Learn more about our 3D design program - 2020/2021
Characters are the heart of every game, video, or marketing campaign. They're at the heart of your interest in 3D Animation, too. Bring your characters to life. Make them breathe. Give them a personality.
With the 3D Animation and Character Design program, you'll hone your previous multi-media skills into a valued and sought-after skill in the job market. You'll animate your ideas for game engines/development by life drawing and storyboarding, 3D modeling, texture mapping and lighting, character design, video editing and audio effects creation.
You'll develop your creative concepts with like-minded and creative classmates. You'll plan and manage projects. With every step of the program, you'll see your ideas and dreams come to life.
You'll be prepared to work as a 3D animator, character designer, effects artist, storyboard artist and level designer for the film, video, animation and game industries. Your skills will help you land jobs with companies creating television commercials, industrial and commercial videos, and educational material. How about architecture or real estate designs and promotions? These days, your skills will take you to limitless places.
Your ability to create characters while nurturing your love of design is the first step. Taking these passions into the dynamic media technology sector will be your destiny.
Admission Requirements - 2020/2021
A College Diploma, or College Advanced Diploma, or College Graduate Certificate in:
- Multi Media Design and Production OR
- Interactive Media Design and Production OR
- Interactive Media Design OR
- Visual Arts OR
- Broadcasting - Television OR
- Interactive Media Specialist OR
- Advanced Multimedia OR
- Broadcast Television - Digital Post-Production OR
- Advanced Filmmaking OR
- Visual Effects and Editing for Contemporary Media OR
- Graphic Design OR
- Game - Design
A Degree in Fine Arts, Media or Design
An equivalent qualification from another institution as judged by the College
A combination of relevant education and work experience in a related field as judged by the College to be equivalent to the above and completion of a portfolio*
*The portfolio submission is required to demonstrate creative and technical abilities (any combination of graphic design, print, traditional and digital illustration, 3D computer work, life drawing, etc.).
English Language Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English by one of the following methods:
- A Grade 12 College Stream or University Stream English credit from an Ontario Secondary School, or equivalent, depending on the program's Admission Requirements
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test with a minimum score of 88 for the Internet-based test (iBT), with test results within the last two years
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test with an overall score of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years. SDS Program Requirements.
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test with an overall score of 70 with no score less than 60 in any of the four bands, with test results within the last two years
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a minimum score of 59, with test results within the last two years
- A Cambridge English Test (FCE/CAE/CPE) with an overall score on the Cambridge English Scale of 176 with no language skill less than 169, with test results within the last two years
- An English Language Evaluation (ELE) at Fanshawe College with a minimum score of 75% in all sections of the test, with test results within the last two years
- Fanshawe College ESL4/GAP5 students: Minimum grade of 80% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 9 or 75% in ESL4/GAP5 Level 10
Recommended Academic Preparation
- It is highly recommended that students have previous visual arts education or training.
Applicant Selection CriteriaWhere the number of eligible applicants exceeds the available spaces in the program, the Applicant Selection Criteria will be:
- Preference for Permanent Residents of Ontario
- Receipt of Application by February 1st (After this date, Fanshawe College will consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis until the program is full)
- Achievement in the Admission Requirements
- Assessment of Applicant's skill set relevant to the program based on Portfolio*
3D Animation and Character Design-2020/2021
Level 1 MMED-6010 Life Drawing & Character Studies 3 In this course students will be introduced to the fundamentals of life drawing and the human form. A variety of techniques will be covered in class. Emphasis will be placed on the technical side of life drawing with the goal of understanding composition, proportion and structure. Observational drawing techniques will include, gesture, contour, shape, form, perspective and colour. In addition to traditional drawing techniques, students will analyze and explore current trends in the industry with relation to digital character creation and design. MMED-6011 Modeling Foundation 3 This course is an introduction to the fundamentals of 3D modeling using contemporary modeling software which will include, but not be limited to, basic modeling techniques, concepts and workflows for creating 3D character and environment models as well as an introduction to tools and functionality. MMED-6012 Animation for Characters-Intro 3 In this course students will explore the basic foundational principles of animation. Topics will include stretch and squash, anticipation, timing, arcs and exaggeration. Students will utilize their drawing expertise by adding realistic motion and emotion to simple digital characters. Traditional planning for digital techniques will be explored. MMED-6020 Pre-Production 2 This course will teach planning, troubleshooting and time management in order to make the student a more viable artist. There will also be assignments to build related skillsets like storyboarding and rigging which will support other courses in the program. MMED-6014 Texture, Lighting & Rendering 1 3 In this course student will be introduced to a variety of software, concepts, and techniques used daily by industry professionals to texture, light, and render 3D objects and environments. It will cover core principles, and their practical application; challenging students to experiment, develop and showcase their skills, while rendering characters and environments in 3D space. Level 2 MMED-6015 Anatomy & Character Study 3 This course will build on the foundation of Life Drawing and Character Studies. Emphasis will be on developing technical ability with relation to drawing and sculpting the human form. MMED-6016 Modeling-Adv 3 This course will be a continuation of the 3D theories and principles learned in the previous class Modeling Foundation. Sculpting full character with gear and clothing as well as simple environmental objects for use in a rendering engine will be explored. MMED-6017 Animation for Characters 2 3 This course will cover more advanced animation concepts using fully articulated characters. More complex physical action will be explored along with acting and performance. Motion Capture will be used as well as facial animation and lip sync. MMED-6018 Project Development Thesis 3 This course will focus on planning the final integrated assignment as well as smaller assignments. Emphasis will be on the planning for the production pipeline. This includes concept pitch, storyboard, 3d layout to final output. MMED-6019 Digital Character Project/Thesis 3 This term is very collaborative in tying most of the classes together for each project. There will be opportunities for group work in the course as students plan their final integrated assignment.. The primary focus of this course is a continuation of the concepts from Texture, Lighting and Rendering 1. More advanced texturing techniques will be taught including Normal maps, Specular, Glow, etc.
Careers - 2020/2021
Career OpportunitiesGraduates of this program will be prepared to work as 3D animators, character designers, effects artists, storyboard artists and level designers for the film, video, animation and game industries. They will also be well prepared to work for companies creating television commercials, industrial and commercial videos, and educational material.
More Information - 2020/2021A One-Year Ontario College Graduate Certificate ProgramProgram Code: ANC1
Campus Code: LCD (LCD - London-Downtown)
15 week terms
Academic Calendars available at www.fanshawec.ca/academicdates
ContactSchool of Digital and Performing Arts: (519)-452-4430, ext. 6403
Program DescriptionThis Graduate Certificate program (two consecutive terms in length) will build upon the students' prior technical knowledge. Successful graduates of the program will learn every skill used in the creation of 3D animated characters for use in game engines/development including: life drawing and storyboarding, 3D modeling and animation, shaders, texture mapping and lighting, character design, video editing and audio effects. Concept development, team work, strategic planning and project management will be integral components of the program.Learning Outcomes
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
1. Execute creative concepts and ideas through a variety and combination of techniques including hand drawn, computer generated, 2D and 3D storyboards and animatics.
2. Create sophisticated models for the entertainment, medical, and architectural industries.
3. Create 3D characters and creatures ranging from life-like and anatomically correct, to cartoon and anime styles.
4. Combine texture mapping, shaders, lighting environments, animating cameras and ‘rigs' for 3D models and characters in animation sequences.
5. Synthesize a wide variety of digital effects in the creation of environment and creature materials and textures.
6. Apply 3D techniques that demonstrate characters with realistic motion and a full range of emotion in animated characters.
7. Incorporate 3D animated characters with composited backgrounds utilizing special effects.
8. Utilize a variety of digital applications including video and audio editing software and technologies.
9. Integrate sophisticated technologies into 3D animated films, videos and games.