Helping you achieve your career goals
Every student should have access to a mentorship experience as a tool in their career development. Through this experience, mentees are able to build meaningful connections as well as learn how to engage in mentorship throughout their future careers. We offer mentorship opportunities and experiences to guide students in working toward their career development goals. When you join InSPIRE Mentoring you will:
- Gain supportive, meaningful connections within your industry and throughout Fanshawe
- Receive advice, encouragement and support as you navigate your career path
- Identify your career development goals
- Learn how to leverage mentorship as a tool in working toward your goals
- Develop professional communication and networking skills while building your confidence
- Gain industry knowledge, insight and exposure to real-world applications of your program
- Receive event invitations to meet and engage with other participants
- Obtain Co-Curricular Record recognition of participation for your portfolio or resume
There’s a place for everyone within InSPIRE Mentoring. We recognize that each student has their own goals, timeline, availability and preferences for how they want to engage in mentorship. That’s why each of our options has a different focus and approach to connecting with mentors. Each option offers a different level of flexibility and commitment on your part, so take a look and determine what works best for you and your career development goals.
Connect with peers who are engaged in campus life and on the path to their future careers.
Learn about career development from another student who is a few steps ahead of you, engaged in campus life, and on the path to their future career.
- You are an upper-level student (year 2 or above)
- You are interested in career development and supporting other students
- You remember what it was like to have questions about your future career, college services and student life when you first started at Fanshawe
- Meet with peer mentees to set goals and provide guidance
- Provide information, develop networking skills and answer questions regarding Employment and Student Entrepreneurial Services
- Improve your leadership, communication and management skills
- Gain volunteer experience and expand your network
- Commit to your mentor role for a minimum of 1 term and 2 - 4 hours a month
If you are interested in becoming a peer mentor, please email email@example.com
- Meet with upper-level students to talk about your future career, and ask questions about college services and student life
- Ask questions about your field of study and ways to connect with your industry
- Receive guidance regarding Employment and Student Entrepreneurial Services events and services that may contribute to your career development
- Have confidence in knowing you have a mentor to contact who can provide information about student services on campus and who genuinely cares about your Fanshawe experience
- The length of time you are matched with your peer mentor is based on your career development goals and reasons for participating
Register below to join as a peer mentee
Larry Myny Industry Mentorship
Be matched with an industry mentor and work on your career development goals
Create industry connections by being matched with a professional whose experience aligns with your interests and goals.
- You are an industry professional (minimum 2 years experience in your field) interested in connecting with students
- Gain recognition for your skills, industry knowledge and experience, along with a sense of fulfillment and personal growth
- Develop leadership and communication skills while expanding your own professional network
- Have an opportunity to give back to your professional community by providing advice and encouragement, helping to develop the future workforce
- Be exposed to fresh perspectives, ideas, approaches and emerging talent
Industry mentor applications are accepted year-round.
Industry Mentees (students)
- You are interested in making connections within your industry
- Get matched with an industry professional whose experience aligns with your career goals
- Create career development goals which direct the focus of your conversations with your mentor
- Meet regularly with your mentor to gain industry knowledge and exposure to real world applications of your program
- Develop professional communication and networking skills while building confidence
- Priority for an industry match is given to students in their final year at Fanshawe
Network + Connect Mentorship (N + C)
LEARN HOW TO NETWORK WITH YOUR INDUSTRY AND CONNECT WITH PEOPLE IN YOUR FIELD
Networking is important for your career. However, it’s not who or how many people you have in your network that makes the biggest impact in your career development, it’s the meaningful career conversations you have with your connections.
Students who participate in N+C will:
- Have a better understand of the value of mentorship and how talking with a mentor can help you reach your career goals
- Set mentorship goals and prepare to contact industry professionals
- Expand your network by learning how to approach industry professionals and initiating career conversations
Network + Connect Mentorship is open to all students at Fanshawe. To get involved:
- Complete the N+C registration form and receive a welcome email and N+C workbook
- Meet with a Mentorship Consultant to set or clarify your goals and review the workbook (this step is optional, but strongly recommended)
- Attend mentorship workshops and events (or view recordings) to support your progress
- Engage in meaningful relationship building and networking experiences with as many mentors as you deem necessary to achieve your goals
- Track mentorship hours and submit the N+C workbook to the InSPIRE Mentoring Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for Co-Curricular Record recognition
Experiences may include informational interviews, video chats, email conversations, industry or networking events, short job shadows (virtual or in person) or other opportunities that help you to achieve your goals.
All N+C mentees will receive monthly check-in emails about the progress of your goals and to provide information about upcoming events. You are also welcome to meet with a Mentorship Consultant at any time.
Contact the InSPIRE Mentoring Team at email@example.com.