Discover one of Ontario’s largest plant collections in 100 acres of accredited botanical gardens
Fanshawe is proud to present the Fanshawe College Botanical Gardens, a living library with an internationally recognized plant collection. The Botanical Gardens are home to over 4,000 plant species managed by students and faculty of Fanshawe’s Horticulture Technician program. Located at the London Campus and The Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden in Strathroy, Ontario, these unique gardens are part of Botanic Gardens Conservation International and maintain associations with botanic gardens across the globe.
Highlights of the botanical gardens
- Guests are invited to explore plants displayed in dry, rock, woodland, perennial, rose and grass gardens.
- Several indigenous plants on the endangered species list belong to the collection, such as the Cucumber Magnolia and the Yellow Trillium.
- Well-known throughout North America, the gardens hosted the Perennial Plant Association in 2000 and were the first Canadian Gardens to be honoured by them for exemplary design use of perennials and woody plants.
Spread across Fanshawe College’s London Campus are the London Gardens, a learning laboratory encompassing the entire campus. Students of Fanshawe’s Horticulture Technician program benefit both from the practical horticulture training in the care of the Gardens, as well as the constant exposure to one of the largest public plant collections in Ontario.
Highlights of the London Gardens:
- These botanical gardens are recognized as a public resource and are enjoyed by both amateur horticulturists and the general public.
- The London Gardens are home to one of the largest public plant collections in Ontario, always open to visitors.
- Originating from the Woodland Gardens, the London Gardens were made possible through an instrumental partnership between The Cathedral Church of Saint Paul’s and Fanshawe College.
The Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden
Sprawling over 6 acres of beautifully landscaped gardens, The Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden is known across North America for its array of unique and endangered plant species and commitment to horticulture excellence. Founded by A.M. (Mac) Cuddy and Patricia Van Omen Cuddy, the estate has evolved into one of Ontario’s premier plant collections and is now proudly managed as a “living classroom” by Fanshawe College’s Horticulture Technician program faculty and students.
Highlights of the The Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden:
- The Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden was first developed as a park-like landscape in the early 1950’s, and in 1991 extensive design and further development took place over the next 5 years to become the expansive garden seen today.
- The gardens and house were donated to Fanshawe College in 1996 by Patricia Van Omen Cuddy, and are currently managed by faculty and students of the Horticulture Technician programs. Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on work experience in all new development and routine maintenance of the garden.
- Reflecting an English planting style, the gardens are designed with complex layers of plants with changing venues weekly and an organic lawn care program has been instituted since 1992.
- Each spring, some one hundred thousand bulbs bloom throughout the garden, with over 30,000 narcissus of some forty different species and cultivars flowering throughout the grounds.
Guests are welcome to visit the Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden, open to the public during regular Open House events and for groups by appointment.
View the upcoming Open Garden event
Group tours are available by appointment only, for a fee. Please contact Michael Pascoe for more information, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 519-520-3359.
The Mac Cuddy Botanic Garden is an ideal setting for your next meeting or reception. Whether your event is a large or formal gathering or a small casual meeting, we can help you create the perfect venue!
Event planning services can include:
- Outdoor venue consultation, booking, and access
- Catering services and dietary accommodations
- Coordination of security, cleaning services and grounds
- On-site event assistance
Our professional event coordinators can help you select the right options for your event and look after all the details. Contact us today at 1-844-CTS-FANS, or by email at email@example.com.