How to apply to college in Ontario
Choosing to go to college can be one of the most important and exciting decisions in your life. Learning in an environment that aligns with your passions and skills can open many doors for your career. This exciting process can also be a little complicated, so we created a step-by-step guide to follow as you apply to college programs in Ontario.
Please note: these application steps are for domestic students only. International students should check out this guide.
Step 1 - Choose your college program
In Ontario, full-time domestic students apply to all colleges through OntarioColleges.ca, not directly to the colleges you’re interested in. This means that, with one form, you can apply for up to five programs – and up to three of these can be at any one college.
Find the programs you want by using the online Program Finder tool. See all of Fanshawe College's programs on Ontario Colleges' website here.
Part-time students: you can apply directly through a college.
Step 2 - Check the requirements
In general, you can apply to college if you have an Ontario high school diploma (OSSD). Each college may set other program requirements as well.
If you did not attend high school in Ontario, please contact a college directly for information.
Step 3 - Complete the online application form
After you know which programs you’d like to apply to, complete the online application form at OntarioColleges.ca. There is a non-refundable $95 application fee to apply. Make sure you pay this fee, or your application will be considered incomplete.
Your academic documents must be sent to OntarioColleges.ca. To find out how to get your transcripts and submit them, check out this link. If you’re in high school, your grades will be transmitted electronically by your school.
Remember these important dates
- October: Applications become available for programs starting the following fall. You may create an account and begin your application.
- February 1: Equal Consideration Date – apply to highly competitive programs on or before this date. After this date, colleges consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until programs are full.
- February 1: Colleges begin sending offers of admission. Offers will continue to be issued until programs are filled or wait-lists are established.
- May 1: Deadline to confirm your choice. Check all your offers and decide which one you want to accept – you can only accept one. To confirm an offer, log in to your Ontario Colleges account.
- Mid-June: Tuition deposit payment due. Colleges require payment of a tuition deposit in June to secure your spot in your program. Each college sets its own tuition deposit amount and payment deadline. This information will be communicated to you by the college.
Step 4 - Done! Now keep track of your application
You can track your application status online using your login to Ontario Colleges under the tab STU-VIEW. You will need your student ID and password to login. If you have forgotten your password, you can call 416-415-2000, 1-800-265-2002 (Toll-Free) or 1-877-515-5559 (TTY) for assistance. While you're waiting, sign-up for our email newsletter to stay in the loop about what's happening at the college.
Step 6 - Next steps (once your college application is complete)
Once your application is complete, Ontario Colleges will let you know via email confirmation.
Fanshawe College has more than 200 degree, diploma, certificate and apprenticeship programs, helping people unlock their potential and achieve success in a variety of disciplines including applied arts, business, health care, human services, hospitality and technology. Take a look at our complete list of programs here. We hope to see you on campus soon!
Subscribe to our Blog
- Fanshawe’s commitment to academic quality and student success is stronger than ever.
- In 2018, Ayden Miller (keyboard/synthesizer), Stefan Boulineau (lead vocals) and Cole Wilson (lead guitar) formed their band New Friends while working together in the studio of Fanshawe Music Industry Arts program.