Pulled pork chili
February 28 is National Chili Day! This mouth-watering recipe was a first-place winner at multiple rib and bacon fests in 2018:
30 ml olive oil
450 g trinity mirepoix (one medium onion, one stick of celery and one green pepper, diced)
50 g jalapeño diced
4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
30 ml tequila
250 ml chicken stock
50 g tomato paste
150 g canned tomatoes with juice
500 g smoke pulled pork
700 g red and white kidney beans, rinsed in cold water
150 g sliced mushrooms (sautéed well, season with salt and pepper)
Cilantro or parsley to taste, chopped
Dry seasoning ingredients:
8 g paprika
8 g cumin
6 g salt
5 g chili powder
5 g dry oregano
4 g black pepper
- On medium heat in a medium pot, stir olive oil, trinity mirepoix, fresh garlic and jalapeños 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add tequila, flambé or burn the liquor.
- Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes.
- Add pulled pork, dry seasoning ingredients, chicken stock and kidney beans; bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, sauces and chopped cilantro (or chopped parsley if you prefer). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with baked tortilla, cheddar cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
About the expert
Jorge Gonzalez is a student in the Culinary Management program at Fanshawe College. Jorge came to Canada 20 years ago from Venezuela, settling first in British Columbia before moving to southwestern Ontario.
His knowledge of mixing ingredients to make perfect Latin American food was learned at a young age by watching his grandma and mother do their cooking with wood.
Subscribe to our Blog
- Fanshawe’s commitment to academic quality and student success is stronger than ever.
- In 2018, Ayden Miller (keyboard/synthesizer), Stefan Boulineau (lead vocals) and Cole Wilson (lead guitar) formed their band New Friends while working together in the studio of Fanshawe Music Industry Arts program.