Why you should choose a Co-op
Fanshawe College has 15 Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Canada (CEWIL) accredited programs, however the college boasts over 50 Co-op programs in total. Fanshawe’s Employment and Student Entrepreneurial services can support you in finding your Co-op through the job board and help you prepare your job search tool box which includes a resume, cover letter, and job search techniques, however students are responsible for finding and applying to their Co-ops.
Co-op terms vary in length depending on the program, Co-op terms can go for 4, 8 and 12 months. Landing that Co-op job is a competitive process, but when you are successful, you become an employee of the company that hires you for the term of your Co-op, and you must follow the company’s policies and processes.
Why should you complete a Co-op?
Co-operative Education is a great opportunity for you to expand your résumé and obtain hands-on work experience. However, a Co-op work term must meet learning outcomes of the program to be valid, make sure to find the right fit for you as well as meet the criteria to graduate. Working with your Co-operative Education Consultant can accelerate your success!
Benefits of Co-op:
- Faster entrance into the work field.
- Obtain bonified work experience directly related to your field.
- Co-ops offered in most regional campuses.
- 87% of Co-op students are employed after graduation.
- Co-op supports student learning, employers get an opportunity to see what the new incoming workers can bring to the table.
- Student Co-op work terms can be international, entrepreneurial, in their hometown or abroad. As long as the work meets the Co-op policy requirements there are no boundaries to the possibilities. If your Co-op work term is in Ontario, Co-op Consultants will do a site visit for first term Co-ops or the first-time employers. If outside of Ontario, typically, the Consultant will check in on you and your progress via telephone or Skype.
- Co-op is a great stepping-stone for your career, you get to earn while you learn and apply the skills and knowledge from school in an actual employment experience.
There are currently 54 Co-op programs at Fanshawe College, with five more launching in fall 2019. Learn more about them online here.
Subscribe to our Blog
- Fanshawe’s commitment to academic quality and student success is stronger than ever.
- In 2018, Ayden Miller (keyboard/synthesizer), Stefan Boulineau (lead vocals) and Cole Wilson (lead guitar) formed their band New Friends while working together in the studio of Fanshawe Music Industry Arts program.