What we do
Fanshawe's Research Ethics Board (REB) is accountable to ensure any and all research involving human subjects conforms to the ethical standards outlined in College Policy A201 - Research and Innovation. The REB helps ensure ethical principles are used in research projects involving human subjects. When research involves humans or human biological material, there are several guiding ethical principles:
- Respect for human dignity;
- Respect for free and informed consent;
- Respect for vulnerable persons;
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality;
- Respect for justice and inclusiveness;
- Balancing harms and benefits - minimizing harm, maximizing benefit.
The REB serves the Fanshawe College research community as a consultative body, and thus contributes to education in research ethics. It also has responsibility for independent, multidisciplinary review of the ethics of research to determine if research projects should start or continue.
One copy of the signed application and supporting documentation should be delivered or emailed to REB Coordinator Wanda Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before the scheduled submission deadline. Faxed applications are not accepted. Any application that is received after a submission deadline will be considered at the next available REB meeting. Incomplete applications will be returned for completion.
- Completed and signed application including the submission checklist.
- A copy of all final research instruments (e.g. interview questions, telephone scripts, survey questions, etc.)
- A copy of all final documentation/correspondence (e.g. consent forms, information letters, recruitment posters, recruitment correspondence such as letters, emails, texts, etc.)
Submission Deadlines and Meeting Dates
Although the Board does not officially meet in July and August, REB applications can be sent to Wanda Anderson at email@example.com who will organize a review.
Regularly scheduled meetings are as follows:
|Submission deadlines for above minimal risk applications||Meeting date|
|Monday, August 29, 2022||Thursday, September 8, 2022|
|Monday, October 3, 2022||Thursday, October 13, 2022|
|Monday, October 31, 2022||Thursday, November 10, 2022|
|Monday, November 28, 2022||Thursday, December 8, 2022|
|Monday, January 2, 2023||Thursday, January 12, 2023|
|Monday, January 30, 2023||Thursday, February 9, 2023|
|Monday, February 27, 2023||Thursday, March 9, 2023|
|Monday, April 3, 2023||Thursday, April 13, 2023|
|Monday, May 1, 2023||Thursday, May 11, 2023|
|Monday, May 29, 2023||Thursday, June 8, 2023|
In order for your above minimal risk application to be considered, the REB Coordinator must receive the signed and dated application and all supporting documentation a minimum of 10 calendar days prior to the meeting.
Forms and Guidelines
- Tri-Council Policy Statement (TCPS) (Revised 2018) / PDF Format
- Introductory Tutorial for the Tri-Council Policy Statement (2022)
- Panel on Research Ethics (PRE)
- Canadian Association of Research Ethics Boards (CAREB)
- Canadian Association of Research Administrators (CARA)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Researchers can submit the Ontario Community College Multi-Site application along with the Researcher Agreement to the Expert Panel. Scroll down to find forms and contacts.
The Expert Panel will review the Multi-Site application and if needed, works with the researcher if revisions/additions are necessary. Once deemed ethically acceptable, a letter of recommendation for approval is sent to the researcher. The researcher will send the ethically sound application along with the recommendation for approval letter to each of the institution’s ethics board being involved in the research.
The Research Ethics Board should be advised of and consulted on any proposed project involving human subjects.
Steve Crema, REB Chair
Room T3010, 1001 Fanshawe College Blvd.
London, ON N5Y 5R6
Wanda Anderson, REB Coordinator
1001 Fanshawe College Blvd.
London, ON N5Y 5R6