About Residence

How many spaces are there in Residence?

There are 1,214 traditional-style bedrooms and 396 townhouse-style bedrooms (for a total of 1,610 total beds).

Can I visit Residence for a tour?

Yes! You can check out residence as part of your London Campus tour - book now!. You can also visit us online for a virtual tour!

What about off-campus housing?

If Residence isn't the right option for you, there are lots of resources available to help you find a comfortable home off-campus. You can check out our Off-Campus Housing website for more information.

Does Residence have security features?

Residence offers great security from the moment you pass through the controlled main entrance, until you slide your electronic card into your private bedroom. All of the common areas are video recorded and we have staff on duty 24 hours a day. We believe that your safety is important. To that end, we require that all visitors to Falcon, Merlin or Peregrine sign in at the front desk prior to entry with a valid piece of photo identification and remain with their resident at all times.

Safety and security are also the responsibility of every resident. All of the safeguards and rules put in place by Residence management and the college are for your protection. Circumventing rules by lending key cards or letting visitors in without following procedures leads to problems for everyone. Make sure your unit and bedroom doors are locked at all times and do not leave valuables unattended in common areas.

The Residence and the college are not responsible for missing, lost or stolen items.

Where is parking for Residence?

Limited parking is available to those living in the traditional residences or in Kestrel Court. Parking passes are issued on a first come, first paid basis and students will be able to apply in the residence acceptance portal.

How does Residence support student success?

Residence Life supports student success by promoting a safe and accepting environment that fosters personal and academic development. At Fanshawe Residence, we:

  • Provide intentional programming that focuses on community development, healthy living, personal identity and diversity and intellectual experiences;
  • Incorporate environmental and sustainable initiatives in all that we do;
  • Surround residents with residence staff who are knowledgeable and committed to their success;
  • Collaborate with campus and community partners to ensure our residents receive the support they need to succeed;
  • Nurture a sense of personal responsibility and accountability through the application of our residence community standards.

To achieve our goals, we all must work together as members of the community to make residence a positive and supportive experience.

The Residence community comprises residents, staff, parents, guests and anyone else who contributes to Residence. All community members that come into the residence environment should know that the standards or rules must exist to ensure enjoyment and a positive experience for all members of our large, diverse community.

Navigating the delicate balance between supporting your student and allowing them the freedom to develop crucial decision-making skills can be challenging. We are committed to providing the support and resources to help you and your student during this transition.



When do I apply to Residence?

Residence applications are now open for the 2024/25 school year. In order to apply to Residence, you must accept an offer to Fanshawe College through Ontario Colleges. Two days following accepting your offer you can apply to Residence using your WebAdvisor login information.

When do I apply to Residence as a Collaborative Nursing Student?

In order to apply to Residence, you must first receive an offer of admission from Fanshawe College. Once you have received your offer of admission, you must complete the online Residence application process.

Can my parents contact you about my Residence application?

Please be aware that privacy laws prohibit us from discussing your application, assignment and account status with anyone, including your parents, unless you give us permission to do so through our residence consent form. The consent form is included in your Residence acceptance package. We encourage you to contact us directly with any questions or concerns you may have regarding residence at Fanshawe College. By asking your own questions, you will begin the transition to independent living and will feel more comfortable asking questions while in Residence.



How is acceptance into Residence determined?

Fanshawe is proud to offer guaranteed residence for first year students at Fanshawe*.  Applicants need to apply and complete their first payment by June 15 to be guaranteed a spot. After that students will be offered space in the order applications are received, as long as space is still available.

* Residence is guaranteed for first year students studying at London campus locations only. 

When will I find out if I have been accepted into Residence?

Once you have completed your online Residence application and have paid your $100 application fee, you will receive a confirmation email from the Residence Acceptance Team. Acceptances will start to be sent out in mid-March. Once the spaces are full you will be placed on a waitlist for an available spot. Should a spot become available, residence will contact you by email and you will have 48 hours to claim the spot. 

What do I do once I have been accepted to Residence

All students who have been accepted into Residence and have paid their $100 application fee within the timeline given should receive an acceptance email. Once you have received your acceptance email and continued through the acceptance process, you will be required to pay your Residence fees.  

Before continuing in your acceptance process, please review the rates, options and payment due dates carefully. All payments must be made on or before those dates. Failure to meet the payment deadlines may result in the cancellation of your place in Residence without warning. Please be aware we do not accept OSAP deferrals or receive money from OSAP directly.

If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the Residence office.

How do I know I have completed my acceptance?

Your acceptance is complete once you have logged into the Residence Portal and reached the “Additional Details” step.


Paying for Residence

When should I expect to receive an invoice from Residence?

Residence Services does not issue invoiced for Residence fees. Residence fee payments and deadlines are outlined within your acceptance letter and can be found under "Payment Dates" on Traditional Residences or Townhouse Residence.

When are payments due?

Option 1: full payment

Full payment due by June 15 

Option 2: two payment plan 
Equal payments due by June 15 and August 1

Option 3: three payment plan
Equal payments due by June 15, August 1 and October 15

Option 4: manager approved payment plan
Vary based on manager approved

How do I make a payment?

Through your Residence portal

  • Select "Make a Payment". We accept Visa or MasterCard (Visa debit cannot be used).

Through certified cheque or money order

  • Please make payable to “Fanshawe Residence” and send to the address below:

Attn: Residence Management
Fanshawe Residence, Falcon Residence - R1
1001 Fanshawe College Blvd.
Box 7004
London, Ontario
N5Y 5W2

Through your financial institution

  • Set-up "Fanshawe Residence" as a payee. Your account number will be your student number (include any leading zeroes).

Through international wire transfer

  • Students sending international wire transfers must use Flywire PeerTransfer (Instructions can be found here). Unfortunately, we cannot accept personal cheques.
What if I plan to use OSAP to pay for my Residence fees?

We do not accept OSAP deferrals for Residence fees or meal plan payments. If you are applying for OSAP to fund your education and housing, there are often wait times and delays as you navigate the process.

Will Residence extend payment deadlines?

Residence does not provide extensions to payment deadlines. If you are unsure if you will be able to meet the payment due dates (outlined in the "When are payments due?" tab above), we suggest that you look into other funding options that may be available.

Please review the rates and fee deadlines, and consider your funding options before applying.

What will happen if I don’t make my payments on time?

Payment due dates and amounts are listed on the Residence website (view Traditional and Townhouse Residence pages for specific information). Failure to meet any payment deadlines may result in the loss of your place in Residence.

Will Residence remind me about upcoming payments?

All communication regarding reminder notices and invoices will be sent directly to you, the student.

You can also view all payment deadlines for your chosen payment option on our Traditional Residence or Townhouse Residence pages. We will only send an invoice to a student's parent/guardian if repeated attempts to acquire payment from the student directly have been unsuccessful.

How do I get an income tax receipt?

Residence fees cannot be claimed on income tax returns. The only claim that is allowed is $25 for the year as per the Ontario Government.



How can I get involved in Residence?

Becoming a Resident Advisor (R.A.)
  • Who can be an R.A.?
    Anyone! Whether you are going to be in your first-year at Fanshawe College or your last year, all full-time students students are welcome to apply to become a Resident Advisor.
  • Will I get paid as an R.A.?
    Yes. All R.A.s are paid an hourly wage.
  • What does the R.A. role entail? Can I manage it with my program? 
    The R.A. role involves being a friend, support and leader among the Residence community. It includes responsibilities such as planning events for the students in Residence, creating informative bulletin boards and conducting rounds in the building to ensure the safety and security of others. The R.A. role requires a high degree of time management. If you are able to manage your time then the R.A. role can be undertaken by anyone regardless of program.
  • How do I become an R.A.?
    If you are learning more about becoming an R.A. or applying, please contact Jessica Waringer.



Is Residence wheelchair accessible?

Our Falcon and Merlin Residence buildings are wheelchair accessible.

What if I have a medical concern or require special consideration for a Residence room?

If you have a medical condition that would require the use of a barrier-free suite in Residence, you must provide us with this information when you are filling out your application online. Within the Accommodation Preferences section of the application, there is a question related to the requirement of an adapted room. Students requiring special accommodations in Residence are encouraged to contact Accessibility Services to ensure that you have what you need while living in Residence. If you missed this question on your application, please contact us directly.


Residence assignments

How do you match up roommates?

The Residence application contains a series of questions about your personality, study habits and personal preferences. Based on your answers, we place you with a roommate of the same gender who has similar interests. If you have a friend who will be living in Residence, there is an option to request them. During the application process, there will be options for you to search for roommates. The application program will compare your profile to other Residence applicants and provide you with suggestions. You can create your roommate group by adding a friend you already know or someone who has been suggested for you. Please note that there are no co-ed units and that placement requests are not guaranteed.

I am transgender or agender. How will I be assigned a room?

Our goal is to provide you with accommodations where you will feel comfortable with your roommates. If you identify as transgender or agender, please contact us so that we can provide you with options to make your Residence environment the most comfortable fit for you.


What should I pack for residence?

General supplies
  • Bedroom
    • Double or Queen bed sheets (Double width and Queen length) for traditional residence
    • Double bed sheets for Kestrel Court Standard
    • Single bed sheets if assigned Kestral Court Small
    • Blankets/Comforter/Duvet
    • Pillows
    • Alarm clock
    • Small fan
    • Storage bins to fit under your bed
    • TV for your bedroom
  • Workspace Supplies
    • Computer
    • Desk lamp
    • Binders
    • Pens/Pencils
    • Stapler
    • Paper
    • Three-hole punch
    • Program supplies
  • Kitchen Supplies
    • Dish towels
    • Dish clothes or sponges
    • Dish soap
    • Dish rack
    • Garbage bags
    • Cutlery
    • Glasses
    • Dishes
    • Cooking utensils
    • Microwave-safe dishes
    • Storage containers
    • Pots and pans
  • Bathroom Supplies
    • Bath towels
    • Hand towels
    • Wash cloths
    • Shower curtains and rings
    • Bath mat
    • Personal hygiene products
    • Toilet paper
    • Hand soap
  • Laundry Supplies
    • Your clothes (for all weather and seasons)
    • Laundry basket or hamper
    • Laundry soap
    • Clothes hangers
    • Credit or debit cards to fill your laundry card
Can I bring additional cooking devices?

Residents are only allowed to bring CSA-certified appliances that have self-contained heat sources and an automatic shut-off feature. Items not permitted include hot plates, induction burners or indoor grills.

Can I bring a personal refrigerator into my Residence room?

Residents are not permitted to bring personal refrigerators into the Residence buildings, however, they may rent personal refrigerators from Fanshawe's contractor, Coldex. This policy ensures that all refrigerators entering the Residence building are safe, clean and energy-efficient. Place your order with Coldex and your fridge will be in your Residence bedroom when you arrive.

Can I have candles or incense in Residence?

Please do not bring candles, incense or smoking devices like hookahs or bongs. Burnables are not permitted to be used inside the Residence buildings.

Is alcohol permitted in Residence?

Alcohol is permitted for those of legal drinking age. However, please do not bring single-serve glass alcohol bottles, kegs, mini-kegs or alcohol funnels into our Residence buildings.

Can I get linens for my bedroom from Residence?

We’ve partnered with My Dorm Store to help you move into residence.

My Dorm Store is a curated dorm shopping solution made by students, for students. Students can order everything to make their dorm into their home. Once you find what you’re looking for, My Dorm Store fulfills your custom order and delivers to your residence before you arrive so you have all the essentials on move-in day!



Can I move in early?

Yes, you will be able to move in early. More details about early move-in will be provided this summer. 

When is Residence move-in?

Residence move-in takes place over the Saturday and Sunday of Labour Day weekend. Information regarding your move-in time and what to expect the day of move-in will be sent out in August. 

Will there be anyone to help us move in?

Yes! The Move-In Crew will be on hand to help you unload your vehicle and move your belongings to your room. 

Will there be anyone to help us move out?

We do not have a move-out crew available during move-out.


Residence guidelines

Does the Residence fall under the Residential Tenancies Act?

No, the Residential Tenancies Act does not apply to students living a college or university Residence. You can learn more about the Residential Tenancies Act.

Is smoking permitted in Residence?

No, Fanshawe Residence is a smoke-free environment. Smoking on campus is only permitted outside in the designated smoking areas.

Can I have a pet in Residence?

No, pets are not permitted in Residence, even for visiting. Only registered service animals are permitted in Residence, with appropriate documentation.

I am only 17, are there any different rules for me?

All the rules and regulations outlined in the Student Residence Agreement and Residence Community Standards will apply to students, regardless of age.

What rights and responsibilities do students living in residence have?

Residents can refer to the Residence Community Living Standards 2024/2025 to understand the rules and responsibilities of living in residence. 


Staying in Residence

Will I be evicted from Residence if I do not do well academically?

A resident must be a registered full-time student to be eligible to live in Residence. Should you be unsuccessful in completing your semester at Fanshawe College, you will be required to leave Residence as well.

I have co-op during my second semester. Can I stay in Residence?

Yes, a student with full-time co-op is permitted to stay in Residence.

What if I am only going to be in school for the first semester?

As per the Student Residence Agreement, all residents are required to pay the full amount of Residence fees. When you arrive at Residence, ask your front desk for a Withdrawal Form, and return it as soon as you know your expected move out date. Once you have returned this form to the front desk, you will be added to our refund waitlist to be considered for a refund for your second semester Residence fees.

Can I stay in Residence over the winter break?

Yes you can! You will need to fill out an extended stay request form at the front desk to let us know what dates you will be requiring to stay in Residence over the break.

Residence fees cover the fall residency term (September 3, 2022 to December 18, 2022, or 24 hours after the student’s final exam for that term) and the Winter/Spring residency term (January 1, 2023 to April 22, 2023, or 24 hours after the student’s final exam for that term). Accommodation outside of these dates will be subject to an additional per diem charge, which can be found on the extended stay form.

Can I stay in Residence over the summer?

Residence offers student housing over the summer semester. You can apply on the Residence Portal.


Resources in Residence

I need help, who can I talk to?

If you are having challenges or concerns in Residence, we encourage you to speak with one of our Residence Life staff members. Our staff are fully trained to help you with any issue that may arise and will work to help you in any way they can. Resident Advisors live on each floor in Falcon, Peregrine, and Merlin houses and through Kestrel Court. These are students who go through an extensive training program and are equipped to link you to whatever resources you may need (Residence Life Management, Counselling and Accessibility, Sexual Violence and Prevention Advisor, Campus Security Services, etc.). Three full-time professional residence life managers also live on-site and are on an on-call rotation to be available 24/7 in case of emergencies.

I’m having trouble with a roommate, what do I do?

If you are having challenges or concerns in Residence, please speak to one of our Residence Life staff members. Our staff are fully trained to deal with any issue that may arise and will work to help you in any way we can.

If I, as a parent, am concerned about my son/daughter's well-being, who can I contact?

Your student may get caught up in studies and social time and forget to call or email you as often as you would like. Moving to college is a very exciting time and often students will become so wrapped up in this new stage of their lives that it does not occur to them that you may be concerned. If you have any concerns about your student's safety or health, please call and speak with the on-call Residence Life Manager. You can also call at any time to speak with one of our customer service representatives and we will work to pass your message along to your student.