Helping you achieve your career goals
Every student should have access to a mentorship experience as a tool in their career development. Through this experience, mentees are able to build meaningful connections as well as learn how to engage in mentorship throughout their future careers. We offer mentorship opportunities and experiences to guide students in working toward their career development goals. When you join InSPIRE Mentoring you will:
- Gain supportive, meaningful connections within your industry and throughout Fanshawe
- Receive advice, encouragement and support as you navigate your career path
- Identify your career development goals
- Learn how to leverage mentorship as a tool in working toward your goals
- Develop professional communication and networking skills while building your confidence
- Gain industry knowledge, insight and exposure to real-world applications of your program
- Receive event invitations to meet and engage with other participants
- Obtain Co-Curricular Record recognition of participation for your portfolio or resume
There’s a place for everyone within InSPIRE Mentoring. We recognize that each student has their own goals, timeline, availability and preferences for how they want to engage in mentorship. That’s why each of our options has a different focus and approach to connecting with mentors. Each option offers a different level of flexibility and commitment on your part, so take a look and determine what works best for you and your career development goals.
Peer Mentorship - connect with peers who are engaged in campus life and on the path to their future careers.
- You are an upper level student who is actively involved in your field of study
- Meet with mentees who have requested individual matches
- Provide information, develop networking skills and answer questions regarding ESES and other services available to students
- Invite mentees to ESES events and attend to promote inclusion, and act as a familiar face while helping to create a welcoming space
- Improve your leadership, communication and management skills in addition to gaining volunteer experience and expanding your network through ESES contacts and events
- Commit to your mentor role for a minimum of 2-4 hours per month
Those interest in becoming a peer mentor please contact
- Meet with upper year students in career-focused mentoring relationships
- Choose to participate in group or individual mentoring interactions
- Ask questions about your field of study and ways to connect with your industry
- Receive guidance regarding Employment and Student Entrepreneurial Services (ESES) events and services that may contribute to your career development
- Direct the focus of your mentoring conversations around your personal career development goals
- Have confidence in knowing you have a mentor to contact who can provide information about student services on campus and who genuinely cares about your Fanshawe experience
- The length of your mentoring relationship is based on your career development goals and reasons for engaging with the program
If you are interested in becoming a mentee.
Larry Myny Industry Mentorship - navigate your career development pathway by engaging with industry!
Create industry connections by being formally matched with a professional in your area of interest.
- You are industry professionals interested in connecting with mentees whose interests and goals align with your experience
- Gain recognition for your skills, industry knowledge and experience, along with a sense of fulfillment and personal growth
- Develop leadership and communication skills while expanding your own professional network and building a sense of community
- Have an opportunity to give back to your professional community by providing advice and encouragement, helping to develop the next generation of leaders
- Be exposed to fresh perspectives, ideas, approaches and emerging talent
Mentor applications for industry mentorship also remain open.
- You are in your final year and are interested in making connections within your industry
- Receive a formal match with an industry professional in your field to receive advice, encouragement, and support
- Identify and create career development goals which direct the focus of the mentoring relationship
- Engage in regular meetings with your mentor through on-going and active participation, to gain industry knowledge and exposure to real world applications of the learning from your program
- Develop professional communication and networking skills while building confidence
Mentee applications for industry mentorship are now closed for the year. To inquire about an application, please contact us
Build Your Own Experience (BYOE) – Design an independent mentorship experience that aligns with your career goals
You are in any level or program and want to design your own mentorship experience based on your career development goals which will guide your search for mentors. Identify and initiate contact with industry professionals who can support you in working towards your goals.
How does BYOE work? What are the mentee’s next steps?
- Complete the BYOE mentee registration form
- The InSPIRE Mentoring Team processes BYOE Mentee registrations on a weekly basis
- Receive a welcome email and “BYOE Workbook” within one week of the processing of your registration form
- Identify career development goals using the “BYOE Workbook” in preparation for contacting potential mentors
- Engage in meaningful relationship building and networking experiences with as many mentors as you deem necessary to achieve your goals
- Experiences may include informational interviews, video chats, email conversations, industry or networking events, short job shadows (virtual or in person) or other opportunities that help you to achieve your goals
- Receive monthly check-in emails about the progress of your goals and to provide information about upcoming events
- Track mentorship hours which are validated by each mentor and submitted to the InSPIRE Mentoring Team at email@example.com for Co-Curricular Record recognition after completing 10 hours
Contact the InSPIRE Mentoring Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.