We understand that making the transition to college life can be a big challenge. That's why we have organized events to help make that transition a little easier.
Our transition team visits area high schools and agencies and provides presentations about our services.
Every spring, we offer Discovery Days, a chance for high school students with accessibility needs to visit our main campus and find out more about Fanshawe and Accessibility Services. Students get to try out new technology, learn about our services, win prizes, and meet successful college students. It's a fun day for everyone!
Fanshawe hosts an Open House in both the spring and the fall. You can tour the college, speak to professors and students in many different programs, attend an accessibility services information session, tour the residence and learn about college services. It's a great way to see what the college has to offer.
Students with disabilities who will be starting their programs in September can attend our Fast Forward to Fanshawe workshops in August. These full day workshops are designed to help you get ready for your first semester as an adult college student. We run both general workshops as well as specialized sessions for mature students and for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Current Sessions for August 2017
- Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) on Tuesday, August 15, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Main Campus, Room D2017
- Parents of Students with ASD on Wednesday, August 16, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Main Campus, Room F2005
- Mature Students (out of school 8+ years) on Tuesday, August 22, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Main Campus, Room F2010
- Students attending school at the Centre for Digital and Performing Arts (CDPA) on Thursday, August 24, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., CDPA, 137 Dundas Street
- All Other Students on Tuesday, August 29, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Main Campus, Room F2010
Students with mental health concerns can sign up for STEPping into Fanshawe, a two-day workshop focused on developing skills and strategies to help manage the transition as well as learning about campus services and supports. Register now or contact Counselling and Accessibility Services for more information.
August 24 & 25, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Main Campus, Merlin House R3, Cost $50.
This is a two-day workshop that includes:
- Stress management strategies
- Tips for balancing self-care and healthy living
- Strategies for academic success, including note taking & time management
- Review of campus resources
- Tips for adjusting to college life.
Students will be better able to manage stress, anxiety and other issues impacting mental health and improve their academic performance.
Sometimes students with higher needs would like to discuss their particular situation before making a decision about attending college. We offer individual pre-admission interviews with an Accessibility Services counsellor for those students who need a more individualized discussion.