Automotive Service Technician (GM-ASEP) [Apprenticeship]
Specialize in GM vehicles as an Automotive Service Technician - 2021/2022
The General Motors Automotive Service Educational Program (GM ASEP) enables you to fulfill the in-class requirements for your General Motors Automotive Service Technician Apprenticeship. General Motors designed GM ASEP to prepare Automotive Service Technician apprentices for a career with GM dealerships. GM ASEP classroom instructors are trained by General Motors in the latest automotive technologies.
Applicants to the Automotive Service Technician GM program must be:
- Currently employed at a General Motors dealer
- Formally registered as an apprentice with the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD)
- In receipt of a valid Offer of Classroom Training from the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) that includes your Ministry Client ID and approved Class Number
Over a 4-year period, GM ASEP students (automotive apprentices) alternate between formal in-class training at Fanshawe College, and hands-on work terms onsite at their sponsoring GM dealer. The work terms allow apprentices to apply their theoretical and practical skills while working on GM vehicles for actual GM customers.
- Are given the opportunity to develop their skills on new GM vehicles, training components and various aids; and also
- Develop the ability to identify and analyze problems and apply appropriate solutions
GM ASEP is well-suited for people who:
- Enjoy a hands-on approach to learning about the automotive industry.
- Have strong observational and analytical skills.
- Enjoy working as a member of a team.
Upon completion of the GM ASEP program, graduates must pass the Federal Red Seal Examination in order to qualify for a Certificate of Qualification in the Automotive Services Technician trade.
If you are an apprentice or want to become one, visit Skilled trades | Ontario.ca for detailed information. Be sure to declare that you are interested in GM ASEP:
- When registering with the province, AND ALSO
- By sending an email indicating your intent to register in GM ASEP to the GM ASEP program coordinator.
This is an apprenticeship program. You cannot apply to this program through ontariocolleges.ca. Applicants need a sponsor/employer. Your sponsor/employer must register you with:
The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
72-1200 Commissioners Road East
London, Ontario, N5Z 4R3
MLTSD is responsible for scheduling your in-school training at Fanshawe College.
Graduates of Fanshawe’s Automotive Service Technician (Day Release) [Apprenticeship] program will be prepared for positions within the transportation industry such as service manager, service consultant, service advisor, parts advisor, warranty administrator and customer relations.
Did you know Fanshawe consistently ranks high in graduation employment rates among large colleges in Ontario?
Here are some examples of career opportunities for graduates of Fanshawe’s Automotive Service Management program:
Preventative Maintenance Technician
Perform repair and preventative maintenance for the company’s fleet of vehicles.
Customer Service Representative
Explain what work is required and the cost of those services, answering questions and providing information to customers on behalf of a growing auto parts company.