Mobile Application Development - 2021/2022
MAP2 is available to Canadian students only. Please see MAP1 for international student offerings.
The one-year Mobile Applications Development post-grad program will focus on fundamental mobile computer programming topics. If you have a passion for coding, computers and phones, and you’re ready to specialize your skills to land your dream job as a computer programmer in the mobile space, this mobile app development certificate is for you.
Enhance your IT career with a specialization in mobile application development
Mobile Application Development is a one-year Ontario College Graduate Certificate. This program is designed for college or university graduates that want to leverage their existing post-secondary education in information technology.
This program will focus on fundamental mobile computer programming topics and you’ll develop the in-depth, in-demand and specialized mobile computer programming knowledge employers are looking for including:
- mobile development for both Android and iOS;
- cross-platform mobile development;
- mobile web development including progressive web applications;
- mobile database development (local and cloud storage); and
- UI/UX, AI/ML and Security topics will be explored for use in the mobile platform.
If you’re looking for an exciting and rewarding career in the information technology sector, this mobile application development program is for you!
Admission Requirements - 2021/2022
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Recommended Academic Preparation
- Previous Information Technology post-secondary education and/or training and/or work experience.
Applicant Selection CriteriaWhere the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
Mobile Application Development-2021/2022
|INFO-6124||Android Application Development 1||4|
|This course is an introduction to designing and developing native Android applications. Students will gain hands-on experience in developing and deploying mobile applications on Android devices. Students will be introduced to the android framework, designing user interfaces, data persistence, location-based applications, telephony, debugging and testing.|
|INFO-6125||iOS Application Development 1||4|
|This course is an introduction to programming on Apple's iOS. Students will be introduced to Objective-C/Swift, XCode, Cocoa Touch frameworks, memory management, designing on different form factor, designing user interfaces, data persistence, location-based applications, telephony, debugging and testing.|
|INFO-6126||Mobile Application UI/UX Design||3|
|This course provides students with an introduction to UI/UX for mobile platforms. Students will examine special features of mobile UI design, application design steps, creating visual appeal, and application usability. Students will learn concepts, techniques, practices, and tools for design such as Material Design, MVVM and data binding.|
|INFO-6127||Enterprise Tech for Mobile Platforms||3|
|This course provides students with the foundation of back-end enterprise technologies that are used to develop mobile applications in an enterprise environment. Students will investigate modern back-end technologies. The course focuses on the architectural design approaches, architectural styles for the APIs, execution environments, and databases.|
|INFO-6128||Mobile Web Development||3|
|Students will learn to develop progressive web apps that work on mobile devices that appear like traditional native mobile applications. The student will also learn device features such as the camera and geolocation in your web apps and utilize push notifications to increase user engagement with your web app.|
|INFO-6129||Cross Platform Mobile Development||3|
|INFO-6130||Android Application Development 2||4|
|In this course, students learn advanced concepts on Android devices. Focus will be on Android Services, multithreading and asynchronous processing, 2D and 3D graphics applications, and implement cloud-to-device messaging. Students will also explore Android multimedia APIs, and advanced topics on application publication and distribution.|
|INFO-6131||iOS Application Development 2||4|
|In this course students will examine topics such as data-driven applications, advanced UI design and development, developing with XML on the iPhone/iPad, and integrating iPhone/iPad devices with Web Services.|
|INFO-6132||Adv Topics in Mobile Development||4|
|This course will cover advanced topics in mobile apps development. Topics will include combining wearables, Internet of Things, augmented reality, data analytics, artificial intelligence, chat-bots and monetization.|
|INFO-6133||Mobile Security Concepts||3|
|This course focuses on how to build 'hardened' systems that are more resistant to attacks preventing financial losses and damage to the organization's reputation. Not only will students learn how attackers think and operate but will apply that knowledge to secure and improve common mobile applications.|
|This project-based course is designed to allow students to demonstrate the various software development skills that they have been exposed to in previous course offerings. Students are responsible for the entire project development lifecycle and will work in project teams using various tools to develop a single comprehensive solution.|
|COOP-1020||Co-operative Education Employment Prep||1|
|This workshop will provide an overview of the Co-operative Education consultants and students' roles and responsibilities as well as the Co-operative Education Policy. It will provide students with employment preparatory skills specifically related to co-operative education work assignments and will prepare students for their work term.|
Careers - 2021/2022
Fanshawe’s Mobile Application Development program will prepare graduates to take advantage of the growing opportunities in the mobile app development field of information technology. Graduates can expect to be hired as:
- Mobile Developer - analyze, design, implement, mobile applications on Android or iOS platforms
- Junior Computer Programmer - analyze, design, program, implement, configure, integrate, maintain and support various applications.
- Mobile Web Developer - manage a website using innovative strategies to ensure the website is fully optimized and running proficiently to allow for a seamless, user-friendly experience on a mobile device.
- UI/UX Developer - design, develop, maintain front end computer applications for a positive and cohesive user experience on a mobile device
Did you know Fanshawe consistently ranks high in graduate employment rates among large colleges in Ontario?
Here are some examples of career opportunities for graduates of Fanshawe’s Mobile Application Development program:
Manage a website using innovative strategies to ensure the website is fully optimized and running proficiently to allow for a seamless, user-friendly experience.
Front End Web Developer
Web Product Developer
Develop and implement a website, research new technologies and best practices, make recommendations and focus on continuous quality improvement.
- Mobile Developer
- iOS Developer
- Android Developer
- Front-end Developer
- Software Developer
- Mobile Engineer
- Software Engineer
More Information - 2021/2022
A One-Year Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program
Campus Code: LC (LC - London)
15 week terms
Academic Calendars available at www.fanshawec.ca/academicdates
ContactSchool of Information Technology: 519-452-4291
Program DescriptionStudents develop a wide variety of skills related to developing, testing and deploying applications for mobile devices. The main focus of the program is to design mobile applications for the two leading platforms in mobile devices: iOS and Android. Students will develop the capabilities to assess the integration of mobile solutions in existing business functions and processes, build native applications for mobile devices, implement web and enterprise solutions on the mobile platform, and implement user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) design best practices. In their final semester, students will complete a co-operative work placement with an industry partner.
Co-operative EducationThis one-year program has one co-op work term. Students who fulfill both the academic and co-op requirements of the program will be eligible to graduate with a Co-op Endorsed Certificate. More information about Co-operative Education can be found at www.fanshawec.ca/co-op.
- Implement native mobile applications for different mobile platforms;
- Develop solution architectures to support client mobile applications by applying the principles and best practices of enterprise architecture and data management;
- Develop creative concepts for mobile applications that meet innovation, entrepreneurship and social enterprise objectives;
- Develop secure mobile applications by implementing the security principles, standards, and best practices of mobile application development;
- Develop usable, friendly, fast, and reliable mobile applications by applying the principles and best practices of User Interface design and experience (UI/UX);
- Work independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary team, to develop mobile application solutions for a business;
- Use industry standard testing methodologies to ensure software quality and improve software performance;
- Apply strategies for personal, career and professional development to enhance work performance and maintain currency with industry and technological changes;
- Comply with relevant laws, industry standards, guidelines and best practices in the design and implementation of mobile applications;
- Communicate complex information technology solutions verbally, in writing and digitally for a variety of audiences and purposes.
For information about Program Pathways visit www.fanshawec.ca/programpathways.
Program DetailsMore details
2022/2023 academic year: Refer to the More Info tab to view offerings for the 2022/23 academic year. Canadian students can start applying in early October for programs with Sep. 2022, Jan. 2023 and May 2023 start dates through ontariocolleges.ca.