Choosing your post-graduate program after college or university can be tough. It affects all aspects of your life: financially, balance, career prospects and even family. It’s important to understand the differences between program options and make a decision that will set you down the right path.
Why choose a graduate certificate?
- If a Master’s degree is the end goal, some use this as a pathway to gaining admission into grad school
- Courses towards industry designations are often embedded into the curriculum, or you’ll graduate prepared to write final exams for designations
- They are more vocational in nature, providing real-world, hands-on experience
- Less time and money is required for this option, all while allowing you to upskill your current knowledge-base and gain valuable experience along the way
Why choose a Master’s degree?
- If a PhD is the end goal, this is the pathway to achieving this goal
- This is a great way to develop more expertise in a particular subject of interest
- Some careers may require a Master’s degree
- Most programs include the opportunity to complete a thesis, which accounts for most of the credits in the program, and also demonstrates research ability and knowledge of the subject
Not sure what the difference is between a graduate certificate and Master’s degree? Check out this blog for the answer.