Going back to school. Is it the right time?
Choosing to go back to school can be tough, especially if you’ve been out of school for a few years (or many years). A lot of questions can come to mind ...
- What if I’m too old to go back to school?
- I’ve been out of school for so long, will I be able to be a good student again?
- Do I have the time and energy for school while I’m working and looking after my family?
- School has changed so much since I was last there, will I understand the technology?
- Will going back to school really help me get a better job?
- What program will be right for me and get me a career I enjoy?
- How long will it take to graduate and find a job?
- Is Fanshawe right for me? It’s so big!
All of these questions can be a bit overwhelming and without the right support and information, they can be roadblocks that prevent you from pursuing your educational goals. Let us give you the support and information you need to make an informed decision about going back to school.
You’re never too old to go back to school!
For example, in 2018, Fanshawe had 8,117 first-year students. Of those:
- 57% were 20 - 24 years old - that is more than 4,600 students!
- 23% were 25 - 29 years old - that is more than 1,800 students!
- 11% were over 30 years old - that is more than 800 students!
There are lots of student support to help you be successful!
- Academic upgrading
- Accessibility services and accommodations
- Peer tutoring and testing centres
- Online learning support
- Counselling services
- Wellness and fitness centres
- Career mentorship programs
- Resume and interview workshops
- Financial readiness supports
A campus that feels right to you!
Find a school that not only has the program you want, but also feels right to you. Fanshawe offers six campus locations and five regional sites all in varying sizes. Mature students add life experience and perspective to the classroom and are a big part of each campus. With locations in London, St. Thomas, Simcoe, Woodstock and Huron-Bruce, you have the flexibility to choose a campus that is conveniently located and offer either the city vibe or a smaller community feel.
It’s all about options and finding a school that fits your life!
Programs and courses come in a multitude of delivery formats - full-time, part-time, continuing education, online, continuous intake and modular formats. At Fanshawe’s regional campuses, we even have myPath programs that give you ultimate flexibility in short-term, career-focused programs.
Education that leads to jobs!
Going back to school is a short term investment for long-term gain. Colleges offer career-focused programs that are developed based on labour market demand and with the help of our employer partners. Fanshawe builds its curriculum around a core concept - include as much hands-on experience and exposure to employers as possible … and it shows:
- 90.3% of Fanshawe graduates get jobs after graduation - the highest among Ontario colleges!
- Fanshawe posted over 2,300 paid cooperative education positions in 2018, along with many placements, internships and volunteer opportunities to gain valuable work experience while learning.
- LEAP Junction has helped student entrepreneurs start over 55 successful business in the past three years.
Fanshawe’s Fall 2019 Open House is Saturday, November 16, 2019, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Visit our drop-in space geared to mature learners at the London campus. Our Return to Learning spot is located in the Student Centre and includes representatives from across the College.
Don’t forget about our regional campuses! Small but mighty, our smaller campuses provide a high energy Fanshawe experience and a highly personalized exploration of college that will help you get answers to all of your questions.