Have you completed a post-secondary program elsewhere or are you looking for a change? Fanshawe has academic pathways for all goals.

Advanced standing: Transferring a whole semester or year of study

When getting credit for a group of courses, we call it an “advanced standing” or “block transfer” because courses are not assessed on a course by course basis, instead credit is given as per an agreement between two schools. Advanced Standing qualifies the applicant for direct entry to the second or higher level of the program on the basis of academic achievement at another institution and/or the PLAR process.

How to apply for advanced standing

  1. Find out if Fanshawe College has an articulation agreement with your current institution by searching Fanshawe's Pathways Database on ONTransfer.ca. An articulation agreement is an understanding between Fanshawe and another institution where Fanshawe has agreed to accept a block of another institution's courses for credit (either one whole semester, one year, or more). If you do not find what you are looking for on ONTransfer.ca, contact our Advising Centre at 519-452-4277 or advising@fanshawec.ca.
  2. Go to ontariocolleges.ca and apply for the Fanshawe College program you are interested in. On the screen where it asks you what level you want to start in, chose a level greater than 1. Call 1-888-892-2228 for assistance.
  3. Once Fanshawe has received the application information from ontariocolleges.ca, an acknowledgement letter will be sent to the applicant requesting certified post-secondary transcripts and other documentation.

External credit: You have taken course(s) at another institution

If you wish to get credit for a number of courses (not a full semester or a full year), you can apply for "external credit". This is credit granted by the College for one Fanshawe College course on the basis of previous post-secondary academic achievement at another approved institution or as defined in an approved articulation agreement. Courses will have at least 75% comparable content and learning outcomes. A minimum grade of C must be achieved to grant the external credit. Some courses or programs may have exceptions to the minimum grade.

How to apply for external credit

  1. Wait until after you have applied for and been accepted into a program at Fanshawe College.
  2. Consider what courses you may be eligible to receive external credit for. Each program lists their courses on their program page.
  3. Search the ONTransfer.ca website. Look for “Course Transfers”. This is a database of courses at Ontario colleges and universities that other students have been given credit for. The database is not complete and you may get credit for a course even if it is not listed on the website, but this is a good place to start.
  4. Collect your transcripts and course outlines for any course you wish to receive credit. The course outline must list the learning outcomes for the course.
  5. An Application for External Credit form is available from the Office of the Registrar. Submit this form with your course documentation.
  6. A professor will assess your request for credit. This can take two to six weeks. You should submit your request for credit one to two months prior to starting a course. If you submit the request while registered in the course you wish to receive credit for, continue to attend classes and do the work until you receive approval for the credit transfer.

Please note there is no fee for an External Credit application.