Fun fall activities near London, Ontario
Fall is a great time to get outdoors. The weather is still summer-like and the fall colours provide the perfect backdrop for taking the family apple picking or on a corn maze expedition. Dress for the weather, get outside and make the most of the last warm days before winter.
Apple picking near London, Ontario
Did you know:
- The best months for apple picking are September and early October;
- Apples ripen from the outside of the tree toward the centre, so apples on the outside branches will be ready for picking first;
- To maintain crispness, picked apples should be stored in a plastic bag in the fridge or in a root cellar;
- To prevent spoilage, don’t wash your apple until ready to eat or use it.
Apple picking tips:
- Call ahead to ensure the orchard is open and find out what varieties are available;
- Pack sturdy bags in case the orchard doesn’t have any available;
- Properly pick the apple by rolling it upward off the branch and giving it a little twist. If it’s ripe, the stem will easily come away from the branch;
- Never shake the branches or pull the apple straight away from the tree.
Local apple picking farms:
Corn mazes near London, Ontario
Corn mazes are giant puzzles cut into a farmer’s cornfield. These popular tourist attractions, cropping up all over Southwestern Ontario, range from easy to challenging and most offer other fun, family activities. The season usually runs from Labour Day to the end of October.
Navigating a corn maze:
- Wear comfortable shoes;
- Use the washroom before you start;
- Bring water and snacks;
- Wear bug repellant and sunscreen;
- Pick up a maze map;
- Don’t cut through the corn;
- Be prepared to get lost and have fun!