fun! Special programming is available to you and can be found below. You can also attend any other orientation-related events and programs available to all students! You can also attend any other orientation-related events and programs available to all students!
Fanshawe Cares is a 10 day series of sessions starting March 20, 2023, from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. EST offered by Fanshawe International. These sessions help International students prepare for their time at Fanshawe, and include information on Housing, Library Learning Commons, Morcare (your health insurance), Fanshawe Student Union, Career Services, Wellness Centre, and more. We encourage you to attend all sessions! Use this link to join!
Fanshawe Works and International Welcome - Watch your email for more information, and how to register!
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I contact the International Centre?
Review our services and contact information.
How can I access international student services?
Student Support Services are delivered both online and in-person. Connect with a Student Life Coordinator Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST (Eastern Standard Time) for an online appointment. Book an appointment.