Become a butcher with this one-year certificate program! - 2020/2021
Canada's butchery industry is on the rise and this program will give you all the expertise needed to become a butcher and hit the ground running. You'll build skills in meat processing, product packaging, professional safety standards and customer service, taught by faculty with years of experience in the art of butchery.
Meat cutting is a unique, specialized and highly in-demand trade that offers plenty of job opportunities upon graduating. Jobs include retail or wholesale butchers, industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers, ham cutters, meat trimmers and more!
- Delivered in a state-of-the-art facility and using the latest equipment;
- More than half of class time is spent in hands-on learning labs;
- Apply what you learn by operating a full-service retail meat outlet;
- Allows for a smooth transition into Retail Meat Cutter 245R Apprenticeship;
- Opportunity to earn dual certificates by transitioning into the Culinary Skills program;
- A perfect professional development opportunity for chefs looking to incorporate farm-to-table practices.
Choose a career that is truly cutting edge. Become a butcher and look forward to exciting future ahead!
Admission Requirements - 2020/2021OSSD with courses from the College (C), University (U),
University/College (M), or Open (O) stream WITH:
- Any Grade 12 English (C) or (U)
Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE)
Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate (GED)
Mature Applicant with standing in the required courses stated above
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 79 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.0 with no score less than 5.5 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 60 with no score less than 50 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 53, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 169 with no language skill less than 162, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 70% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 8, 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9, or 70% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Recommended Academic Preparation
- Grade 11 Food and Culture (M)
- Grade 11 Information and Communication Technology: The Digital Environment (O) OR Grade 12 Information and Communication Technology: Multimedia Solutions (C)
- Any Grade 11 or Grade 12 Entrepreneurship (C) or (O)
- Grade 11 and Grade 12 Hospitality and Tourism (C)
- Academic and Career Entrance Certificate (ACE): Business or Technical Mathematics course and Computer Skills course
Recommended Personal Preparation
- Develop an interest in meat cutting by visiting butcher shops, grocery store meat counters and by following meat industry leaders and butchers on social media
- Develop leadership skills
- The person who enters the meat cutting industry should be motivated, responsible, have a high attention to detail and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Employment in the meat industry would be an asset
Applicant Selection CriteriaWhere the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
- Valid Safe Food Handlers Certificate
Careers - 2020/2021
Career OpportunitiesMeat cutting is a unique, specialized and highly in-demand trade that offers plenty of job opportunities upon graduating. Jobs include retail or wholesale butchers, industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers, ham cutters, meat trimmers and more.
More Information - 2020/2021A One-Year Ontario College Certificate ProgramProgram Code: PBT1
Campus Code: LCD (LCD - London Downtown)
15 week terms
Academic Calendars available at www.fanshawec.ca/academicdates
ContactSchool of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts: 519-452-4289
Program DescriptionProfessional Butchery Techniques is an Ontario College Certificate program that will provide students with the comprehensive theoretical and practical knowledge to be successful in the growing meat processing industry. Throughout the program, students will engage with industry professionals to learn the latest techniques for meat cutting, with a focus on specific skills in trimming, deboning, carcass breakdown, and sausage making. Additionally, students will learn how to package and market meat products for resale. The program will have a strong emphasis on sanitation and food safety. Throughout the two term program, students will have the opportunity both to work substantially in the lab, practicing hands-on skills, and to build customer service and entrepreneurial skills by participating in the launch and operation of a small business: a full-service retail meat outlet.