What business career is right for me?
Since business is a part of every single industry sector, it’s no surprise that business jobs are constantly in high demand. The area of business is one that is vast and comprises many different career paths. It can be tricky to narrow down which one you ought to travel. You’re in luck because we’ve made it easier for you to explore each of the different categories of business to carefully consider when choosing post-secondary study.
At Fanshawe’s Lawrence Kinlin School of Business, one thing that we pride ourselves on is ensuring you have the right academic pathway to get you where you want to go. Many of our programs begin with common first-year courses in a variety of areas that allow you to sample some of the career paths that this blog will go through. There are also plenty of laddering opportunities that allow you to start in one credential and transfer the credits you earned toward a more advanced credential if you choose. Lastly, we provide graduate options to further specialize your skills in order to get the most of your education and enhance your career opportunities.
- What you’ll learn: foundational skills, perfect for entrepreneurs
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$30,000 CAD (source: https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=entrepreneurship)
- Job opportunities: sole proprietor, small business owner, customer service representative, sales associate
- Read more on business foundations
Business Leadership and Management
- What you’ll learn: financial management, critical thinking and analytical skills, creative problem solving and leadership practices, etc.
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$53,000 CAD (source: https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=business+manager)
- Job opportunities: store or office manager, sales manager, project manager, construction area manager, business analyst, business executive
- Read more on business leadership and management careers
Sales and Marketing
- What you’ll learn: traditional and digital advertising, copywriting, market research and planning, sales fundamentals, sales technologies, etc.
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$52,000 to $57,000 (sources: https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=marketing+entry+level, https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=sales+entry+level)
- Job opportunities: marketing manager, public relations manager, sales manager, Salesforce administrator, social media assistant, content marketing manager, market research analyst
- Read more on sales and marketing careers
Supply Chain and Operations
- What you’ll learn: workflow, project management purchasing, negotiation skills, etc.
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$57,000 CAD (source: https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Supply_Chain_Specialist/Salary)
- Job opportunities: purchasing officer, procurement coordinator, logistics coordinator, warehouse supervisor, operations manager, supply chain analyst
- Read more on supply chain and operations careers
Insurance and Finance
- What you’ll learn: customer service, underwriting, claims investigation, risk analysis, financial management, tax planning, insurance, investments and estate planning, etc.
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$40,000 CAD (sources: https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=insurance+agent, https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=financial+advisor)
- Job opportunities: insurance customer service representative, claims adjuster, insurance agent/broker, investment advisor, financial planner
- Read more on insurance and finance careers
- What you’ll learn: tabulating numbers, analytical skills, decision-making skills, accounting software, etc.
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$55,000 CAD (source: https://ca.talent.com/salary?job=staff+accountant)
- Job opportunities: staff accountant, accounting analyst, bookkeeper, accounts payable and receivable clerk, tax practitioner
- Read more on accounting careers
- What you’ll learn: skills in labour relations, compensation, benefits, recruitment, training, etc.
- Entry-level earning potential: ~$55,000 CAD (source: https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Human_Resources_(HR)_Generalist/Salary)
- Job opportunities: human resources generalist, recruiter, compensation clerk, training and development assistant, human resources manager
- Read more on human resources careers