Understanding the clinical/field pre-placement process

What can I do to prepare for my placement before I arrive in Canada?

Prior to arriving in Canada, you should review and become familiar about the Pre-Placement Process and carefully read your program's Professional Practice Health Form. Knowing your program’s due date (located in the upper right hand corner of your health form) and using the checklist at the back of your health form will help keep you on track to completing the requirements when you arrive.

If you have vaccination and/or immunization records from your country of origin, please bring the original documents with you. Having these documents may accelerate the process.

Once you arrive in Canada, you will need to confirm your medical and non-medical requirements.

What should I do when I arrive at Fanshawe? Can I get help with my pre-placement requirements?

The Fowler Kennedy Clinic is located at the London Campus and can help you meet your medical requirements. The Clinic staff are familiar with your program’s Professional Practice Health Form and are qualified to discuss your personal medical needs.

If you have your vaccination/immunization records from your country of origin, you may want to consider having these translated. Please contact the Cross Cultural Centre in London for translation services.

Requirements may vary by program. Please review your program's Professional Practice Health Form carefully as you may be required to provide additional documentation.

We want to make sure this process is not a difficult one and we understand you may have questions along the way. We have provided you with a step-by-step guide to assist you with the process. You may also contact your Pre-Placement Coordinator if you have any questions throughout the process.

Do I require a Co-op Work Permit?

Yes, in addition to the medical and non-medical requirements, all international students who will be completing a field placement for their program will require a Co-op Work Permit. If you require assistance or have any questions regarding the Co-op Work Permit, our staff at the International Office will be able to help you.

Who pays for the costs associated with the Professional Practice Health Form?

Students are responsible for all costs related to placement. The costs associated vary upon each student's needs. The College does not have any control over these costs. For more information, please visit our International Students Pre-Placement Costs page. The costs are approximate and may change without notice.

Still have questions?

For any additional questions or support, please contact your Pre-Placement Coordinator. Our staff located in the International Office are also available to assist you.