Fanshawe offers a range of credentials and we can help you find the right one to meet your goals.

Types of internal pathways

Apprenticeship to Certificate/Diploma: Fanshawe offers a range of Apprenticeship programs. In some cases, students have the opportunity to be exempted from Level 1 of a related Certificate or Diploma program.

Certificate to Diploma: Fanshawe offers one-year certificate programs, including preparatory studies, to explore your interests and prepare you for the next step. After completing your certificate, you'll be ready to apply for the diploma program of your choice.

Diploma to Advanced Diploma: Start with a two-year diploma to build foundational knowledge in your chosen field of study. Upon successful completion of your diploma, you may have the option to advance your education simply by completing the third year of an advanced diploma program.

Diploma/Advanced Diploma to Degree: If you've successfully completed a diploma or advanced diploma, you may be eligible to bridge into a degree program, allowing you to get a degree in a shorter period of time and start your career faster.

Diploma/Advanced Diploma/Degree/Work Experience to Graduate Certificate: Make the most of your education with a one-year graduate certificate program built on the knowledge and skills you've acquired through your past post-secondary education and employment experience. A diploma, advanced diploma, degree or an acceptable combination of work experience and post-secondary education is required for admission.

General Arts and Science Pathways

General Arts and Science to Diploma and Advanced Diplomas:  As a graduate of General Arts and Science, you have the opportunity to transfer into other diploma, advanced diploma, or degree at Fanshawe.  The following internal credits will be automatically applied to your next program: 

  • WRIT-1030
  • General Education Electives**

   *    Does not include COMM courses in the School of Health Sciences or the Faculty of Technology
   **  Does not include Languages, Science or Math courses (academic upgrading courses)


Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma to General Arts and Science:  

As a current student, you can gain credit from your current program after transferring into General Arts and Science.  You can receive the following internal credits based on your previous study:

  • WRIT-1030
  • General Education Electives**
  • Up to 9 credits (3 courses) from your current program***

   *      Does not include COMM courses in the School of Health Sciences or the Faculty of Technology
   **    Does not include Languages, Science or Math (academic upgrading courses)
   *** You must complete a minimum of 9 credits (3 courses) to successfully complete the General Arts and Science program.  

Program transfer: Transferring from one Fanshawe program into another

Program transfer means transferring from one post-secondary program at Fanshawe College to another post-secondary program at Fanshawe College beyond level one. Note: Applications to Level One must be submitted through

How to apply for program transfer

  1. Complete and submit an Application for Re-Admission/Program Transfer form. Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar and should be submitted directly to the same office.
  2. Each program division is responsible for establishing its policies and procedures for evaluating applications for program transfer. The academic manager is responsible for approving or not approving an application for program transfer.
  3. Program transfer is assessed on a course-by-course basis.
  4. The Office of the Registrar will contact the applicant once the decision is made.

Internal credit: You have taken course(s) at Fanshawe

Internal credit is credit granted by the College for one Fanshawe College course on the basis of previous credit achieved in a different Fanshawe College course. Courses will have at least 75% comparable content and learning outcomes. A minimum passing grade must be achieved to grant the Internal Credit. Some courses or programs may require a higher grade. Once approved, Internal Credits will show on your Program Evaluation Summary (EVAL) in WebAdvisor.

Missing a Fanshawe course?

If you think you're missing credit on your transcript, visit the Office of the Registrar to complete an Application for Internal Credit form.