The Fanshawe College 2020 United Way campaign kicked off October 8, 2020 and will run until the end of January 2021.
We may be physically separated, but we're still united in local love!
As Southwestern Ontario faces an uncertain recovery, the unignorable issues that were here before COVID-19 hit are getting worse. London has the third highest child poverty rate in Canada. Our region is facing increasing youth homelessness. One in five people within our four counties live with a mental illness. Add COVID-19, and we're all feeling more vulnerable, socially isolated and fearful for the future.
Together, we can help. Together, we can make it easier for community resource centres to meet the 10 times higher demand they've seen since lockdowns began in March. Together, we can ease the burden of mental health service needs which have increased 43 per cent. Together, we can help people, families and entire neighbourhoods to become stronger.
Our annual United Way campaign is driven by the goal to empower people in our communities to enjoy their lives to their fullest potential, no matter what the odds are. The funds support local agencies helping people right around the corner to overcome homelessness, poverty and barriers to education. We encourage everyone to work together in tackling these persistent, unignorable issues close to home, ensuring accessible supports for everyone in our communities.
Last year, Fanshawe's massively record-breaking $136,777 gift to the community meant that you – our employees, students and friends – helped to make the following things happen specifically because of what you contributed together:
- 1,974 families and seniors accessed physical activity, healthy food or nutrition programs and increased belonging;
- 225 young people received support and after-school programming, making them more likely to become successful adults;
- 409 kids in K-3 accessed programs in reading and writing, increasing their skills and potential for academic success;
- 86 people accessed affordable housing, financial literacy training or emergency shelter.
This year, please show your "Local Love” again and help to make our communities stronger.
Fundraisers, friend-makers and chances to win big!
While many of our annual favourite activities won't make sense this year, we are excited to announce some new virtual ways to get involved:
- 50/50 draws: October 26 to 30 and December 14 to 18, 2020; January 25 to 29, 2021;
- Winter "Koats for Kids" coat drive: November 16 to 20, 2020;
- Payroll Deduction Incentive Program: Now until December 17, 2020.
Online giving and payroll deduction are now open for the 2020 United Way campaign. Please visit www.fanshawec.ca/unitedway and use the appropriate link to donate to our campaign.
This year, we will once again offer a Payroll Deduction Incentive Program with monthly prize draws for employees who donate online. The first draw for the early bird prize will take place on Friday, October 23, 2020. Donate before then to be entered for your chance to win an Apple watch! For more details about the incentive program, please talk to the United Way Champion in your area or watch the myFanshawe portal for more information and special events to be posted in the coming weeks.
Once again this year, thanks to a small group of local donors, the Leadership Challenge Grant will provide dollar-for-dollar matching funds for all new Leadership level gifts. That means anyone who donates $1,200 or more for the first time will generate a $2,400 investment in programs that need it most. For example, that contribution could look like:
- 13 youth having the opportunity to participate in a recreation program;
- 17 seniors receiving necessary support to live independently;
- 11 children participating in literacy and social skills programs.
(If you can't give $1,200 or more, don't worry. Any amount helps. You can still make a big difference with a dollar a day, $5/pay or whatever you're able to give.)
United Way Champions are volunteers from our faculty, support and administrative teams who are available to assist you throughout the 2020 campaign. To learn more about how you can participate, volunteer and get involved in this year's campaign, or to get in touch with your area Champion, please contact champion coordinator Amelia Ertel (firstname.lastname@example.org) or our Sponsored Employee, Jackie Corby (email@example.com). Make sure you also watch the myFanshawe portal for updates. We will continue to share information about fundraising events, donation opportunities and impact stories throughout the campaign. You can also visit our United Way web page at www.fanshawec.ca/unitedway.
Thank you for showing your local love, supporting our community and giving families hope, especially this year. Together, more than ever, we will change the odds.
- The Fanshawe College 2020 United Way campaign kicked off October 8, 2020 and will run until the end of January 2021.
- Fanshawe College’s Centre for Research and Innovation has developed a safe, rapid and inexpensive method to identify the effectiveness of potential COVID-19 drug treatments.