What to know before you move into residence
Is it your first year away from home? Don’t panic. Residence will be your home away from home for this school year.
Whether you live in traditional apartment-style or townhouse-style accommodation you need to prepare for your move. Here are a few things to know before moving in.
When to move in
Residence move-in will be - Saturday, August 31 - Sunday, September. The moving-in process occurs in alphabetical order based on last name.
- Last names A to F: Saturday, August 31, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Last names G to L: Saturday, August 31, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Last names M to R: Sunday, September 1, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Last names S to Z: Sunday, September 1, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Where to move:
Go to your designated residence or check-in at the Falcon building to be taken to your residence room. Move-in crew volunteers will help you move your belongings.
What to pack
- Bedroom supplies
- Program supplies
- Workspace supplies
- Bathroom supplies
- Kitchen supplies
- Personal items
- Laundry supplies
What to order:
Want a personal fridge? Don’t know what to bring or not bring? See Residence FAQs.
Once you’ve moved-in:
- Getting Involved – get involved with the community! Your Residence Services team will host a lot of different events, keep an eye on the community bulletin boards. The Fanshawe Student Union also hosts activities and plans events of interest for residents including sports, social activities and off-campus events.
- Get to know your roommates! Spend some time bonding with your roommates, find interests your share and talk about your expectations of living together.
- Finding Support – We’re here for you! Your Resident Advisor and the Residence Life staff members are here to help you with any problems or concerns. In case of emergencies there are Residence Life Managers accessible on site 24/7.
For Mom/Dad and loved ones
Being away from home for the first time can be hard. Surprising your loved one with a letter from home or a care package containing some of their favourite things can help make the homesickness a little bit easier.
Mail and packages can be sent to:
c/o Residence Services, Fanshawe College
1001 Fanshawe College Blvd.
If you need help moving in or having any questions or concerns contact Residence.
Subscribe to our Blog
- Fanshawe College’s special constables, who provide security services on campus, are now carrying naloxone kits.
- Essential Skills for Truck Drivers is free to eligible participants and provides a solid understanding of safety, legislation, procedures and standards used in the Ontario trucking industry.