Winter 2022 Orientation - Tuesday, January 4
Welcome to our Fanshawe College community! We want to ensure you feel confident and supported in your transition to college. We want you to finish well, and that requires us to help you start strong.
Tuesday, January 4, 2022:
Orientation day for all students starting in a new program in any level.
Wednesday, January 5, 2022:
Classes for the Winter 2022 semester begin. Please follow your regular class schedule starting on this day through WebAdvisor (available December 9, 2021).
Orientation day and program orientation information
Orientation day schedule
The Winter 2022 orientation day schedule will be announced at a later date. Please check back here and watch your email for more information.
All program orientations for the Winter 2022 will occur on orientation day -- Tuesday, January 4. We will announce more information on how to access at a later date.
Why should I attend orientation? Do I have to go?
- Orientation is a great opportunity to learn more about Fanshawe College and what to expect now that you're here! With this in mind, it is strongly encouraged you attend orientation.
Can I attend orientation events if I'm an online student?
- Yes! All Fanshawe students studying in any format can attend all orientation events, whether online or in-person.
Can I bring a guest / non-Fanshawe student to orientation events?
- No, all orientation events are for registered Fanshawe students only.
Does orientation cost anything?
- No, there is no fee for attending orientation.
Are all orientation events accessible?
- Yes! To confirm that our events suit your specific needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what you require so that we can ensure we have the appropriate accommodations in place for you when you arrive.
Do you have a documented disability? Register with Accessibility Services to receive academic accommodations before you begin class! Follow these instructions to start.
How can I connect with other incoming students, upper-year students and staff?
- One of the easiest ways is to reach out over social media! Join our Fanshawe first year Facebook group, connect with us on Discord, Twitter and Instagram, or contact the Fanshawe Student Union.
I'm arriving late / I was admitted late. Can I still participate?
- Of course! The easiest way for us to accommodate late registration is to know in advance when you'll be coming. Please email email@example.com so we can help direct you to your next step.
Program delivery and class schedules
- Program delivery for the Winter 2022 semester will be announced at a later date.
- Class schedules for the Winter 2022 semester will be available on December 9 by logging into WebAdvisor.
- Don't know your login? You would have received an email from Fanshawe with your username and password when you first applied. If you cannot find the email, you can reset your password HERE with your username (if you know it) or your student number.
What does it mean if an online course is “synchronous” or “asynchronous”?
- Synchronous: students attend live virtual sessions with the professor and the class. (ex: office hours, check-ins, problem solving or group work)
- Asynchronous: students can access content and work on activities independently at a time that is convenient for them.
In-person (on-campus) services and supports
In-person services and supports
For a full list of open, virtual and closed student supports, please check the myFanshawe student portal under the "Student Resources" section. Log into myFanshawe with the same username and password you use for WebAdvisor and FanshaweOnline):
Are you studying at a Regional Campus?
More information will be posted at a later date.
Coming to campus: COVID-19, wayfinding, parking and bus pass info
Are you required to come on campus?
COVID Training Module
You will be required to complete the "COVID Training Winter 2022" module on FanshaweOnline. We will inform you when it is available.
We also recommend you download the following two applications:
- Fanshawe Stay Safe app (iOS / Android); conduct a self-screening each day you are on campus
- Canada COVID Alert app (iOS / Android)
Construction detours - London Campus
Watch the video below for information about getting around the London Campus during renovations (or view campus map).
How will I know how often I will need to come to campus?
- Check your class schedule (available December 9 for students starting in January / Winter 2022) on WebAdvisor. We expect students will only come to campus when required for in-person labs and classrooms, which will be indicated on your class schedule.
Need to park on campus?
London Campus: $2.50 per entry in the general parking lots (Lot 5 & 8) available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Downtown Campus: Please park in one of the municipal lots located downtown. Parking fees vary by lot.
Regional Campuses: Parking is free at each of the Regional Campus lots.
For more information, please visit our Transportation, Parking and Lockers page.
How do I get a bus pass?
Your Fanshawe Student ID card (FANCard) is also your bus pass. Please visit the FANCard page, the Fanshawe Student Union website, the London Transit Commission (LTC) website or our Transportation, Parking and Lockers page for more information.
I'm an international student coming to Fanshawe. When should I plan to arrive in Canada?
Unvaccinated students coming to Canada are required to complete a 14-day quarantine period upon arrival, and quarantine plans must be approved by Fanshawe. Please see the Fanshawe Cares – Arrival Services page for more information.
What international student sessions can I attend before orientation?
Fanshawe Cares, Fanshawe Works and the International Welcome are just some of the events specifically designed for international students around orientation! These events have passed for the fall. If you missed these sessions, email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you have any other questions, please email us at email@example.com to speak to someone in the International Office.
Returning (Level 2+) students
Welcome back, returning students!
- Fanshawe continues to be Here For You as you start your next semester. Visit fanshawec.ca/hereforyou or log in to the myFanshawe student portal for more info.
- Are you in an upper-year (Level 2+) program orientation? More information will be posted at a later date. Please check back here and watch your email for more info.
- Need a refresher on FanshaweOnline (FOL)? We have a series of pre-recorded videos explaining FOL. Watch the full playlist here our Fanshawe YouTube page.
- InSPIRE Mentoring: InSPIRE is Fanshawe’s official student mentorship experience. Three different pillars to accommodate different career goals and industries: Peer-to-peer, Industry Matching, and Build-your-own. Whether you want to pass knowledge down to other students or build lasting connections for your future, learn more about being either a mentor or a mentee at fanshawec.ca/inspire.
Conquering your first 30 days - student services guide
Your first month at Fanshawe will be a busy one; here's a helpful guide to get you started on the many services available to you. Also, see our "Student Services Showcase" tab above to join helpful info sessions after orientation day:
Stay in Touch
Health and Wellness
Other frequently asked questions
What is a FANCard? When and how do I get it?
- Your FANCard is your official identification card at Fanshawe College and all-access pass to Fanshawe resources, including Student ID, bus pass, room and building access, meal plans, health plans, and more! Visit fanshawec.ca/fancard to learn more and how to pick up.
How do I access my FanshaweOnline (FOL) username/password?
- Please email the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, you can follow these steps to reset your password.
How do I access my student number and/or confirmation of enrolment letter?
- Step 1: Log in to WebAdvisor.
- Step 2: Select the Student tab on the right hand side of the page.
- Step 3: Under the Academic Profile heading, select:
My Profile tab to locate your 7-digit student number
Verification of Enrolment Letter tab to access a confirmation of enrolment letter. (If you are unable to access your confirmation of enrolment letter, please email email@example.com.)
How can I be successful as an online learner?
- You can watch this video on how to be a successful online learner created by our eLearning Coordinators at your convenience.
What can I do to prepare myself for my semester?
- Check out the "Conquering your first 30 days" tab above.
A message from Fanshawe President Peter Devlin
A message from FSU President Ricardo Souza
Do you have any more questions?
Note: As of November 1, 2018, all Fanshawe campuses have gone smoke-free. For more information visit https://www.fanshawec.ca/about-fanshawe/corporate-info/smoke-free-fanshawe.